My first 11!

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

Just had to share that I've had my first "low" reading!
I registered an 11.8 today - Yay!
OK, so I know that's still high, but considering where I started five weeks ago I'm really pleased!
My readings are still very up and down, anywhere from about 19 to 26, but I think I can tell when I'm really "high" - if that makes sense...
I have had a few readings from 15 to 19 and I'm learning the foods that I seem to be ok with.

Thanks for all your initial support, its certainly been good to talk with people who walk the walk. Hopefully I'll eventually be able to help or encourage someone with a really high starting point like me.

Take care everyone.

Reactions: 21 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
your readings are coming down
like you my readings were very high, late 20,s to 30.s
with the help from here, mine are coming down nicely

Reactions: 2 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What was your a1c just out of curiosity as mine was 148 and doc said I can't even tell u how bad it is

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I was just curious to know I came at 16.2 first time and thn 148 a1c. I am still to see anyone above me :)
I have my a1c soon after the reading I gave you.
The doc I remember opened a chart saying I don't have anything above 130 on this so it's really bad.

xgemmiex

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Beegee, it sounds as though you're getting to grips with it all very nicely, keep up the good work!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

That is brilliant news. And we all know how hard work it can be, and how much information, change and adjustment is needed to get those results!

:D:D:D

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your replies and encouragement.
I know I've still got a long way to go and I know Ive got to figure out what "spikes" me, but I'm sure a really low sugar diet will be good for now!
Really appreciate all your comments.
BeeGee

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is in reply to Nomistheman, but, hey, someone else might have a comment too!

Now that's REALLY interesting.
Blurry vision - I've certainly got that.
Can't see to read with glasses on or glasses off!
Appointment with nurse this pm was going to ask her about it - its changed really quickly, just in the last 2 weeks.
So, would you say that is to be expected for some one as high as I was?
And why do we get it?!?!?
Really good to meet another "above the average high" person!
Take care,
BeeGee

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My first test was 26.6 followed by a 31 a few days later
Hba1c was 122

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for your replies and encouragement.
I know I've still got a long way to go and I know Ive got to figure out what "spikes" me, but I'm sure a really low sugar diet will be good for now!
Really appreciate all your comments.
BeeGee
Don't forget that carbs turn to sugar when they are eaten !
Well done with the lowing of your sugars .. I started high with the foul taste in mouth and blured vision.. It's all good now for me .. Took me 10 months to get here .. So small steps make the biggest changes

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
THanks Enclave - so you had the blurred vision too. Any idea why it happens and how long it can last?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens because the high sugar can change something in the eye. But the good news it can return to normal when your sugar returns to normal .. But don't bring your sugar levels crashing down too fast as it can lead to more problems. I got my sugars down over about a month .. Could have been a little longer..I also got the weight down .. Low carb high fat diet works for me. The high fat bit is ditching the low fat versions of things like cheese and milk. I also have my own meter so can keep an eye (;)) on what my sugar levels are

Quote from this site

Diabetes and blurred vision
High levels of blood sugar resulting from diabetes can affect your ability to see by causing the lens inside the eye to swell, which can result in temporary blurring of eyesight.

Blurring of vision may also occur as a result of very low blood sugar levels. If this is the case, your vision should return once your blood glucose levels have returned to the normal range.

If your blood sugar levels are fluctuating over time, you may notice that your vision improves and worsens for periods of time.