Now completely lost

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am classed as a border line type 2 diabetic - was told to lose weight and it would resolve ? That's it.
So I bought a glucose meter etc and have been monitoring - and lost weight. My readings today were 5.9 fasting and 5.4 approx two hours or more later.
Doc never said anything about going back - but initially she wasn't happy because a random blood test back in March showed a result of just above 5 - that's all I was told.!
With my current situation does this tell any of my very wise folk on this site anything - nothing is clear at all. I've not been back to the UK since as seemed I was on my own anyway. I'm not on any medication of course.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you google insulin resistance, it will give you a lot of info
ideally, you will reduce your carbs, lose any weight and fatty liver.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video, you wont need to reduce this much, but it give a sold background
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm because carbs don’t give up easy.

testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
food count
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Without knowing anything about you, rather than change your diet drastically, it's probably worth doing as your doctor suggested and losing weight.
This, coupled with more exercise, can greatly reduce insulin resistance.

I found simply cutting my calories, dropping white sugar, flour, bread etc, switching to healthy low GI/GL food, losing the 4 /2 stone and building up muscle, and my insulin resistance was greatly improved.

Your meter will tell you what food you can't handle, before you make a great change though.

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Douglas99 - I have lost over a stone and hate sweet stuff anyway - I seldom have bread or potatoes now - occasionally have a little bit of rice with a curry. Mostly have meat fish or cheese with veg or salad - so not a lot else to modify I don't think. I Love mixed berries usually with full fat yogurt - I think an apple or a pear is an option? Sometimes a glass of red wine is my preference - does that sound anywhere near right to get the result I need in time? You have obviously got it more than right so well done .

I am a pretty busy lady about the house and garden and am involved in lawn green bowling at least twice a week which lasts going on for 2.5 hours and hence plenty of walking up and down the green which I do briskly. I also have a dog which I take out for walks of course.
So that's a little about me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Douglas99 - I have lost over a stone and hate sweet stuff anyway - I seldom have bread or potatoes now - occasionally have a little bit of rice with a curry. Mostly have meat fish or cheese with veg or salad - so not a lot else to modify I don't think. I Love mixed berries usually with full fat yogurt - I think an apple or a pear is an option? Sometimes a glass of red wine is my preference - does that sound anywhere near right to get the result I need in time? You have obviously got it more than right so well done .

I am a pretty busy lady about the house and garden and am involved in lawn green bowling at least twice a week which lasts going on for 2.5 hours and hence plenty of walking up and down the green which I do briskly. I also have a dog which I take out for walks of course.
So that's a little about me.

Many disagree, but I lost the weight by going low fat.
So lean meat, low fat yoghurt, no cheese, I couldn't see why I needed the calories, so I simply ate 800 to 1200 calories a day. Fat used twice as many calories from my allowance, than protein or carbs, carbs being salad or veg in my case.

Exercise is excellent for insulin resistance, so yes, that sounds good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your levels are good, and your present diet looks fine to me.

How much weight do you need to lose still? It is generally a question of consuming less calories than you burn. Get that right and you should lose weight, unless there is some other problem involved. You seem to be on the right track.

I would say keep on as you are. Just watch the starchy foods like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. If you have any of these, keep the portions small and eat the wholemeal varieties. A glass of red wine a day will do you no harm, a bottle a day might!

PS I love my full fat Greek yogurts with berries!

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit 1802 - thank you also for your reply. I think according to what my doc mentioned originally I now need to lose another .stone. I see your BMI is 21.97. Mine was 26 and from what I checked out for me it needs to be 25 max .interestingly I also noted your fasting blood sugar was 5.6 mine has been mostly 5. something or other most mornings - today was 5.9 so I'm quite encouraged by your figures as neither of us are on medication. A bottle of red wine - I'd be under the table so usually just the one or a half a glass more. Lots to choose from here in Portugal is the biggest problem!! Usually with a meal on the balcony - as temps here are still brilliant - just saying !!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Fasting blood sugars are rather unreliable because so many factors outside our control come in to play, not least the dawn phenomenon that affects some people more than others, plus a disturbed night and what you do between getting up and actually testing. (Testing should always be immediately you get up). I tend to also test just before getting in to bed, then compare the two. I am usually fairly flat overnight, with just a few hiccups here and there. When I first started testing back in April, my average fasting was in the low 6's. This has come down, thanks I think, to weight loss and diet.

I envy your meal with wine on a balcony - but please don't mention temps! There is a howling gale with driving rain outside right now. :mad:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Countrykins. Not sure why your doctor was unhappy with a reading of just above 5 that is pretty normal in any scale! You say you have been monitoring - do you have a trend for your morning readings this will tell you if you have been improving or stable or getting worse. Your BMI is also fine. Are you sure your doctor was actually looking at your numbers and/or wasn't just trying to put the willies up you. Well done on losing weight by the way that is great. I would suggest you go back to your docs and get a new blood test and also get a print out of your previous one. Don't change your diet and if anything just go for longer or more walks. Try and target your walks to about an hour after you eat. That is the best time to flatten any blood glucose level.

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't realise that was the best option- but my morning test is as I get up. Haven't been testing last thing so will put that into the regime . Sleep can be interrupted by what I thought was maybe being too hot here although that just could be coincidence now I've read some of the forums. However guess this is a bit of a problem really as some things may be symptoms of diabetes but can also be excused with some other circumstances. Anyway I always want answers so nothing is taken for granted - sorry about your weather my friend was flying out to Sweden from stansted but appears to have got away ok so that's good.

Many thanks again. I wish I could send you sunshine and sangria- but I guess it has to be the thought that counts !!

Reactions: 2 people

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andrew - thank you for your reply - the reply above was for Bluetit1802 just to get my comments into perspective!! !
To be honest I don't know what my doc was looking at as I have been a nurse and taken many readings and 5 mmols was never a problem - in fact always fine- but I gave been out of it for a while now and things change. I should have asked maybe for a bit more info but she was very precise that losing eeight was the answer. I shall be stick thin when i reach her target . I've been there before through illness . Oh well.!!
I am quite happy with the way I am choosing to eat now but as always losing is weight slowing down now.
I am returning to the UK for a short visit soon so will certainly make an appointment with the doc but at least having graduated on here with a bit more insight - I can ask for the relevant personal info and of course some sensible questions.