Low carbs - help needed please (I think)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I also tried yougurt (low fat) with strawberries last nite. Just to test ... but it didn't spike me at all

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I also tried yougurt (low fat) with strawberries last nite. Just to test ... but it didn't spike me at all

The strawberries may have spiked at 1 hour, especially with a low fat yogurt - did you test then? I have strawberries for my breakfast and am almost back to normal at 2 hours. My spike is at 1 hour.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The strawberries may have spiked at 1 hour, especially with a low fat yogurt - did you test then? I have strawberries for my breakfast and am almost back to normal at 2 hours. My spike is at 1 hour.

In fact they dropped .... :)

This morning was 5.8 and my wife cooked some buckwheat pancakes (one teaspoon of sugar) One hour later I was 9.6 So that's them banished I guess. This trial and error is exhausting.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been low carbing for months, are you adding salt to your food?

Low carb is automatically a low salt diet. Worth trying to up it for a few days, to see. Not enough can make you feel very feeble. Potassium and/or magnesium supplements may also help - but it's trial and error, unless you get tested.

Likewise with b12, but I think we should all get tested for b12 and vit D deficiency, just as a precaution.

And I would definitely try upping the fat, for a few days. If you aren't eating enough, the fat will give very rapid relief.
And since you are low carbing, it won't cause weight gain.

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Low carb is automatically a low salt diet. Worth trying to up it for a few days, to see. Not enough can make you feel very feeble. Potassium and/or magnesium supplements may also help - but it's trial and error, unless you get tested.

Likewise with b12, but I think we should all get tested for b12 and vit D deficiency, just as a precaution.

And I would definitely try upping the fat, for a few days. If you aren't eating enough, the fat will give very rapid relief.

Hi Brunneria :)

Yes, I add some salt (not too much) to my vegetables in the evening. Otherwise I have no other salt at all. I can't wait to see my nutritonist next week so I can get some decent advice. It'll be interesting to test again in about 20 minutes so I can see if I've dropped back

Mike

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Low carb is low salt? This is getting more difficult.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Back to 9.0 after 2 hours. Lucky for me I'm feeling OK otherwise I'd be somewhat frustrated

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LC is more salt, use MFP to get 4grams /a level teaspoon a day, supplement what isn't in your food
more fat to top up your calories .....or listen to your dietition and do the opposite

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
LC is more salt, use MFP to get 4grams /a level teaspoon a day, supplement what isn't in your food
more fat to top up your calories .....or listen to your dietition and do the opposite

Thanks Jack.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria :)

Yes, I add some salt (not too much) to my vegetables in the evening. Otherwise I have no other salt at all. I can't wait to see my nutritonist next week so I can get some decent advice. It'll be interesting to test again in about 20 minutes so I can see if I've dropped back

Mike
Oh Mike be careful! I am not sure at all it will be from the nutritionist you get the decent advice!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Oh Mike be careful! I am not sure at all it will be from the nutritionist you get the decent advice!

Thanks :) She's good but I'm going to push her a bit with questions so she's up to date with my readings and now three months into it, I'm slowly coming to grips with what I know my body can tolerate. Put it this way ... I trust the people here with their advice way more than I do anyone else. Yep, we're all different but surely the basics can't be that hard

Mike

alliebee

Mike I'm in to lchf now 8 weeks. I had those symptoms you are getting...everyone suggested more salt and a little more fat...it worked almost instantly. Worth trying?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks :) She's good but I'm going to push her a bit with questions so she's up to date with my readings and now three months into it, I'm slowly coming to grips with what I know my body can tolerate. Put it this way ... I trust the people here with their advice way more than I do anyone else. Yep, we're all different but surely the basics can't be that hard

Mike

I think you're possibly simply not eating enough, going by how you describe your diet, followed by the improvement after downing a high carb drink (Guinness). Why not just try increasing your portion sizes by 25% for a few days.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Mike I'm in to lchf now 8 weeks. I had those symptoms you are getting...everyone suggested more salt and a little more fat...it worked almost instantly. Worth trying?

Thanks AB ... and I agree with that summation. VERY little shaking this morning

Mike

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I think you're possibly simply not eating enough, going by how you describe your diet, followed by the improvement after downing a high carb drink (Guinness). Why not just try increasing your portion sizes by 25% for a few days.

Yep, I tested and spiked with the Guinness but it dropped back dramatically 2 hours after the meal :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, I tested and spiked with the Guinness but it dropped back dramatically 2 hours after the meal :)

I'd have been pathologically jealous astonished if you hadn't spiked.

Have you had similar feelings today?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know how low your version of low carb is, but... Ive been getting progressively lower for about 9 months now. Started at 60-80g, then reduced to 40-60g, then less than 40, and now 20ish. Felt better with every step.

Now I've been low carbing for a looooong time now, starting maybe 30 years ago, but the high fat part is new for me. This year new. And by golly does it work for MY body. My weight has been stable, or rising by a few pounds a year for the past few years. Mainly because I've only been reducing the carbs to a level that doesn't cause problems.

Since dropping the carbs further, and raising the fat, I have been losing weight. but not only that - the last three weeks I have eaten more fat than ever before. cream, cheese, oil, skin, on meat, you name it.

And my weight loss has accelerated.

I'm a kinda low carb vet. But this? This is incredible. I can't believe what is happening.

So, the reason for that preamble, was please, don't be afraid of the fat.
(although, only do more fat if you are v low carbing. fat and carbs REALLY don't make a good combo. that's when the weight gain and the triclycerides, and the cholesterol go wangy)

All my opinion and experience, but not for everyone, I do realise. :)

alliebee

Wish I could like that post x10 Brunnaria. I've tried so many diets. Lose gain lose. But this is the only way of eating that I have consistantly lost weight as well as bringing my bs down. It only started happening when I raised my fats. It took me awhile before I properly embraced it. You may remember me moaning at the start. I'm not losing??? Then: upped the fats. Coconut oil and olive oil esp. Its falling off now and I'm so so grateful.