Oh my! Blood glucose at 19.3!

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
Hi all,

I've not been sleeping very well at all of late, last night being another sleepless one, I did eventually go off and I slept until 3pm.

I also have to say that I haven't been feeling well at all now for quite sometime.

I spoke to my GP on the phone and he wants me to go to the surgery to see him, but, as I'm agoraphobic and completely housebound, I just cannot face doing that. :(

Anyway the other day my tongue was really sore, I had a look, and from what I can see, it looks like I have oral thrush, lots of white on the tongue and much soreness.

So, back to today, when I got up, my eyes were very blurry, I waited as I first thought it was down to the fact that I'd not long woken up, alas, they were not clearing with time, so I did my b.g check and to my horror it was 19.3 :eek:

The test I did was before food, only having had 2 cups of tea, no sugar of course.

Last evening, as I was feeling really sick :meh: I ate boiled egg and toast. I have been coming over very nauseous for roughly about a week now.

I am naughty as I'm not a frequent tester, I only really test if I think somethings not right, as usually my blood glucose levels are very stable and at good levels for the most part, this past year, however, I've had a hypo of 2.3 and also 2 hypers at levels nearing the 20's.

My last Hba1c was good and well within the allowed levels and my GP was pleased.

I'm just not understanding what it causing these hikes??

I would be most grateful for any input/advice that you may have. :)

A

AnnieC

Hi Amanda sorry you are not feeling to good you may have a virus and that is what is making your BG high and a sore white tongue certainly points to thrush so you really should see your doctor. Let us know how you are doing

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
don't they have home visits? as you know, you need medical examination/treatment
do you have urine or blood ketostrips, to make sure you haven't got ketones?

Reactions: 3 people

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
Thank you @AnnieC :)

Yes there are a lot of weird and wonderful viruses floating around in our area right now, so it could well be that I've picked up one of them, I will indeed let you know how I get on.

Thank you @jack412 :)

Yes they do do home visits but my surgery seem to be so reluctant in doing them, another doctor from my surgery is ringing me later today, so I shall see how I get on with them.

No jack, I'm afraid I don't have any ketostrips, I'm not even very informed with the keytone thing really, as I've always thought, maybe wrongly, that keytones were more of a thing for diabetes 1 sufferers to be concerned with?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @AnnieC :)

Yes there are a lot of weird and wonderful viruses floating around in our area right now, so it could well be that I've picked up one of them, I will indeed let you know how I get on.

Thank you @jack412 :)

Yes they do do home visits but my surgery seem to be so reluctant in doing them, another doctor from my surgery is ringing me later today, so I shall see how I get on with them.

No jack, I'm afraid I don't have any ketostrips, I'm not even very informed with the keytone thing really, as I've always thought, maybe wrongly, that keytones were more of a thing for diabetes 1 sufferers to be concerned with?
it is more T1 or T1.5, but if you're high for no reason, a check for ketones is cheap insurance, even though it's 99% a virus/infection.. it rules out pancreatitis or something suppressing insulin release. which can cause problems

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would certainly talk to your GP. Running high like that isn't doing you any favours. What are your normal levels?

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Hi Amanda!Sorry to hear about it. I believe you should see the doctor without delay

alliebee

Hi Amanda. Is there anyone who could go with you to Drs? I know its hard for you to go out but these are very high numbers. No wonder you don't feel good. Please let us know how you get on

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would call your doctors again and ask to speak to the diabetic doctor on the phone - that way you can get the advice you need without leaving the house. It many mean you may need to follow it up with a visit later, but at least you will get the information you need now.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

anvi

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Amanda sorry you are not feeling good, you need medical treatment

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I think as I told earlier Amanda should see the Doctors ASAP. Such is the opinion of other forum members ,like the one suggested by Anvi above.
the high numbers I believe could cause damage to organs of a diabetic patient.