Introduction

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody never expected to be here, came as a shock about a a week ago. Not the fitest but did exercise, badmointon 2 hours every week with some walking thrown in, my diet was great lots of fish little bread or potatoes, lots of veg so dont have to change much there. but 2 stone overwieght told to lose managed a stone while I was pre diabetes.
Started on the Metamorphin and statins all ok so far but the future is worrying. Like a drink but Ive got to slow down there.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
welcome @daddys1 sorry you have joined our little club. Is there anything we can help you with?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there thanks for coming back, I think I'm right in saying I'm borderline @ 4.1 I was given a lot of information on the day, the Doc also mentioned a 9.3 which I think was the old scale Fasting test not sure. I was already on a year diagnosed as pre Type 2 to lose weight (6ft at 16stone not hat bad) I'm now 15stone. But I had a numb toe which prompted an early return to the docs, where although they are not sure if I have just damaged the toe, Type 2 was suspected so had a further blood test. I really do not know wether I should be testing sugar levels daily.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome @daddys1 sorry you have joined our little club. Is there anything we can help you with?
Hi Thanks for coming back, appears to me you have done very well in a short time, suppose I should list my details the way you have them listed, it appears it's a number game

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there thanks for coming back, I think I'm right in saying I'm borderline @ 4.1 I was given a lot of information on the day, the Doc also mentioned a 9.3 which I think was the old scale Fasting test not sure. I was already on a year diagnosed as pre Type 2 to lose weight (6ft at 16stone not hat bad) I'm now 15stone. But I had a numb toe which prompted an early return to the docs, where although they are not sure if I have just damaged the toe, Type 2 was suspected so had a further blood test. I really do not know wether I should be testing sugar levels daily. Never been on a forum before so I think I'm pressing a few wrong buttons and reply in the wrong boxes, I'll get the hang of it.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
was it 41 not 4.1 and was it an HbA1c? 41 is just within normal range and not diabetic which would be a level of 48

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
was it 41 not 4.1 and was it an HbA1c? 41 is just within normal range and not diabetic which would be a level of 48
Hi Andrew, I am a little confused with it all, but I can confirm that when I had the test I rang in for the results, The conversation was (from the nurse) you are 4.1 but were not sure as the scale has change, I will ask the doctor, she came back to say she had spoken to the doctor and said that I was just borderline & told carry on doing what you have been doing losing weight. I week later got a letter from the docs to say please come in. When I saw him he stated the same. Said 4 (on the WHO scale) was pre and 4.1 was diabetic & I was 4.1, I actually asked him whether I could avoid the pills but he insisted I should be treated, he did mention a 9.3. I have today received my invitation to 'Desmond' cheers Neil

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

I believe your first job tomorrow is to ring the surgery and ask which blood test you had and what each result was. Ask if one was an HbA1c and what it was. The 4.1 doesn't make any sense at all. Also ask for the computer print outs. You are entitled to these and will find them very useful for comparison in the future. You really need to know where you are starting from if you are to get on top of this. WHO is the World Health Organisation.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome!

I believe your first job tomorrow is to ring the surgery and ask which blood test you had and what each result was. Ask if one was an HbA1c and what it was. The 4.1 doesn't make any sense at all. Also ask for the computer print outs. You are entitled to these and will find them very useful for comparison in the future. You really need to know where you are starting from if you are to get on top of this. WHO is the World Health Organisation.
Yes, I think your right I will go and get the info tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did what you said (thanks for telling me) went and got the stats printed from the Doc's and have a clearer picture now..................
Beginning of Oct, I had a Blood Test, they classed as a 'Fasting' on the results, but was not I had had breakfast that day, and it came in at a BG of 9.3
2 weeks later had a proper Fasting Test came in at a BG of 8.2
My HbAc1 came in at 46, 'point 1' over the limit for recommendation for diagnosis for diabetes
Cholesterol came in at 5.3
Thanks to everyone

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daddys,

The HbA1c test is the important one as it is a measure of your BS over the previous 2 to 3 months. An HbA1c of 46 is not yet diabetic but getting there.

Under 42 is non-diabetic
48 plus is diabetic
In between is known as pre-diabetic.

However, as your proper fasting test was 8.2 this indicates you probably are now diabetic, but possibly not for the whole of the previous 2 to 3 months. So it would seem you have been caught very early. I'm not a doctor. This is merely my opinion.

Your total cholesterol isn't bad at all. What were the component parts? (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides). These are the important figures.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Daddys,

The HbA1c test is the important one as it is a measure of your BS over the previous 2 to 3 months. An HbA1c of 46 is not yet diabetic but getting there.

Under 42 is non-diabetic
48 plus is diabetic
In between is known as pre-diabetic.

However, as your proper fasting test was 8.2 this indicates you probably are now diabetic, but possibly not for the whole of the previous 2 to 3 months. So it would seem you have been caught very early. I'm not a doctor. This is merely my opinion.

Your total cholesterol isn't bad at all. What were the component parts? (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides). These are the important figures.

Thank you very much for your clear description above.
I had 5 printouts yesterday which included Kidney & Liver Function, I have not found in these print outs anything that refers to HDL/LDL/T...... but I will have another look. My cholesterol was not on the print outs either I just remember the Doc saying that is what it was (5.3). Just to come back to the HbAc1 of 46, it does clearly states on my printout that the max now is 45 before diagnosis and this was the discussion i had with the doctor that I was so marginal at 46. I will. Later on I will quote what it actually says.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much for your clear description above.
I had 5 printouts yesterday which included Kidney & Liver Function, I have not found in these print outs anything that refers to HDL/LDL/T...... but I will have another look. My cholesterol was not on the print outs either I just remember the Doc saying that is what it was (5.3). Just to come back to the HbAc1 of 46, it does clearly states on my printout that the max now is 45 before diagnosis and this was the discussion i had with the doctor that I was so marginal at 46. I will. Later on I will quote what it actually says.

That is very interesting about the HbA1c. This is the first I've heard of that, and will be interested to see what the print out says.

As for your cholesterol, it may have been on another sheet that you weren't given. I think you need to ask your surgery for the lipids breakdown. The total cholesterol figure is fairly meaningless without the rest of the info. You have been put on statins, so you really need to know these figures.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Either way your cholesterol of 5.3 is fine in my opinion, but the total doesn't mean much on its own and it would be a shame if they don't have the breakdown. Something else to ask!

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is very interesting about the HbA1c. This is the first I've heard of that, and will be interested to see what the print out says.

As for your cholesterol, it may have been on another sheet that you weren't given. I think you need to ask your surgery for the lipids breakdown. The total cholesterol figure is fairly meaningless without the rest of the info. You have been put on statins, so you really need to know these figures.

Hi, as you know I'm new to this and did have a long conversation with the doctor and nurse before all stating that there was a change in the way the HbAc1 was been measured, from what I can see and hear from you, it appears that the that the figure you mentioned earlier of 48 mmol/L is the criteria (i think). I had an intensive conversation with the doc and he definitely stated I was just over at 46 mmol/L. Anyway I have attached the report which by the side of the results Indicated 'HI' and a range of (30-45).

I have also found an update for GP re Diabetes not sure whether new or not spring 2013 I found interesting.

http://www.gp-update.co.uk/files/docs/GP_Update-Spring_2013_diabetes.pdf

upload_2014-10-22_15-45-27.png