Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning but 8.3 by the time I was ready for breakfast :(

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou. It will be nice to have to look forward to once mine stay down...will soon have to learn to maintain weight whilst keeping my bgs down

Allie - With only a few pounds to go to target, I would urge you to start to try stabilising your weight very soon. Once you've got the hang of it, it doesn't actually stop that easily. I have ended up lighter than both my target and ideal. @Bluetit1802 may have something to add.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And then 90 minutes later, still before showering and breakfast, just two cups of tea, it's 5.7. Another day in the weird world we inhabit. Probably due to calming down a bit after my mind churning in bed before getting up and settling down to the slightly more positive reality. (That's enough crackpot psychology now, Ed.).

Similarly weird here. 6.7, 6.0, 6.2 on initial test when I woke up far too late in a fug. Got back into bed with cuppa and tested even before drop had jim lips and 5.2/5.7! Can only assume I had caught it at peak of dump? Went to bed on 5.1.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Allie - With only a few pounds to go to target, I would urge you to start to try stabilising your weight very soon. Once you've got the hang of it, it doesn't actually stop that easily. I have ended up lighter than both my target and ideal. @Bluetit1802 may have something to add.

I couldn't agree more. I set my target weight at 9st. 7lbs with a BMI of 23. I am now 9st. 2lbs (BMI 21.9 which is OK) and stable since beginning of October but it has taken me since the end of August to stop losing, so a whole month and a bit to find the right balance. It was so much harder trying to maintain this than losing it all was, really difficult and such a fine balance that required a lot of planning.

Reactions: 8 people

alliebee

You have warned me about this. But at the time I was so glad just to be losing I didnt take it on board. Now I'm only 5 lbs away and dropping like a stone I've got to start thinking...more research...oh lord!! :)

Reactions: 7 people

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning. So pleased, still having some of the nerve issues but I can only assume the longer my sugars stay low, the less this will be a problem.

By staying on the Bydureon Injections, these stop the liver dumping so I don't get a spike in the mornings which is great now. I didn't think the Bydureon was working, until I started on Insulin and I can see that they actually work quite well hand in hand.

Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have warned me about this. But at the time I was so glad just to be losing I didnt take it on board. Now I'm only 5 lbs away and dropping like a stone I've got to start thinking...more research...oh lord!! :)

Whilst it is important to research, I would urge you not to over-complicate things by making too many changes. I started by simply just having slightly larger portions of everything I was eating, figuring if I upped the calories........ My loss moderated, but didn't stop.

I then decided to add something, but wanted it to be something I didn't think I would be too bothered if I either had to back out, or trim portion size. Roasted peanuts it was! Not wanting the hassle of constant measuring, I settled on a heaped egg-cup full, with my lunch, or as a nibble whilst dinner is in the creation. (Such a serving is about 30g.) Same result. Nearly, but not quite. I couldn't increase the peanut dose as I'm tolerating them better I thought I might. (Eaten beyond modest portions, I get,................ well. You know.)

And finally, I added cheese. Initially, I did this in the form of a Babybel (again) because of the ease of measuring the portion size, and the ability to replicate for scientific purposes. That drove me to drink! More seriously, I also added a little more red wine, from time to time, although I've actually drunk very, very little since I've been back in UK. Of course, that will change when Mr B is back here next week. :D:D:D:D

So, that's how I approached my own situation. As things were slowing up, I had a few false dawns where I thought I had reached the Holy Grail, only to lose again, so it does take some patience.

I'm hoping that will help you grasp why I suggest not waiting until you're actually where you want to be, after all, it's not going to be possible just to add back in all the things you have shelved.

Where will your 5lbs take you in terms of BMI? I realise that's not the most fabulous measure of health, but it's probably a consistent measure we can all use.

Good luck gurl.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I couldn't agree more. I set my target weight at 9st. 7lbs with a BMI of 23. I am now 9st. 2lbs (BMI 21.9 which is OK) and stable since beginning of October but it has taken me since the end of August to stop losing, so a whole month and a bit to find the right balance. It was so much harder trying to maintain this than losing it all was, really difficult and such a fine balance that required a lot of planning.

I'm fluctuating around 71-72 kg at the moment which is fine (BMI in the 24s). Whether this is due to less exercise over the last couple of weeks or eating a bit more (including nuts between meals), or both I don't know. I'm not measuring anything, just weighing myself once a week and making almost subconscious adjustments over the following week.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of smiling I can have a few more treats. Of the good kind :). Thankyou. I love red wine

Funny @AndBreathe added back some red wine and cheese. I did the same, but no nuts as they disagree with me. I had never eaten cheese before, but I do now. I had limited my red wine to a couple of glasses at weekend, but now I have a small glass most evenings (still under the weekly units guideline)

Reactions: 3 people

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my blood this morning was 11.4 but that was because i hypoed in the night

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Kind of smiling I can have a few more treats. Of the good kind :). Thankyou. I love red wine
Avocado vinaigrette as a starter several times a week is good too ;)

Reactions: 4 people

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't get mine lower than 8.8 I am on Metformin 3 times a day was diagnosed 22/9/14 when my reading was 14.9 is this normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.