98 % sure I am going to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and feeling rather down.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I am nearly 50, and today I got the results of a fasting blood test - it was above 7, which the GP says is diagnostic for diabetes. I have had high blood sugar levels in the last but they have always come down to under the diagnostic level.

I am blaming myself - I am very overweight and have always struggled with diet - I have tried and failed to lose weight so many times, and to be honest, I am not sure this will be any different.

To give you a bit of background, I have depression, and am just about to finish a course of therapy which has helped a lot. However, the rest of my life is a mess. My much loved mother in law is in a hospice, with terminal lung cancer - she probably only has days left, and we are all in bits about it, and I am trying to hold myself together so I can support my husband and sons - and to be honest, I am not doing a very good job of that, as I am on the edge of tears a lot of the time. Added to that, my eldest, who is away at university, is on crutches after dislocating his kneecap, and one of the dogs has ruptured not one but both rear anterior cruciate ligaments, and is going to need 2 lots of surgery, each needing a 3 month recovery period and costing £1.5k - thankfully the insurance will cover it.

So to be honest, this is just the final straw, and I don't think I can cope. A Facebook friend has pointed me to your forum, and I have joined - but should apologise for being such a wet mess.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry - I should have said, I have a second fasting blood test scheduled for next week, but I am pretty sure it will come back as too high - and if by some miracle it doesn't, then the doctor is still going to want to treat me, as he thinks I am very high risk.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome Knits. My original fasting level was in double figures. 12 I think. Within 4 months my glucose levels were low enough for the docs to think I was cured. I do not believe I am but have few issues with diabetes most of the time. It may not be as bad as you think:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hello knits. Im sorry to hear you are having such a tough time. But you have certainly come to the right place for help and support from kind kno.wledgeable people.

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi - I am nearly 50, and today I got the results of a fasting blood test - it was above 7, which the GP says is diagnostic for diabetes. I have had high blood sugar levels in the last but they have always come down to under the diagnostic level.

I am blaming myself - I am very overweight and have always struggled with diet - I have tried and failed to lose weight so many times, and to be honest, I am not sure this will be any different.

To give you a bit of background, I have depression, and am just about to finish a course of therapy which has helped a lot. However, the rest of my life is a mess. My much loved mother in law is in a hospice, with terminal lung cancer - she probably only has days left, and we are all in bits about it, and I am trying to hold myself together so I can support my husband and sons - and to be honest, I am not doing a very good job of that, as I am on the edge of tears a lot of the time. Added to that, my eldest, who is away at university, is on crutches after dislocating his kneecap, and one of the dogs has ruptured not one but both rear anterior cruciate ligaments, and is going to need 2 lots of surgery, each needing a 3 month recovery period and costing £1.5k - thankfully the insurance will cover it.

So to be honest, this is just the final straw, and I don't think I can cope. A Facebook friend has pointed me to your forum, and I have joined - but should apologise for being such a wet mess.

Gosh, you are not in a good place at the moment, but you have found these forums that are full of support. Don't play the blame game .. It will only bring you down emotionally.. Take your new found diabites as a new challange .. Becoming pro active in controlling your blood sugars can be intresting and help you loose weight, regaining health and energy..
Your mothering law is in the best place as in the hospice she should receive the pain release and care that she needs at this time.
Tears are good to release emotions .. Let them flow
What breed of dog do you have ?
Also as you wander through these forums you will not feel alone, return and ask questions ..
We are here with personal experience of diabites..
You can cope, we find strength in the strangest of places.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Knits and welcome,

You are having a really tough time right now, and this must be the last straw. Your stress levels must be sky high, and this may have given rise to any high blood sugars. It certainly doesn't help. Please don't blame yourself for this. Diabetes is random. It hits anyone. It is not your fault if you have it so please do not beat yourself up about it.

We are all here to help, so stick around and let us know how you go on.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Knits and welcome,

You are having a really tough time right now, and this must be the last straw. Your stress levels must be sky high, and this may have given rise to any high blood sugars. It certainly doesn't help. Please don't blame yourself for this. Diabetes is random. It hits anyone. It is not your fault if you have it so please do not beat yourself up about it.

In my head my post sounded like that.

MikeR71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all... Knits - I'm new here, but when I was diagnosed approaching 4 years ago (wow, has it been that long? - sorry, I digress!), I weighed in the region of 21 stone (I'm 6ft), and my blood sugar levels were pushing double digits (9.8, from memory). I also take medication for blood pressure, cholesterol, and for the last few months, mild depression - I'm in something of a viscous cycle where I get depressed about my personal circumstances (unemployed, single, and not exactly Brad Pitt), make poor diet choices, gain weight, get depressed, blah blah blah... I'm sure you've had this too. A year after my diagnosis, my father died from asbestos-related lung cancer.

In summary, you are not alone in your circumstances. As of last week, I was under 18 1/2 stone, and my most recent HbA1c (blood sugar test) result was 44... For those who still think on the old scale, 6.2. My blood pressure was 129/80, and my cholesterol has been consistently under 4 for a good while. I'm still looking for work, still single, but I now have a different outlook, I'm taking more exercise than I used to (recently bought a pedometer to track my walking levels), and my doctor has just reduced one of my diabetic meds (metformin) from 6 tablets daily to 5. I'm making progress, I can see weight coming off and sugars being stable if still slightly above normal, and trending downwards. This boosts my mood, and encourages me to stick at the things I have done to achieve these benefits.

A type 2 diagnosis need not be the end of the world. Yes, it will mean some adjustments to your lifestyle (dietary choices being a significant aspect of that, along with exercise). There is help out there, whether it's here, or from your doctor... You do not have to deal with a potential future diagnosis on your own. And let's not forget, at this stage, it's just that... A potential future diagnosis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You are not alone but you are obviously having to deal with many problems at the same time. Please try to persevere with a good diet as this is the single most important thing you can do to help with blood sugar control. Following you next tests and meeting with the GP you may want to get hold of a glucose meter as it will guide you on the better things to eat. We can provide lot's more guidance on diet etc so do come back with any questions

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh, you are not in a good place at the moment, but you have found these forums that are full of support. Don't play the blame game .. It will only bring you down emotionally.. Take your new found diabites as a new challange .. Becoming pro active in controlling your blood sugars can be intresting and help you loose weight, regaining health and energy..
Your mothering law is in the best place as in the hospice she should receive the pain release and care that she needs at this time.
Tears are good to release emotions .. Let them flow
What breed of dog do you have ?
Also as you wander through these forums you will not feel alone, return and ask questions ..
We are here with personal experience of diabites..
You can cope, we find strength in the strangest of places.
Thank you for that - it is all wise words.

We have two dogs - a brown Labrador, and a lab-pointer cross - both girls. The lab-pointer is a rescue dog, and she's the one who has ruptured both cruciate ligaments, poor thing. They are both being a great comfort, at the moment.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Knits and welcome,

Thank you blue tit!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all... Knits - I'm new here, but when I was diagnosed approaching 4 years ago (wow, has it been that long? - sorry, I digress!), I weighed in the region of 21 stone (I'm 6ft), and my blood sugar levels were pushing double digits (9.8, from memory). I also take medication for blood pressure, cholesterol, and for the last few months, mild depression - I'm in something of a viscous cycle where I get depressed about my personal circumstances (unemployed, single, and not exactly Brad Pitt), make poor diet choices, gain weight, get depressed, blah blah blah... I'm sure you've had this too. A year after my diagnosis, my father died from asbestos-related lung cancer.

In summary, you are not alone in your circumstances. As of last week, I was under 18 1/2 stone, and my most recent HbA1c (blood sugar test) result was 44... For those who still think on the old scale, 6.2. My blood pressure was 129/80, and my cholesterol has been consistently under 4 for a good while. I'm still looking for work, still single, but I now have a different outlook, I'm taking more exercise than I used to (recently bought a pedometer to track my walking levels), and my doctor has just reduced one of my diabetic meds (metformin) from 6 tablets daily to 5. I'm making progress, I can see weight coming off and sugars being stable if still slightly above normal, and trending downwards. This boosts my mood, and encourages me to stick at the things I have done to achieve these benefits.

A type 2 diagnosis need not be the end of the world. Yes, it will mean some adjustments to your lifestyle (dietary choices being a significant aspect of that, along with exercise). There is help out there, whether it's here, or from your doctor... You do not have to deal with a potential future diagnosis on your own. And let's not forget, at this stage, it's just that... A potential future diagnosis.
Wow - you have done so well - it is so encouraging to know that success is possible, and I will try to hold onto good examples like you.

MikeR71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I still have a way to go, though... But so much of the solution is in our heads. Change the way you think - with help, if that's what it takes - and other changes will follow. When they start happening, you'll feel so much better about your situation, and that vicious cycle I mentioned actually reverses itself, and then the positive change snowballs just like the negativity does.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

Welcome! I was diagnosed on 28th of Jan, weighed 16st 1lb and had fasting bs of 13.
I now weigh 12st 4 and bs is 5.5 - 6.
I felt the same when I was first diagnosed. The best bits of advice I can give are as follows:
Get a meter. The best one is the SD code free because the strips are the cheapest around. If you go to the chemists the strips are £25 per pot for the meters they sell. Although you must buy the codefree on line, you can buy the strips in bulk eg 5 pots for £25 if you use the discount code. First class postage is 50p.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
I kept a food diary. In the beginning, test before food and then 1 hour and 2 hours after. This gives you an idea of what foods you can and can't eat. After a month or two you will have a pretty good idea and will need to test less often though I usually test a couple of times a day or if I feel funny or unwell.
I also followed a low carb diet. LCHF worked for me. It's easy, don't need to weigh anything or carb or calorie count and the food is filling. See
http://www.dietdoctor.com/
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!