Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The boys in our house like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad .... if you like a laugh, have you watched the 'Worst Week of my Life' series? Very funny.

My kids also love Breaking Bad, I tried watching it and couldn't get past the first episode.

There's a few USA drama's that I would recommend, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, The Blacklist, Ray Donovan and Banshee are extremely good, all are on Sky unfortunately although they are out on DVD.

Reactions: 2 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a big fan of teenage rom coms ( not the rubbishy ones but the ones with a bit of something else ) so my list wouid include Some kind of wonderful with Eric Stolz, Pretty in Pink with Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy and Clueless with Alicia Silverstone and Paul Rudd.
Also love James Bond so any of them, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Agatha Christie's Death on the Nile and Murder on the Orient Express.
For a bit of light relief I like Hugh Jackman in VAn Helsing or the Harry Potters , or Robert Downey as Sherlock Holmes.
I do watch serious arty stuff too, but sometimes you just want to veg and lose yourself in a movie and these all make me smile.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
My kids also love Breaking Bad, I tried watching it and couldn't get past the first episode.

There's a few USA drama's that I would recommend, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, The Blacklist, Ray Donovan and Banshee are extremely good, all are on Sky unfortunately although they are out on DVD.
Yes I too watched the first 2 but couldn't get into it .... I just remembered a good series we watched recently. It was a download, English so could have been on UK TV yonks ago ... It was called 'Broadchurch' .. murder/mystery. It was one of those where we had to download the whole lot in one go!

Reactions: 4 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I absolutely love 80's/early 90's movies.
Big Trouble in Little China, St Elmo's Fire, Breakfast Club, Hear no evil see no evil, etc.

And @noblehead, I plan on watching Boardwalk Empire after I finish GoT. Did you watch The Sopranos at all?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes I too watched the first 2 but couldn't get into it .... I just remembered a good series we watched recently. It was a download, English so could have been on UK TV yonks ago ... It was called 'Broadchurch' .. murder/mystery. It was one of those where we had to download the whole lot in one go!

Broadchurch is excellent, it on was on UK tv screens last year and a new series is due to be screened later this year, well worth watching with some fine acting and deep plots.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
And @noblehead, I plan on watching Boardwalk Empire after I finish GoT. Did you watch The Sopranos at all?

I'm watching the final series of Boardwalk now on Sky, don't know why they are not doing another as it's a big hit here and across the pond,

Your probably not going to like me but I didn't enjoy the Sopranos, watched about 5 episodes and got bored with it, again my kids swear it's one of the best tv series ever, shows how we all have different views.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm watching the final series of Boardwalk now on Sky, don't know why they are not doing another as it's a big hit here and across the pond,

Your probably not going to like me but I didn't enjoy the Sopranos, watched about 5 episodes and got bored with it, again my kids swear it's one of the best tv series ever, shows how we all have different views.

It takes more than having different taste to me to make me not like you. ;)

C

chris lowe

it seems im the only person in the world that was surprised by the ending of sixth sense
If you've got the dvd, the director explains that the clue is when there is something red - a jumper, a blanket etc - appears then it's a supernatural ocurrence. I don't think M Night Shaylman (can't really remember his name but something like that) has done anything as good as that since.

C

chris lowe

If you like Dr Who and/or fantasy Pans Labyrinth from Guillermo del Torro is brilliant. I like most of his work including the Hellboy films.
The Skin I live In with Antonio Banderas is good, especially as he's using his native Sanish
I like all the Wallander series (but not Kenneth Brannah) and The Bridge, The Killing. I couldn't get into Borgen though.
I've just started watching The Strain on Sky Watch, started last week and again it's Guillermo del Torro

I went to see The Hundred Foot Journey last week with Helen Mirren which was a feel good film. Just waiting now for the final part of the Hobbit for our Boxing Day cinema trip.

Kathryn_Southern

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
The perfect question for a big-time movie buff like me! :happy:
As far as TV is concerned, I've just watched maybe 2 or 3 series like F.R.I.E.N.D.S., House of Cards (3 seasons) and Breaking Bad... House of Cards Season 2 was my favorite among all these.

When it comes to movies, I make sure I watch an average of 2-3 films a week (movies are my biggest stress-buster). Here goes, a list of my favorites from different genres:
  • Action: The Dark Knight (2008), Star Trek (2009), The Hurt Locker (2009), The Bourne Ultimatum (especially loved this one with Matt Damon in the lead), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
  • Comedy: A Fish Called Wanda (This 1988 movie is a plot-driven British brand of comic caper which keeps you in splits throughout), Little Miss Sunshine (2006), When Harry Met Sally (1989)
  • Animation: Finding Nemo (2003), Monsters, Inc. (2001), How to Train Your Dragon (both 1 and 2, they even have dragon games you can play related to the movie characters), Frozen (2013) and Shrek (the second movie was the best)
  • Romantic: The Notebook (especially touching if you've read the novel of the same name by Nicholas Sparks), When Harry Met Sally (1989) and of course The Titanic (1997).
These are some of the films which rank right on top of my list. A must-watch, all of these flicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Check out The Newsroom. Jeff Daniels is in it and so is Emily Mortimer. Its brilliant, Jeff Daniels is the other guy from Dumb and Dumber. Its not a Comdey but a hard hitting drama based in a newsroom.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Broadchurch is excellent, it on was on UK tv screens last year and a new series is due to be screened later this year, well worth watching with some fine acting and deep plots.

Broadchurch was excellent and the lead actor has a pretty good name too :D

I absolutely love 80's/early 90's movies.

I also love 80s and 90s films. Blues Brothers is one of my all time favourites.

Just now I am watching Under the Dome on TV and just started watching Gotham which seems promising.

Older TV Series that I watched at the time and loved were Lost and Six Feet Under.

C

chris lowe

Broadchurch was excellent and the lead actor has a pretty good name too :D

I also love 80s and 90s films. Blues Brothers is one of my all time favourites.

Just now I am watching Under the Dome on TV and just started watching Gotham which seems promising.

Older TV Series that I watched at the time and loved were Lost and Six Feet Under.

I'm watching Under the Dome, trouble is I've read the book and can't stop myself saying "well that wasn't in the book" I'm just waiting for big Jim to get what he's got coming. Gotham also seems to be shaping up well. Trouble is, there seems to be several interesting looking series starting up, so many programmes, so little time.......

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm watching Under the Dome, trouble is I've read the book and can't stop myself saying "well that wasn't in the book" I'm just waiting for big Jim to get what he's got coming. Gotham also seems to be shaping up well. Trouble is, there seems to be several interesting looking series starting up, so many programmes, so little time.......

I've got the ebook of Under the Dome to read but I've not started it yet. Was going to then the second series came on the TV.

Yeah I was also thinking that there is a lot of shows coming on, never seems to be enough time to watch them all.

C

chris lowe

By the way, has anyone been watching the Detectorists? Written & directed & starring McKenzie Crook and the fabulously versatile Toby Jones. It's had me in stitches for last few weeks. If you've got the time catch up with it on iplayer, but it's on tonight on BBC4 at 10

Janiept

Expert
The Worlds Fastest Indian with the wonderful Anthony Hopkins. A real feel good film that I smiled through from beginning to end.
Think I am going to watch it again tonight now i've been thinking about it. Thank god for Netflix.