Microsoft jumps from Win8 to Win to 10, Why?

Will you upgrade to Win 10?

• Total voters

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Came across this article regarding Windows 10 and thought it may be of interest to some of you folks.

Is this why Microsoft named it Windows10?
Nick Statt (CNET)

"Seemingly everyone on the Net has a theory as to why Microsoft skipped the name "Windows 9" and jumped to 10.
Here's one explanation that actually makes sense.

There are quite a few theories floating around out there as to why Microsoft decided to name the latest version of its flagship operating system Windows 10, skipping over Windows 9. On Tuesday, the company unveiled the name and showed off a brief
demo of the OS at a press event in San Francisco. The leap from Windows 8 to Windows 10 easily stole the spotlight from
any visual design and developmental changes Microsoft has baked in to the product.

So what's the deal? On the surface, it appears to be smart marketing. The Windows 8 brand has been mired in controversy for the last two years stemming from Microsoft's bold yet unfamiliar design language and functionality decisions. So why not scrap any association with an entire numeric leap?

Other theories are that there are 10 major consumer releases of Windows, making this a celebration of that progress, while some feel it should have been called Windows 11 in that case. Some think Microsoft may make future Windows releases incremental, and thus free, after Windows 10 -- the same strategy Apple employed when it switched from numerals to feral cats after the release of Mac OS X. That theory has been bolstered by reports earlier this week stating that Andreas Diantoro, the president of Microsoft Indonesia, reportedly said the company was planning on making its next version of Windows free to current Windows 8 users. (The company declined to talk Windows 10 business models yesterday.)

Yet no explanation seems to come close to matching that of a self-described Microsoft developer who goes by the name cranbourne on the social news site Reddit. The user points the finger at Microsoft's almost 20-year-old releases that helped make the software maker a household name during the rise of the PC:

Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed just how many third party
products that had code of the form if (version.StartsWith("Windows 9")) { /* 95 and 98 */ } else {and
that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

"Having worked on the Windows compatibility team before, I have no difficulty believing this," wrote user richkzad in response.
There are in fact examples of this on publicly available code repositories.

Essentially, many software programs that have been updated to be compatible with each and every Windows upgrade since 1995 may have recycled a version of this code snippet to allow them to work with both Windows 95 and Windows 98. If Microsoft's next OS had been named Windows 9, such software would have seen that the name starts with "Windows 9" and could have confused the new operating system with Win 95 and 98. That could have created compatibility issues and caused the programs to stop working, or it could have led to version-check errors or other unknown problems.

Examples might include outdated but still-in-use versions of software from Apple, such as QuickTime; scores of word processing apps and plugins; and even large-scale enterprise software from companies like SAP and Oracle that's used to do resource planning, customer and supply chain management and database development. Obviously, this could have been a disaster, one Microsoft would rather sidestep.

Not only does this theory seem to be more probable than other explanations -- countless troves of third-party software were built on the backbone of Windows 95 and Windows 98 -- it also seems to be sprouting up independently among other Microsoft watchers and tech industry pontificators. Here's blogger and technologist Anil Dash with the very same conclusion:

I bet the real reason it's called Windows 10 is because some enterprise app written 20 years
ago checks for "Windows 9x". #imaginethemeeting-- ???? (@anildash) September 30, 2014

There is no way of knowing what Microsoft executives were really thinking for now. Terry Myerson, Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, took a great deal of time at the beginning of yesterday's event to toy with the audience. He first explained why Windows 9 would make logical sense, only to wipe the PowerPoint screen. He went on to say that Windows One was a better choice as it jibed with the company's non-sequential naming scheme for its Xbox gaming console (the company released the "Xbox" and then the "Xbox 360," only to go with "Xbox One" for the gadget's latest iteration). But Myerson joked yet again, saying the Windows One name was already taken and showing a slide of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, who oversaw the original Windows 1.0 release.

When Myerson landed on Windows 10, he had to reassure the crowd that he was indeed serious this time. They were skipping 9 -- for real. "It's a name that resonated best with what we'll deliver," Myerson said.

When reached for comment, a Microsoft spokesperson said, "Windows 10 carries Windows forward into a new way of doing things. It is not an incremental change, but a new Windows that will empower the next billion users."

weewillie
fdf_zps17a79e35.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seems like a fairly plausible explanation.
They do seem to release new versions of window very quickly.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Seems like a fairly plausible explanation.
They do seem to release new versions of window very quickly.

Yes it does really, dtennant9, doesn't it.

Yeh, and watch the money rolling in.

And then they'll eventually abandon updates for the likes of Windows 7,
just as they did with XP without giving a second thought for the many
people who still use it.

Typical :rolleyes:

Not a thing we can about it.

That's life I guess, mores the pity. :)

uoi_zpsc368e865.gif

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I keep getting a reminder to switch from Windows 8 to 8.1 although I've not done so as yet, heard bad things about it and that is the reason why.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I upgrade my windows on every laptop I buy by formatting the drive and wiping all trace off of it. All my virus issues gone in seconds as well.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I keep getting a reminder to switch from Windows 8 to 8.1 although I've not done so as yet, heard bad things about it and that is the reason why.

I myself find Windows8.1 a bit superior and faster than Windows8 noblehead.
Can't quite put my finger on why, it just seems better.
Took me quite a while to convince myself I should try Windows 8 though. lol.

I still have Windows7 on one of my exterior drives as I've some good
programs that will not run Win8.1.
They date back to the late 90's early 2000 and not available now,
but very good and run without any problems.

btw, Win7 run very well alongside Win 8.

weewillie
fdf.gif

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Willie. Must admit I found Win 7 fine and Win XP good too, as I've only just got use to Win 8 I'll stick with that for now :)

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I upgrade my windows on every laptop I buy by formatting the drive and wiping all trace off of it. All my virus issues gone in seconds as well.

Hi Andrew, but you shouldn't really need to format a new hard drive.
Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

Anyway, formatting a hard drive is certainly a surefire method
of obliterating any viruses/malware it may contain.

weewillie
fdf.gif

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks Willie. Must admit I found Win 7 fine and Win XP good too, as I've only just got use to Win 8 I'll stick with that for now :)
Yeh, take your time to think about it, don't be forced into installing win 8/8.1.

If you ever do decide to install win8, remember it's best to install
a fresh copy rather than simply upgrading from an earlier version.

Cheers.

weewillie
fdf.gif

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:banghead:
I recently upgraded to Windows 8 then8.1 (well that's what Microsoft like to call it) From my beloved XP.
It isn't an upgrade its a pain in the bum. I have even thought about rolling back.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am still using Windows 7 and will stick with it until it becomes obsolete. My husband builds all our computers himself, so if I need a new one I will upload W7 again from the CD and spend weeks waiting for it to update everything!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Andrew, but you shouldn't really need to format a new hard drive.
Or have I misunderstood what you mean?

Yes, Just my facetious way of saying get rid on whimblows and put linux on it. No need to pay for updates, upgrades,... it is all free

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it does really, dtennant9, doesn't it.

Yeh, and watch the money rolling in.

And then they'll eventually abandon updates for the likes of Windows 7,
just as they did with XP without giving a second thought for the many
people who still use it.

Typical :rolleyes:

Not a thing we can about it.

That's life I guess, mores the pity. :)

uoi_zpsc368e865.gif

I still use good old Windows XP at work and Windows 7 on my laptop at home.

Still remeber the days of Windows 3.1 :D