FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you are posting in the wrong thread then as I started this one. It’s good to hear all reviews not just positive ones as that doesn’t give any indication of what the product is like.
Some people find it doesn’t work, and are on here giving honest reviews and asking for advice. That’s the whole point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
This post was meant to be more about positive experiences as I started it. If you want to keep being negative and knit picking on positive experiences, then I suggest you start a negative thread so that many of who are having a positive experience dont have to be exposed to your negativity.
You did not start this post - you butted in recently - this [click] is the post you started - it seems to have petered out.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Seriously I'm out of here can't be doing with petty squabbling enjoy guys some folk just know how 2 ruin things !!!!!!

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
Hi just want to check is the Libre something that can be used if you are on injections or is it more for pump users. The ends of my fingers have hard skin from all the years of testing!! Would be grateful is someone could let me know. Thanks

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on injections and wanted it to give me an idea of what's going on over long periods. At this stage it doesn't seem like it could be a reliable replacement for finger pricking but maybe able to do less

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi just want to check is the Libre something that can be used if you are on injections or is it more for pump users. The ends of my fingers have hard skin from all the years of testing!! Would be grateful is someone could let me know. Thanks
It's good for those on injections

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It can be used by any diabetic...on MDI or the pump.
Before you decide to buy it, do your research on testing you blood using blood and on testing with interstitial fluid.
You can then make an informed decision as there are costs involved and this type of testing is not for everybody.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It can be used by any diabetic...on MDI or the pump.
Before you decide to buy it, do your research on testing you blood using blood and on testing with interstitial fluid.
You can then make an informed decision as there are costs involved and this type of testing is not for everybody.
It's easier for me to ask on here, rather than Google it, but what is the delay on interstitial fluid compares to a finger prick and are the results comparable? I.e., does 5.5 in interstitial fluid mean the same as 5.5 in the blood?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine has been in for nearly 24 hours now and I have had some bizarre results with as much as 4 mmols difference between libre and meter !! I have also had problems with the handset not finding the sensor until the 4th or 5th attempt.

However it now seems to be scanning at the first attempt and my last result was 5.1 libre and 5.3 contour next:)

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's easier for me to ask on here, rather than Google it, but what is the delay on interstitial fluid compares to a finger prick and are the results comparable? I.e., does 5.5 in interstitial fluid mean the same as 5.5 in the blood?

Theres a delay between blood and interstitial. - up to 10 mins behind and if your blood levels are dropping or climbing fast, there will be a bigger variable
https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=readings+between+blood+glucose+and+interstitial+fluid

Also...if a person is overweight and have more fatty layers under the skin, then that can also give a more variable reading. If a person is not hydrated enough, then that too can play a part in variable reading. I guess it could apply to age too. Older people may have a more variable reading without going into too much that Ive read up on.

For me...even if there is a variable or if my readings lag behind my finger prick readings, its ok and perfectly fine. I know my body and how it feels to be hyper or hypo. I love the arrows it gives because they are pretty accurate in telling you if your glucose is climbing, dropping or stable.
For fine tuning, I love the AGP software. No other meter does this.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My arrows aren't working either. you can see it's 3 out (on libre blood too but can't do that in one photo) I'm deffo going up but it's horizontal. Eek.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    754.5 KB · Views: 360

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is showing as out for delivery... so due any minute.

Having thought about this, I have been spreading my blood drops across 3 different meters, cross checking. Results are a bit of an eye opener to say the least.

I have a bayer usb contour next, a Freestyle Neo and an Accu-check Aviva (love the multiclix finger pricker).

Absolutely consistently over the last 3 days the contour next always reads highest, the Neo in the middle and the Aviva always reads low. An example was this morning with 6.5, 5.4 and 4.4 on them respectively. On average the contour next gave 2.5 mmol above the Aviva, the Neo spots in the middle.

I am going to finger prick test using the Libre and check that against the scan results, it makes no sense to do anything else given the consistency of 'difference of opinion' across the meters. Abbott talk about using an algorithm (i.e fudge factor) to calculate values for scan results. It would not surprise me if that algorithm attempts to correlate with finger prick results.

My personal aim is get an idea of what is going on overnight and the Libre is the only way available to me. I hate those nightmares when I go low (my avatar says it all :eek:)

supp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I contacted Abbott about the discomfort of the sensor. He recommended I see my health care professional. They have had no reports of discomfort after insertion. And I may be allergic to the fibre!? My arm is still quite numb.. Also get a jabbing pain sometimes. I don't want to take it off as that's £48 down the drain. He said to try another sensor on my other arm and if that gives me problems too I should discontinue using the system :/

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is showing as out for delivery... so due any minute.

Having thought about this, I have been spreading my blood drops across 3 different meters, cross checking. Results are a bit of an eye opener to say the least.

I have a bayer usb contour next, a Freestyle Neo and an Accu-check Aviva (love the multiclix finger pricker).

Absolutely consistently over the last 3 days the contour next always reads highest, the Neo in the middle and the Aviva always reads low. An example was this morning with 6.5, 5.4 and 4.4 on them respectively. On average the contour next gave 2.5 mmol above the Aviva, the Neo spots in the middle.

I am going to finger prick test using the Libre and check that against the scan results, it makes no sense to do anything else given the consistency of 'difference of opinion' across the meters. Abbott talk about using an algorithm (i.e fudge factor) to calculate values for scan results. It would not surprise me if that algorithm attempts to correlate with finger prick results.

My personal aim is get an idea of what is going on overnight and the Libre is the only way available to me. I hate those nightmares when I go low (my avatar says it all :eek:)

I found this statement to be rather interesting whilst researching this subject:
"As for testing twice on the same meter a minute apart and getting a different number (yes, I tried that too!), I learned that the first drop of blood you squeeze out of your finger is not the same as the very next drop of blood. It may contain more interstitial fluid (the solution that surrounds our cells), which can give a lower reading."

Abbott also trialed the Libre on non diabetics and they all stayed within their normal non diabetic ratios.

This was an interesting artice:
http://www.diabetesmine.com/2012/09/why-meters-cant-tell-us-our-blood-sugar-levels.html

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@igmr that's a good plan. I'll be interested to know your results. My Libre and Contour Next are pretty much the same by blood tests, but scanning doesn't match or follow patterns.

@supp could it have hit a mole or something?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Login,

Are the gaps in the figures mistakes? I assume the gap on Thursday morning is when the sensor died? There aren't any figures around 3/4am last night - is that a malfunction too? Sorry: I just ask because I thought the sensor would document our levels all the time, every 15 mins.

Many sympathies with your frustrations. I hope it gets sorted out soon - we all want this to WORK !