Injections

dhne14426

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone get sick of injecting every day ;) I hope they come up with something soon so we dont have to inject

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me!

A cure would be nice! Lol.

I injected in the canteen at work today as we had a lunch meeting. I'm so casual about it now I sometimes forget it might not always be appropriate. Oops. Tehehe

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 2 people

moz1

Used to get fed up but not really bothered now after 29 years! I am waiting for a pump though which seems to be taking an eternity despite being approved in Feb!

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doing the injections really p*** me off, when I need to do it in public I feel asif everyone is looking and judging me and I think to myself what if they think I'm doing drugs, haha, been diabetic 4 years now and still my diabetic nurse refuses to give me the pump on the basis I don't test enough..

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I have been injecting for over 50 years and yes,I do get feed up injecting myself but suddenly I remember it keeps me alive and the feeling goes away.i inject in public and I am sorry,but I have no choice I need my insulin and it keeps me alive.i have only twice had to explain myself,which I did quite firmly,after all I am 6ft 4ins and nearly 12 stone!

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
To be honest I only get fed up when I can't remember if i took my basal or not which seems to happen every now and again.. o_O

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't imagine being without injections. I feel very fortunate to be able to use them, and not have to pay for them. I actually get quite excited when the time comes to get a new insulin pen :p

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone cracked a joke about me being a junkie so I said "is it not appropriate to take heroin in the work canteen?" Lol. I don't think ppl judge, and if they do, make a joke of it or don't pay any attention :)

Reactions: 8 people

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not really bothered by the injections any more because it is just a part of my life after 31 years. I am going to go on a pump in the New Year so that will be difficult as I will probably feel strange not injecting.
The thing that gets me down though is trying to get my levels right. I would do twice as many injections a day if I was guaranteed to get better results.

Reactions: 7 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone cracked a joke about me being a junkie so I said "is it not appropriate to take heroin in the work canteen?" Lol. I don't think ppl judge, and if they do, make a joke of it or don't pay any attention :)

You are very brave doing them in the work canteen @Emmotha I've not been that brave yet.

It took me quite a while to start doing them at my desk rather than in the toilets but the people around me realise what it's all about and don't bother.

As for the OP, injecting doesn't bother me too much as it keeps us alive. Luckily I won't have my daily injections for too much longer. I've been aware of people staring when out in public quite a number of times but never had anyone approach me about it.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My boyfriend always jokes that I'm heroin addict whenever I pick up boxes of needles at the pharmacy :D

Of course, injecting is utterly annoying. And can put you down sometimes... But cracking jokes does help :D

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I'm a bit of a gadget geek - loved it when I was given my first meter and showed it off to everyone. I wasn't so taken with the plastic disposable pens I was given - sort of made injecting boring. Things perked up after I talked my DSN into giving me a lovely red Novopen Echo so I could half dose and again when my consultant switched me to Tresiba and gave me a nice matching blue one - they don't look so medical which makes me less self conscious of injecting in public.
My only gripe with injecting is having to carry the pen(s) around with me but it's that or having to refrain from food or beer should such take my fancy. I wish they made pens that would take 1ml cartridges and were no bigger than normal ballpoint pens - apparently they used to.

D

Deleted member 83869

Doing the injections really p*** me off, when I need to do it in public I feel asif everyone is looking and judging me and I think to myself what if they think I'm doing drugs, haha, been diabetic 4 years now and still my diabetic nurse refuses to give me the pump on the basis I don't test enough..

Then there's your answer...it's easy...test more!! :)

D

Deleted member 83869

I used to get sick of injecting...but never in public...it keeps me alive...and I am not going to risk my health just because someone may not like the look of it or whatever! I don't care what people think or where I am! I'm on a pump and I've changed my set at a bus stop before, I honestly couldn't care less :) No one should be ashamed! As if anyone had a brain they wouldn't think we would be stupid enough to do "drugs" in public

Reactions: 6 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get sick of injecting...but never in public...it keeps me alive...and I am not going to risk my health just because someone may not like the look of it or whatever! I don't care what people think or where I am! I'm on a pump and I've changed my set at a bus stop before, I honestly couldn't care less :) No one should be ashamed! As if anyone had a brain they wouldn't think we would be stupid enough to do "drugs" in public

Great attitude to have. :)