Can't figure it out

waltop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,
I just can't figure out what to do. I worked all week on low to no carbs and healthy meals with super healthy diabetic snacks. My sugar was way over 300 all week ( I had a low of 308) yesterday being game day, I had pizza for lunch and then a small baked potato and cheesecake (among other healthy foods), this morning my sugar was 289, after a scrambled egg breakfast with milk and hot tea, 3 hours later I am back up to 345. Any advise will be appreciated.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
What units are we dealing with here?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What units are we dealing with here?
It can't be mmol or else the OP would not be alive so that leaves mg/dl.

Still very high numbers - in high teens in terms of mmol ( you divide mg/dl count by 18 to get mmol equivalent)

Pavlos

waltop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry but I am new to the diabetic talk and I'm not sure what the mmol and the OP are. If I understand you correctly I would take my 345 and divide it by 18 to get my T1 number which would be 19, can that be right?

It can't be mmol or else the OP would not be alive so that leaves mg/dl.

Still very high numbers - in high teens in terms of mmol ( you divide mg/dl count by 18 to get mmol equivalent)

Pavlos

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pizza and potato are very high in carbohydrates.
Also bad are bread, rice, pasta.

Try looking at some diet threads for food you will like and will keep down your readings. Good luck.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm sorry but I am new to the diabetic talk and I'm not sure what the mmol and the OP are. If I understand you correctly I would take my 345 and divide it by 18 to get my T1 number which would be 19, can that be right?

It's OK, no need to apologise, different units in different countries is confusing. But yes your equivalent blood sugar for 345 mg/dl - not specifically T1 - is 19 mmol/l. I don't know the details of your T1 control regime, but this is high, and you should look at the carbs in your diet.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,
I just can't figure out what to do. I worked all week on low to no carbs and healthy meals with super healthy diabetic snacks. My sugar was way over 300 all week ( I had a low of 308) yesterday being game day, I had pizza for lunch and then a small baked potato and cheesecake (among other healthy foods), this morning my sugar was 289, after a scrambled egg breakfast with milk and hot tea, 3 hours later I am back up to 345. Any advise will be appreciated.[/QUOTE

we learned at a T2 seminar to stay away from any white refined food ,potatoes , bread , pasta etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had pizza for lunch and then a small baked potato and cheesecake (among other healthy foods),

It's a funny thing but I have read phrases like "healthy eating" and "diabetic food" for the past few years now and I am never sure what an individual perceives as healthy food. What, in the above menu, is healthy for a diabetic? It begs the question as to what the other healthy foods might be.

If I ate like that I wouldn't expect low readings. Sorry OP but I think you might have to change something.

EDIT: OP = Original Poster or person that started the thread (you).

There are two major units of measurement for blood sugars and other things mg/dl and mmol/l and to convert from one to the other you multiply/divide by 18. America uses mg/dl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I must admit that whenever I read 'healthy eating' , 'diabetic food' and 'balanced diet' I kind of expect high carb, and accompanying high blood glucose.

@rick bue PLEASE do not take that as criticism. We should all get credit for making food choices that we think will benefit our health. And we have all been told that certain things are good for us.

If you give us more of an idea of what you've been eating all week, we can maybe help you spot the reason your blood glucose has been high.

waltop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Brunneria has ask that I list the foods I have been eating so here it goes.
Breakfast 2 eggs or oatmeal
lunch salad with carrots, celery, cauliflower, cabbage,1/2 oz ham or chicken, rice noodles for crunch.
snack apple, orange or nuts
dinners bean soup, chicken gumbo, oven baked chicken, salad (same as above)
When I eat like this my sugar is well over 300, and I ate like this monday - saturday
Sunday is when I went off grid and carb loaded with pizza, baked potato and cheese cake, salad, green beans.
Monday morning my sugar was lower than it has been at 289.
I don't understand how this works.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to everyone who has responded. Brunneria has ask that I list the foods I have been eating so here it goes.
Breakfast 2 eggs or oatmeal
lunch salad with carrots, celery, cauliflower, cabbage,1/2 oz ham or chicken, rice noodles for crunch.
dinners bean soup, chicken gumbo, oven baked chicken, salad (same as above)
When I eat like this my sugar is well over 300, and I ate like this monday - saturday
Sunday is when I went off grid and carb loaded with pizza, baked potato and cheese cake, salad, green beans.
Monday morning my sugar was lower than it has been at 289.
I don't understand how this works.

Thanks for the menu.

I low carb, and have done a fair bit of testing to map out what foods affect me, and how.
But, of course, I can only speak for myself.
In your menu, I would definitely have problems with the oatmeal, the noodles, the apple, orange, and the bean soup.

Portion sizes are key.

But the best way to see if you are getting high blood glucose with a certain food is to test before it, then 2hours after. If your blood glucose has risen by more than about 40 (of your units, which is approx 2.0 mmol/l in our units), then the food you've just eaten has more carb in it than you can currently tolerate.

Apologies if you already knew all that!

Suggestions you could try:
Ditch the oatmeal and have eggs or bacon and eggs, ham, ham and cheese (yum!), berries and full fat Greek yogurt, or berries and cream, for breakfast.

Swap your apples and oranges for berries, cheese, nuts, low carb protein shakes, jerky, biltong, coffee with cream.

Are you American? If so, please don't go down the half n half route. That stuff is vile, and not what will benefit you. You want proper, dairy heavy cream. And enjoy. :happy:

Some people are ok with beans. Sadly, I'm not. You can confirm your tolerance with testing. But if it is a bought soup it may have hidden carbs, sugar, flour, maize starch, tapioca, potato, etc.

If you want some inspiration for low carb menus, have a look at this thread. It is full of great menus, ideas and moral support. It'd be great to see you posting there!

Hope all of that helps.

The truth is that most of us just cut our carbs down until we reach a level where we keep blood glucose under control. Why would we go super low carb if we don't need it? But if you spend some time testing before and after food, note it down, with a record of what the food was, then you will very quickly discover the problems. (Mine are grains, ALL grains, but wheat is by far the worst)

But for you, you might find it interesting to cut all the foods I've talked about above. Just for a few days. If, after that time, your blood glucose hasn't started dropping, then I'd make another appointment with the doctor. Running at 300ish (19mmol/l) is far too high.

Good luck, and please keep posting!

Reactions: 3 people

waltop

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Brunneria,
Your post was very helpful, I had no idea how to check how a food affects my sugar. I am going to head to the thread you sent me and I have been trying different receipts for people with T2. Yes I am American and I know what you mean about the half and half.
Have a wonderful day/

Thanks for the menu.

I low carb, and have done a fair bit of testing to map out what foods affect me, and how.
In your menu, I would definitely have problems with the oatmeal, the noodles, the apple, orange, and the bean soup.

Portion sizes are key.

But the best way to see if you are getting high blood glucose with a certain food is to test before it, then 2hours after. If your blood glucose has risen by more than about 40 (of your units, which is approx 2.0 mmol/l in our units), then the food you've just eaten has more carb in it than you can currently tolerate.

Ditch the oatmeal and have eggs or bacon and eggs, ham, ham and cheese (yum!), berries and full fat Greek yogurt, or berries and cream, for breakfast.

Swap your apples and oranges for berries, cheese, nuts, low carb protein shakes, jerky, biltong, coffee with cream.

Are you American? If so, please don't go down the half n half route. That stuff is vile, and not what will benefit you. You want proper, dairy heavy cream. And enjoy. :happy:

Some people are ok with beans. Sadly, I'm not. You can confirm your tolerance with testing. But if it is a bought soup it may have hidden carbs, sugar, flour, maize starch, tapioca, potato, etc.

If you want some inspiration for low carb menus, have a look at this thread. It is full of great menus, ideas and moral support. It'd be great to see you posting there!

Hope all of that helps.

The truth is that most of us just cut our carbs down until we reach a level where we keep blood glucose under control. Why would we go super low carb if we don't need it? But if you spend some time testing before and after food, note it down, with a record of what the food was, then you will very quickly discover the problems. (Mine are grains, ALL grains, but wheat is by far the worst)

But for you, you might find it interesting to cut all the foods I've talked about above. Just for a few days. If, after that time, your blood glucose hasn't started dropping, then I'd make another appointment with the doctor. Running at 300ish (19mmol/l) is far too high.

Thanks for the menu.

Portion sizes are key.

Hope all of that helps.

Reactions: 2 people