Could this be true?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may depend if she had periods of binging. I have eating issues myself and I'm told the binging and starving may have contributed to my borderline T2 now. That's because when you're starving, your pancreas gets lazy, so when you binge, your BG goes very high. Doing that constantly for 10-15 years can really mess up your body. That's the theory, but whether it can be proven is another matter!

Interesting hypothesis Loobles; especially when we consider the anorexic body serially closes down un-used or under-used functions in its' quest to survive. I can buy that.

Reactions: 3 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am one who "lets my food be my medicine!"

I'm all for a medicinal brandy.
LN_887628_BP_a_23.jpg

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks guys, I think we will give her the benefit of the doubt on this one. Just got to Sus out the "I've been diagnosed with bipolar but I don't take medication as I can manage by myself" story....

My old mum used to have any disease that was written about in magazines or that was on daytime TV. She was so good at diagnosing them, she told me she didn't need to go to the doctor. I was told that 1st and 2nd year medical students also tend to think they have a variety of strange and weird illnesses that they came across during their studies. In fact, Radio 4 recently broadcast a play about one such person.

Some people use disorders as excuses for their behaviour, so for example, can't be bothered to get out of bed and get out of the house becomes I have chronic fatigue syndrome and agoraphobia.

Somatization and fashionable diagnoses: illness as a way of life.

A lot of these people also appear to use alcohol as a very effective drug!

"Hysteria remains alive and well"

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Interesting hypothesis Loobles; especially when we consider the anorexic body serially closes down un-used or under-used functions in its' quest to survive. I can buy that.

Binge eating disorder and Bulimia are associated with the development of T2 (and eating disorders are also associated with people who have bothT1 and T2 diabetes; the focus on diet being one of the factors )

This paper suggests why people with Bulimia ( bingeing/purging) have a higher risk of later developing T2 . https://escholarship.org/uc/item/6vt2k42t( ie hyperinsulinemea / high levels of insulin that are released during the bingeing periods)
However, it also mentions that one trial showed that three years after therapy, those that had managed to overcome their disorder had a lower glucose level than those who still had an active eating disorder .

For Anorexia where there is a definite calorie deficit, there isn't really that much evidence about a link with later T2.
Most studies say that people with active anorexia are insulin sensitive (a few papers the opposite though).
Diabetes is not usually given as one of the long term effects .

However, even a small increase in fat when in recovery ,tends to be on the trunk. This has been shown to be accompanied by an increase in insulin resistance . (this very obvious increase in fat around the middle can sadly trigger a return to anorexia )
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2265.2011.04046.x/full
To me that makes sense because if the fat cells in the lower body which is the normal safe haven for fat have shrunk then it's likely that fat is going to be deposited where it shouldn't be.
There is some evidence that fat distribution seems to normalise after complete, long term weight restoration (but the authors point out that evidence is very scarce)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4179194/

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed and given tablets. Took control of my life taken off the tablets after a few weeks and now just lifestyle controlled. All diabetics will have a yearly review (longest period) where they have annual check ups and their bloods are tested by the laboratory. Your brother's girlfriend may be relying on this from her doctor and following their advice to not test.

You could read the information on this site to understand the condition, show an interest and ask her what her last HbA1c was. With some knowledge behind you you can provide support. One good thread to read would be the thread "what stupid things have people said to you" that way you can at least avoid them and find out why they are stupid and understand use that as an aid to understand. I understand you do not think she is genuine so then if you understand the condition and ask questions this will then help to clear up your acceptance of truth or lies

Just think about the trust she is placing in you if she has food issues and the big D (my term by the way).

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
For Anorexia where there is a definite calorie deficit, there isn't really that much evidence about a link with later T2.
It is possible for long-standing anorexia to cause malnutrition-related diabetes http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/m/mrdm/intro.htm. My great-uncle had malnutrition-related diabetes, which he developed in a concentration camp. Unlike many starvation survivors he remained as thin as a rake for the rest of his life, so I think the diabetes was purely due to that period of malnutrition, not to a later accumulation of fat. I would think that starvation arising from within oneself rather than imposed by others could have the same effect. However, this is a rare condition.

Kate

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, obviously it's possible . Anorexia can certainly cause thryoid problems which will cause problems with energy metabolism . It's evidence that I was looking for and that was distinctly lacking.
I do know of one case when diabetes 'returned' after the war. My father used to speak (so anecdotal) of two brothers who were fortunate to survive a concentration camp. They both had T2 diabetes treated with insulin before the camp which 'went away' whilst there but returned when they put on weight after the war.

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Hi guys,

My brothers girlfriend has strung us some pretty interesting stories lately and they just don't add up. One of them is she was anorexic early in life and this has now led for her to be diabetic, but she doesn't take any medication - she is diet controlled.
My mum is type 2 and has to take a lot of medication and we would expect her to take medication or atleast have to test her blood sugars?

Is this possible?

I would leave well alone and keep out of discussions about her possible illnesses.
All you need to do is to accept that your brother has chosen this lady and it is really up to him how the relationship progresses.
She may be one of those people who invents illnesses to gain attention or she may genuinely have Type 2. Not all TYpe2s take medication
With regard to the bipolar disorder, her behaviour would be erratic as she would have mood swings and periods of depression. As you do not have any interaction with her, then you would not be able to gauge what is going on. There are plenty of people with bipolar who will not accept a diagnosis and have to be sectioned when they become a danger to others or themselves.

We often do not like prospective partners that other family members pick but getting involved will have two possible outcomes. Your brother may dig his heels in and carry on , possibly resulting in a split from you, or accept that what you are saying is right. It could go either way.

Just be there for him if it all goes wrong would be my advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people