Hypo symptoms at 4.4mmol/l: normal?

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Earlier this evening I was experienced all the major symptoms of a hypo: suddenly cold, sweating, blurred vision, shaky. (I had several insulin-induced hypos with gestational diabetes so I do know what they feel like.)

However, after a bit of a struggle to get up the stairs I tested and found I was at 4.4mmol/l, so theoretically above a technical hypo but quite low for me; random sampling suggests a baseline of about 5.5.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may have happened? It's not happened before. Is it some kind of ominous sign or completely benign? I am fairly certain that I am now into impaired fasting glycaemia territory and will be getting my doctor's confirmation of that in due course. All postprandial bloods are the baseline 5.5mmol/l or thereabouts at the two-hour mark.

Cheers

Jo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Wonder if you had been much lower beforehand and you liver compensated for your low bg levels.

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's an interesting thought but the question still remains as to why they may have dropped that low in the first place. Is my blood sugar control worsening?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Along with everyone else on the forum we are not able to give medical advice, if you have concerns then you should discuss them with your gp.

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wondered whether anybody had ever had a similar experience, is all.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My hypo symptoms can start anywhere from 3.3 to 4.8 mmol. Today it was 4.6 mmol but note the meter can be +/- 15% out. There is no hard and fast rule so the game is to be able to spot one coming on

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can tell when my bs drops below 5. I start having symptoms around 4.5. The my Dsn said it's not technically a hypo. Even though I get the shakes, sweat and everything to go with it.