sugar levels at bedtime??

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There is one, pompous idiots that think Diabetes is contagious...
Hey all, I've had Diabetes Type 1 for 12 years, I can't seem to get a grip of no hypo's through the night, I can't go to bed any less than 11 without hypo'ing, if it's less that 10 I'm guaranteed a hypo of at least 3.5.. Any suggestions as to what can help or advice please? Thanks :) :)

Reactions: 4 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
What basal insulin are you using, how much of it do you take and at what time??

Reactions: 3 people

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What basal insulin are you using, how much of it do you take and at what time??

Hi, I take Novorapid during the day and Levemir at night, my night one I take at 10pm dose is 14u..

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I take lantus so can't comment on your insulin as I have no experience of that one.
Although could it be a timing issue with your dose, maybe try injecting basal in the mornings rather than before bed??? Check with your dsn before altering anything though. Also could be worth getting some 2 hourly readings thru the night to discuss with your dsn

Lucyloo19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
eat something that has sugar in it then test your blood sugar just before you go to sleep that what helps me but everyone is different you can try and see if that works

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
that 14 units of Levemir needs to be reduced..........

are you experienced in basal testing at all......?

Lucyloo19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
have you tried going six hours a=without eating and just testing to see how your blood sugars are doing if they go up or down then eat of course :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree the Levemir needs reducing a bit. Try 13 units and see how you do

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Almost certainly, your nighttime basal is too high. If I were you, I'd buy Gary Scheiner's Think Like a Pancreas. It explains all you need to know about changing your insulin dose.

He explains how to do basal testing, I follow this advice and it works perfectly: don't eat or inject fast acting insulin within about 4 hours of bedtime, take the difference between your before bed and before breakfast readings. For every 1.6mmol/l change adjust your nighttime basal by 10%.

I follow this rule every day as I need to change my basal on an almost daily basis.

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ive been diabetic for 20yrs and in the last year had problems with my night time sugars. I wouldnt go to bed less then 10.0 and take 20units of lantas, and wake either high or low. sometimes if it above 12 i would take 25-30 units of lantas and my sugars would be 3.2 in the morning. its trying to get a balance. I work long hours and theres days am less active then others, plus its what ive eaten at teatime that can have an effort too. Theres never the 2 nights the same. I worry going to bed about taking a hypo and not getting any signs as ive starting to lose some of them, so i end up staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning and getting a few hours sleep. there alot of factors. Its not easy, if you know what i mean, and no 2 people are the same, so 1 thing might work for me but not for you. Lol

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I take Novorapid during the day and Levemir at night, my night one I take at 10pm dose is 14u..
well im a type 1 on novorapid during the day and Lantus per evening i take this at about 7pm now and never had any hypos through the night,

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
that 14 units of Levemir needs to be reduced..........

are you experienced in basal testing at all......?
I take what my nurse has told me, I have a blood tester that tells me how much I need, I've been diabetic for 13 years so I think I know how to test my sugars and how much my body needs

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I take lantus so can't comment on your insulin as I have no experience of that one.
Although could it be a timing issue with your dose, maybe try injecting basal in the mornings rather than before bed??? Check with your dsn before altering anything though. Also could be worth getting some 2 hourly readings thru the night to discuss with your dsn

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you for the advice, when I was pregnant with my daughter I had to take half at night the rest at 6am so that might be worth a try, I always eat before bed but that doesn't work I think I need to speak to my nurse again, thanks again

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
well im a type 1 on novorapid during the day and Lantus per evening i take this at about 7pm now and never had any hypos through the night,

Melodie1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Everyone is different and some work for others, if I take too early I'm not covered enough through the day, thank you anyway

haylz2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is strange! I'm on humalog and levemir at night and I take 36 units of levemir and I don't hypo so how come you take so little and dont hyper?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Really...?

Your on Levemir I take it....?

Are you testing your basal on a daily basis or is it adjustments for things like activity....?
No, I'm on Lantus. My basal dose is strongly affected by exercise. Depending on the exercise, I decrease my basal by between 10 to 20% per day, until it plateaus at 6 units. If I don't do exercise, it increases by 20% per day until it plateaus at 22 units.

I take it at 10AM. Every day I basal test. I take it in the morning so that I can adjust it as soon as I know it's wrong, instead of spending the whole day with incorrect basal and having to constantly correct with either extra Novorapid or dextrose.