Could do with some advice and help

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Thanks guys, I am off soon to get the bus and I will ask about RSD at Hand Therapy appointment. Also in the clinic there are leaflets on Arthritis, so I will have a look at those. I will ask questions about the hand/wrist, but when the cast was removed on the 16th Sept,, with an xray, consultant said it had healed remarkably well !! BFN

RRB :).
I am so pleased you now have the right diagnosis, it was obvious to me when I saw the photos my heart goes out to you because I have been there.I was afraid to give too much information because it's a scary condition. Mine is 15 years ago now but I was unlucky enough to have my hand set as though holding a cup (because of the nature of the fracture) and because of the RSD my fingers remained bent but thanks to the therapists and a lot of painful exercises they are now almost fully straight again. Keep up with the excersises, they are very painful and you may always have a 'slanted' hand but at the end of the day if it hadn't been picked up and treated it could have been much much worse. All I was told at the time was it was a reaction of the nervous system. Good look with the exercises, just grit your teeth, the more you do the better your hand will be
I

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi RRB
You are getting somewhere that is good and you are rare .....:rolleyes:

Hope all starts to improve from now on ...always better when you know what you are dealing with ....
Glad you have stopped the vomiting ....you are great for starting to try to work ...take it easy though ...
Sending you more hugs ((((( )))))) and my very best wishes for your health ...Kat X

Aawww I like the first sentence kat......... as a compliment ??? o_O lol
. Not a bad day today, but didn't re-start countryside job this morning, as client has a sickness and tummy bug . I will take care, I just miss being active, out and about and well. But so looking forward to the day when I can do all my jobs.:joyful:
Hope you have a lovely day and take care,x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am so pleased you now have the right diagnosis, it was obvious to me when I saw the photos my heart goes out to you because I have been there.I was afraid to give too much information because it's a scary condition. Mine is 15 years ago now but I was unlucky enough to have my hand set as though holding a cup (because of the nature of the fracture) and because of the RSD my fingers remained bent but thanks to the therapists and a lot of painful exercises they are now almost fully straight again. Keep up with the excersises, they are very painful and you may always have a 'slanted' hand but at the end of the day if it hadn't been picked up and treated it could have been much much worse. All I was told at the time was it was a reaction of the nervous system. Good look with the exercises, just grit your teeth, the more you do the better your hand will be
I

Thanks again, physio did say 5 to 10 years ago they didn't really understand the condition and hence not a lot of could be done unlike what they can do now. I doubt whether I will ever have a normal hand/wrist again, but just to get it into a better position, without the pain and being able to use it would be fantastic.
I can try and imagine what you went through, but it must of been so debilitating for you at the time, so it's lovely to hear of your recovery.:) Well done for getting through it.
Hope you are having a good day and many, many thanks for your advice,help and encouragement.

RRB :)

K

Kat100

Aawww I like the first sentence kat......... as a compliment ??? o_O lol
. Not a bad day today, but didn't re-start countryside job this morning, as client has a sickness and tummy bug . I will take care, I just miss being active, out and about and well. But so looking forward to the day when I can do all my jobs.:joyful:
Hope you have a lovely day and take care,x
Our little robins are getting very rare these days ...lol ;) Yes a compliment ....:angelic:

I am feeding two at the moment ...they of course are very sweet and demanding ...there is trouble if I have not crushed the biscuits and grated the cheese....:rolleyes: Have put another bird feeder up lots of little long tails around ....

Hope you and your daughter have a nice weekend ...goodness warm today ...I have just been to my neighbours house and put banners in her garden she does not no that I know it's a special birthday for her ....! Always up for a bit of fun .... :) xxx:hilarious:

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening guys, update on todays appointment.
I asked about RSD at my Hand therapy and..................... I have it !! apparently CRPS is actually the same, but an older term of the condition.
He asked how I was doing, but said no change really and I told him of the touching and feeling techniques on the poorly hand and he was happy with what I am doing. I have now been given the' mirror technique' to do at home. This should be done every hour with 10 repetitive actions. I did say I am trying to start one of my jobs ( hopefully tomorrow):) so every hour will be impossible and he said to do as much as I can then. The therapy is about de-sensitising the hand and wrist and re-training the brain. I am not to do anything that causes pain, as this will send wrong messages to the brain.. RSD is a more rarer condition and my 'physio' said he sees only about 10 cases a year. It is still unclear as to why this happens to some people. .
I will read up more about RSD and my next appointment is Friday the 10th. Also I am whacked out a lot of the time, but still no vomiting since Sunday which is great as my BS can still be very erratic ( last night went to bed on 7.9 and awoke on 13.3 :eek:
Your help and advice has been brilliant, so many thanks :D x
So pleased you are getting sorted out, hope you get more movement I your arm and wrist than the wife has, like you said, when my wife had the problem it was not known about like it is now. Also the person who commented about the scafode ( not the right spelling) bone in the wife's wrist .. It is broken ,, it has a crazy paving look to the little bones this is why they wanted to remove it .

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks again, physio did say 5 to 10 years ago they didn't really understand the condition and hence not a lot of could be done unlike what they can do now. I doubt whether I will ever have a normal hand/wrist again, but just to get it into a better position, without the pain and being able to use it would be fantastic.
I can try and imagine what you went through, but it must of been so debilitating for you at the time, so it's lovely to hear of your recovery.:) Well done for getting through it.
Hope you are having a good day and many, many thanks for your advice,help and encouragement.

RRB :)
It is a long road and will be painful to begin with but the more you treat it the better it will get. Don't want to cause you a scare but it's so important for you to keep the fingers moving as much as possible also to use the hand as much as you can when doing light jobs, try not to put weight on it, rather use it as light support. Mine was classed as serious, because of the position it was plastered my fingers were static and I had to wear the most hideous of splints to straighten them and it took around 3years to see improvement. Today, although my fingers are not completely straight, I am able to do anything I wish including gardening, sewing, knitting, crochet etc without pain. Fortunately you do not have the finger problem and hopefully your hand will become straighter with time. RSD Is horrible, painful and distressing and can cause disability but I think you have been lucky and do not think you will have the problems I had. Keep up the exercises and keep us informed of your progress

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi all, just popped in with an update.

I now have some slight movement in my thumb,:) hand is still swollen but therapist thinks the swelling has gone down and my fingers don't look so sausage shaped. I still have pain all the time but on good days, its just uncomfortable, on the bad days the hand and wrist get locked solid and looks like I am pointing sharply to the right. and quite painful. I have managed to cut some finger nails because they were growing at an astonishing rate.:eek:
My therapist says its best not to look for changes because it will take a long time to heal.and it could make me feel negative.about the hand. I cant move the wrist but still continuing with the mirror exercises and putting my arm in warm water is very soothing and benificial with some gentle movement. Will try to upload a more recent photo of the hand and wrist.. it's about 10/11 weeks since the break.

@poohtiggy did you have any other symptoms regarding other area's of your body that were affected, ? as my dentist has now referred me to the oral medical department at my hospital because of a problem in the upper left gum area. I do know CRPS can affect other limbs.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi all, just popped in with an update.

I now have some slight movement in my thumb,:) hand is still swollen but therapist thinks the swelling has gone down and my fingers don't look so sausage shaped. I still have pain all the time but on good days, its just uncomfortable, on the bad days the hand and wrist get locked solid and looks like I am pointing sharply to the right. and quite painful. I have managed to cut some finger nails because they were growing at an astonishing rate.:eek:
My therapist says its best not to look for changes because it will take a long time to heal.and it could make me feel negative.about the hand. I cant move the wrist but still continuing with the mirror exercises and putting my arm in warm water is very soothing and benificial with some gentle movement. Will try to upload a more recent photo of the hand and wrist.. it's about 10/11 weeks since the break.

@poohtiggy did you have any other symptoms regarding other area's of your body that were affected, ? as my dentist has now referred me to the oral medical department at my hospital because of a problem in the upper left gum area. I do know CRPS can affect other limbs.

Best wishes RRB
Hi, it's good to hear you have some slight movement in the thumb, keep doing what you're doing as it is showing results and yes, having it in warm water will help and also makes it easier to try moving it. I feel for you because it's hard and painful, very painful! I didn't have a problem anywhere else on my body so you have been unlucky a second time, poor you. I imagine you feel like you're not getting anywhere very fast but it is a very slow recovery. It will take quite some time before you see any noticeable difference but every exercise and movement is a step nearer that goal so keep it up and don't despair, you will get results in the end. Well done for persevering, some people give up because they can't work through the pain, you are doing great.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
RRB I'm so sorry to read that you are now having such awful problems. I hope it gets easier for you xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you poohtiggy and mrsB, I will get there in the end, but as therapist said it will be like a rollercoaster. As poohtiggy has been through the same thing, knowing that there is a light at the end the end of tunnel is a great help. I am determined to keep going and will not give up, me and the left hand have been together for 56 years and the right one is missing it :)

Hows the leg now, is it recovering better now ? as yours was quite a smash up as well.:inpain:

Many thanks again and take care

RRB x

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you poohtiggy and mrsB, I will get there in the end, but as therapist said it will be like a rollercoaster. As poohtiggy has been through the same thing, knowing that there is a light at the end the end of tunnel is a great help. I am determined to keep going and will not give up, me and the left hand have been together for 56 years and the right one is missing it :)

Hows the leg now, is it recovering better now ? as yours was quite a smash up as well.:inpain:

Many thanks again and take care

RRB x
It doesn't hurt particularly anymore but still really swells if I'm up and about rather than sitting with it up all day. Get X-ray again next Tuesday to see if it has healed. Fingers crossed. I have started physio to help try and flatten the foot out and bend it etc but will probably be on crutches til Xmas. Am hoping to get rid of the boot next week tho :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good luck on Tuesday mrsB, please let us know how you get on, wont you .>

Take good care

RRB x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi all, a lot of you will know what happened with my wrist and the complications in August and September 2014.
On the 3rd january it will be 5 months since the break, so I took 3 updated photo's today to show you how it is now. as you can see it's still not 'right' but slow progress it being made. My hand and wrist have been very stiff these past few days and painful as well, It could be down to the colder weather possibily? Some of you have helped me on this rather horrible journey and, as I have said before, your help and support has been just wonderful and so comforting, I cant thank you enough :angelic: love to you all RRB x

webcam-toy-photo45.jpg webcam-toy-photo46.jpg webcam-toy-photo47.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
RRB I fractured my shoulder and required keyhole surgery 2 years later to remove bone fragments and fix tendons due to impingement on moving. It has got more range of movement but still gets stiff in cold/damp weather and when I am not using it. Sometimes it is a waiting game, like inflammation resolving and exercising especially joints. Hope it resolves soon.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, your hand is looking better, I had not realised it was your right hand, that would be difficult if you are right handed! It was my left and that was difficult enough. I notice it still looks a little discoloured but the swelling has improved lot, well done you. Exercise is the key to further improvement, it's hard and painful and I feel for you but you have done so well so keep up the good work. It will react to the cold weather, breaks usually do but also consider that the nervous system has been affected too. If you can, it is better to wear mittens than gloves as they keep all the fingers together and therefore they are warmer improving circulation.Hope all goes well at your appointment let us know here how you get on.Poohtiggy

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, your hand is looking better, I had not realised it was your right hand, that would be difficult if you are right handed! It was my left and that was difficult enough. I notice it still looks a little discoloured but the swelling has improved lot, well done you. Exercise is the key to further improvement, it's hard and painful and I feel for you but you have done so well so keep up the good work. It will react to the cold weather, breaks usually do but also consider that the nervous system has been affected too. If you can, it is better to wear mittens than gloves as they keep all the fingers together and therefore they are warmer improving circulation.Hope all goes well at your appointment let us know here how you get on.Poohtiggy

Thank you @poohtiggy
it is the left hand. Photo taken on this chromebook, so yes it does look like the right hand.

Next hand therapy 8th January.

Take care

RRB

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:) RRB. Your wrist any better (and it is chilly) ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
:) RRB. Your wrist any better (and it is chilly) ?

I know it is wierd looking, but colour swelling,pain and shinniness is better and I can use it, if only a little bit. But Kevin the therapist is always positive and it will take a long timeto 'heal', but he did say on last visit that I wont have normal use like the right hand. Thank goodness we have two hands eh, just a lot of bad luck.

Thanks for asking, I think the colder damp weather is a factor at the moment.
Best wishes RRB

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Try and keep the joint moving, if you don't use it you lose it. Happy country job today as I am being a lazy pig as we have been blessed with another Bank Holiday here lol.