Insulin

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've notice that most diabetics do more than two injections a day, so you would do all the carb counting but I don't think I've seen or heard of anyone who's on Humalin M3 which I take twice a day, a doctor in A&E did say it was kinda " old school" but it can't be that old and unknown of

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
a lot of people are actually on a twice a day mix............

my brother is on Novomix 30.........

it is old school in that the more widely used and effective regime consists of multiple daily injections using a quick acting insulin alongside a slower acting background insulin.....

its worth inquiring........:)

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ok, mine is more a case of the insulin lasting until the next injection but I have tried a different regime but I was only on it for about 2 weeks because my sugars were constantly in the 20's.
My injections are causing ha lot of bruising and lumps so I've got my nurse helping me to look at pumps

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
pumps are good.......

I was on M3 many years ago............its basically a mix of quick and slow acting, which means you cant really decide to eat more or less each day, exercise etc without the risk of hypo/hyper and illness can be tricky to accommodate......

where do you inject...........? 2 injections a day in theory shouldn't be causing too many problems.......

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I eat what I want and when I want and tbh it doesn't seem to have a major impact which shocks me and my doctors but they don't mind as long as it works for me which it does but it's just the injections, I inject in my legs, arms, stomach and bum, it just leaves giant bruise and these itchy lumps :/ i injected myself this morning and the lump it has left is very noticeable even wearing jeans

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
whats your latest HbA1c?

what was your last blood glucose reading?

you may be using a needle that is to big..........what size are they?

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I actually don't know my doctor didn't tell me, they don't tell unless it's bad which it never us, but i only recently joined a new clinic & I don't test very often, I'm using the same sized needles that I've always used, there 0,25x5mm

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5 mm is quite small, so I wouldn't imagine they are going into deep.........

do you rotate your sites sufficiently......?

it would be wise to actually find out your specific HbA1c number as you can then get a better picture as to whats really happening..........simply feeling OK inst enough to be honest, as damage could be happening but going unnoticed, and its all about minimizing that damage as the years go by....

my brother is like you in that hes on a mixed insulin and rarely tests, his HbA1c is about 8.5%, which isn't that much worse than my last and I am on a pump..........but 8% isn't that good, its not terribly bad, but likely will cause issues after many years.....

you may be around this mark.........

when do you normally eat and what?

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh I change it regularly and check for previous lumps and bruises but it just isn't seeming to make a difference but I can't even ask my doctor because my next appointment isn't until February which is a while away tbh & Yeh I think when I get a chance to see my doctor it'll be a case of sitting down and looking at all the factors together and having a talk about it.
I don't eat regularly, I have a very small appetite most the time, sometimes I'll eat once a day but on a good day 3/4 times, but that's a rare thing

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that may be down to higher blood sugar levels............

it would be good if you could dig out a glucose monitor if you have any, and get some strips ordered up, so you can find out what your readings are before meals for example.........

any hypos........?

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood meter is always around me I just choose not to which I know is bad of me and my mom is religious about ordering new strips!
I have the occasional hypo but not loads that would make me worry, probably 3 a week but there never bad ones, I usually catch it before it goes too low, my sugars have been a bit higher recently because I was in hospital because I forgot to take my injection but they came down, if anything my sugars are unstable, one minute they'll be high then next they'll be normal

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well, that will happen whenever you eat anything if you think about it........

just try and get a reading before your breakfast and before you dinner at first..........

also trying to eat just your main meals as opposed to snacks would be better on a twice a day insulin...........

it is possible to adjust a twice a day insulin, I remember doing it..........its just not flexible enough for 99% of people unfortunately.........

I would recommend getting on an MDI regime, it means if your not really hungry you don't need to eat and therefore don't need to inject.....

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yehh I do the odd blood sugar but not like I should which I'm going to hopefully do but I know for most people 2 injections a day just doesn't work but even when I don't eat or over eat it works for me it is purely the effect of the needles which is worrying me I find it strange

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
how do you know it works if you are not testing........?

the needles will bruise occasionally, for me it was regularly.......:)......

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It works because my doctors don't have any complaints, every test comes back clear bearing in mind I have blood tests at every appointment! I've not been in hospital because of my control so it must be doing some good
This never used to happen, it's only recently that the bruises and lumps are getting bigger and staying longer

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
worth speaking to your nurse, showing him/her even............

the doctors having no complaints might be sufficient at this time in your life, but as the years go on, you will want to know more, specifically your HbA1c.......I can assure you.........:)......

all my tests come back clear, if by clear you mean no issues with liver/kidneys etc.............but I am still suffering from a complication......

how long have you been diabetic......?

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They come back clear in all aspects which is better than finding some type of issue & I've been diabetic for 8years

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sorry if I am lecturing, I don't mean to............

its just good to throw yourself right into as early as possible........

cath_heidi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's ok, I appreciate the advice and knowledge of others especially because everyone has there own experiences and they see things from different points of view :)
Yeh, definitely!