• Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Not sure why you would be expected to be given a meter to do your testing - I'm not in the UK but here in Canada when your told your diabetic you are told that you need to test min of twice a day (if type 2) at random to get a feel for what your numbers are with and without food. Type 1 and T2s on insulin is another matter for testing amounts but still not given a meter you still have to go and get it yourself (they are all the same, no brand is really cheaper then the other in general, all meter are prity much free when you buy 100 strips for that particular meter or just go to the web site for the meter and sign up and the company sends you the meter for free and keeps replacing it ever year or two (or that's what i've dun and the companies send me new meter lick clock work, just have to buy strips every month).

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Hi there folks,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes Thursday 23rd October.

I am not shocked, frightened or surprised; nor do I experience any other of the emotions mentioned. I just simply don't believe the Doctor. I certainly am not going to start shoving more tablets down my throat. I have been taking Beta blockers for at least five years, and what good did they do? Absolute zero. True, they probably helped keep me alive, but at what cost? They interfere with my bodily functions, they gave me tinnitus, and water retention; not to mention weight gain. (So maybe they caused my Type two, if indeed I do have this condition. Finally, these drugs help line the coffers of the drug companies, and they help bankrupt the NHS. (At 75 I don't pay for my drugs and I am not alone by a long, long stretch. I don't want that guilt thank you!)

I also hear about a diet called the Newcastle Diet. Reading about that fills me with horror. I fear if my doctor expects me to live on 600 calories a day, she has another expectation coming. She told me to eat minuscule portions, but didn't mention anything about forbidden foods, other than to warn me off pastries and sugar; as if I would need to be told that. Those are the things that caused my obesity in the first place, due to my own stupidity; in eating food I knew was no use to me, but somehow thinking it wouldn't harm me.

So from now on, I go low-carb, for life. I tried it a year ago, and I lost three stones inside seven to eight months. Stupid again, I got back on bread and pies, and other starches and sugars. I learned my lesson. From now on if it doesn't grow ON a bush or a tree, if it doesn't fly, swim, or walk around the Earth, then I don't ingest it. certainly if it is MADE, or (processed) by man, then I avoid it like the plague. Even if it is made from stuff that is grown. Definitely if it's bread! End of story.

I will discuss my attitudes with anyone who is interested, and I will keep a record of what happens to me. At the moment I have no symptoms whatsoever, that couldn't also be put down to simple obesity.

So my answer to type two? You're wasting your time. This time, you chose the wrong person.

alliebee

I'm sorry you seem to be feeling very angry...and no wonder. It a huge shock when we are confronted by blood test evidence or by our doctors. It sometimes feels easier to just deny it and feel angry...denial is one of the ways some people give themselves time to get their head around it. Sadly your Dr would not have told you that you had developed type 2 diabetes without medical tests.. I firstly would say hi...and welcome to the forum. We are a friendly lot you know...and everyone of us has been where you are now. I can understamd why you don't want to take more tablets. But give yourself a little time and by making a few changes to your diet you will be amazed at the difference..
Read around the forum and be kind to yourself. Beta blockers would not "give you" diabetes. Sadly though you have it and we can try to help you through the inevitable questions you may have...I'm so pleased you decided to have a look here though..