Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you feeling?

If you're eating virtually no carbs, then all I can suggest is stress, insomnia, background infection, or a sudden drop in your body's capacity to handle BG.

But my medical knowledge is nowhere near enough to offer anything more than the vaguest suggestions.

I'm sorry. Your BG levels are probably quite stressful enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok its not the pop either. Ive not eaten or had anything to drink for 16 hrs and my BS reading is 11.9. GOt to the doctors today, waste of time, got to have blood taken and tested, then go back when they get results, I cant get my bloods taken for 2 weeks as my docs is snowed under with patients and no doctors, then have to wait a week for results, then probably another 2 weeks to get a doc appt. In the meantime Im living with double digit BS reading for over a month.

Where do you live Gaz? Are you "near" to a larger hospital?

I'll spare you the boring details, but when I was diagnosed, I was told additional tests were not available for almost a month, which absolutely didn't work for me. Cutting a long story short, I was able to find out my nearest bigger hospital has a walk in blood clinic, 5 days a week. There they take all the bloods for the Outpatient clinics at the hospital, and they accept GP forms too. It's a not very well kept secret, but it means, provided I am willing to drive the 30 mile round trip, I can have my bloods done, on a day that suits me, and they start at 08:00, which helps for fasting tests.

For me, it's a winner.

Reactions: 4 people

gaz1971

I have to get the bus to my local hospital to use their blood clinic as its miles away. Im booked in on Weds morning at my GP for bloods to be taken.

gaz1971

No Im not. I take Metformin, Lisinopril for blood pressure, been taking it for a while now, and simvastatin. I also take Fluoxetine when required.

I feel rough.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We had 3 doctor surgeries in our town, my GP decided to retire, so they closed his practice and 3000 patients had to move to the other 2. 'We can cope' they said, now you cant get an appointment for love nor money, unless they have a cancellation when you happen to call.

I havent eaten anything for over 24hrs now and my bs levels are 11.9. I have said before, Im a dog walker and have already walked around 5 miles today and its had no effect.

Sorry to hear that your gp retired and that you had to find another Practice to go to.

First off, if you have a blood test form given to you then you should not be reliant upon just your gp practice to take your bloods... There should be other places that can do this, depending where you live of course. In my practice we get a list of at least 3 other places that we can have our bloods taken without appointments.

Your practice should be able to give you details by phoning them of the other places available to get your bloods taken.

The results will go back to your Practice in the same way and you are entitled to go in there and ask the receptionist for a print out.

Also, ask if your practice do online bookings, if you aren't currently registered, and if they do it, then you must go into see the receptionist and they should give you a piece of paper to take away with you to set up at home. This does not stop you telephoning or booking appts in person. What it does do is give you really, really good access to book apointments. Less than 11% of patients are registered to get online appts across the country and the GP's are targetted to get at least 20% of their patients online by April 2015. Everybody that signs up at our Practice is staggered at the availabilty of appts compared to telephoning etc. you cannot get apprs currently with nurses via internet bookings.

Finally find out if your Practice has a PPG (patients participation group) - this should be on the Practice website and do a nicely termed moan to the Chairperson requesting that they ensure as in their terms of reference that your personal details are not actually given. State nicely that you are being given inaccurate advice on acceptable levels of blood glucose levels (you would have to quote NICE guidelines and what you have been told), tell them nicely of your exasperation at trying to get appointments and exact details. Tell them of the new CQC inspections taking place that are measuring GP's on whether Practices are a) are they safe b) are they effective c) are they caring d) are they responsive and e) are they well led - and that from your current experiences from being a new Patient that they are failing on all aspects.

You should be able to look at your GP practice website to see if they have a PPG.

PM me if you need any further advice.

Reactions: 6 people

gaz1971

Ok, had blood taken yesterday, just had call from docs to make appointment for my review and that my hb1ac is down, which I thought was good, but doesnt tie in with my home testing being high.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Home testing is only snapshots during the day of your bloods, so they may be lowering etc during the rest of the daytime etc. my meter alwys says at least 1.5 higher than my hba1c for my 90 day readings and I do somewhere between 7-15 tests a day...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How long has your home testing been high? Remember the HbA1c is a sort of average over the previous 2 to 3 months. Also, your home tests are only at certain times of the day, not constant over 24 hours.

Unlike @donnellysdogs my home testing averages were quite a bit lower than my last HbA1c and I was left a tad disappointed. I don't think they can be compared.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Best thing to fldo is to get a fasting glucose test done and whilst they take the blood out of your arm, do a test.. You can then compare the blood test to what your meter said. Mine on my pump meter was 1.1 higher on my meter compared to the blood result when it came back, a couple months ago.

gaz1971

Ive always struggled with my weight, I had got it down and my hb1ac along with it, then went on medication for depression, lost all will power and have put weight back on so expected hb1ac to have shot up

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, Im having some major issues with my BS levels, they are currently at 13.8 and havent moved, despite taking metformin a couple of hours ago. I havent eaten anything for several hours and Im at a loss as to what to do. Any help welcomed.

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, Im having some major issues with my BS levels, they are currently at 13.8 and havent moved, despite taking metformin a couple of hours ago. I havent eaten anything for several hours and Im at a loss as to what to do. Any help welcomed.

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What I do to bring numbers down, is go for a brisk walk or bike ride.. it seems to work. Good luck!