FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Login,

Are the gaps in the figures mistakes? I assume the gap on Thursday morning is when the sensor died? There aren't any figures around 3/4am last night - is that a malfunction too? Sorry: I just ask because I thought the sensor would document our levels all the time, every 15 mins.

Many sympathies with your frustrations. I hope it gets sorted out soon - we all want this to WORK !

When you say there are missing figures, Do you mean figures of times when you scanned and got a reading? The sensor does not document levels all the time or every 15 mins. It merely acts like a meter. You scan, get a reading and it stores it. Its not a continuous glucose monitor.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say there are missing figures, Do you mean figures of times when you scanned and got a reading? The sensor does not document levels all the time or every 15 mins. It merely acts like a meter. You scan, get a reading and it stores it. Its not a continuous glucose monitor.
If you export data from the app you can see it takes a reading every 15 minutes in addition to scans

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
14:18 and am now sensored. 50 minutes to go. I wonder how these react to shop door security systems? One step closer to the state electronic tattoo with id details and GPS <shudder>. At one level I'm amazed I tagged myself like this.

My insulinx and contour were always 1.5mmol different but as it was consistent it was never a problem.

Completely painless insertion which was pleasing and I really cannot feel it in place. I'll give it the weekend to settle down.

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We all know that comparing tests on different meters drives us mad as they are rarely the same, so we always advise each other not to do it.

Emmotha's clearly isn't working (isn't Emmotha a lovely name?), but normally, dead right, Smidge. I wasted days doing this. Waste of time.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One step closer to the state electronic tattoo with id details and GPS <shudder>. At one level I'm amazed I tagged myself like this.

Right, @igmr! It's the Triffids I keep thinking of ..

H

Hooked

Maybe some people just need to stop comparing and relax a little. You know your body and you know when you getting a bit hypo or hyper.

Not every diabetic knows when they are going hypo or hyper. Many, like myself, have lost hypo awareness.
Having seen the random variations a lot of people are experiencing on the Libre, I won't be rushing out to buy it soon. If it gave me a normal reading when I was actually hypo, I'd be out for the count without knowing anything was wrong. Other diabetics are the same, and for that reason should NOT "stop comparing and relax"; it could potentially cost them their lives whilst Abbott sort it out.

Reactions: 4 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you export data from the app you can see it takes a reading every 15 minutes in addition to scans

Apologies Robert, im a little lost. export data from the app? Do you mean plugging the libre into your pc and downloading the data?
When I see app.... I usually think phone app..lol

supp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@supp
:wideyed: Ouch
will they send u a new one?

No mention of a new one :( I just have to try my other if this one keeps bothering me. If I knew there was gonna be constant discomfort I would have obviously not paid out for it

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I meant that on @logindetails's chart that he posted, there were some times with no figures. @logindetails, I assume this is where the sensor died?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apologies Robert, im a little lost. export data from the app? Do you mean plugging the libre into your pc and downloading the data?
When I see app.... I usually think phone app..lol
Sorry, yes plugin your reader and export data from the File menu

I'm Mac but sure it's the same on PC

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 14.56.35.png

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Phoenix,

The Tripods look great fun and df appeal to my apocalypse fantasies, but the Triffids were self-inflicted (like us plugging into the sensors). There are beautiful meteor showers one night and everyone not ill watches them - and in the morning wakes up blind. So the Triffids - venomous man-eating plants - take over, except for our hero who'd been in hospital with his eyes bandaged.

I'll have a look at the Tripods! they sound a bit like The War of the Worlds.

You should try the Triffids. It's a great book.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For what it's worth, finger prick test on Libre gave 7.1, same drop of blood shared on Neo gave 7.2.

Fine, that's all the other meters in the bin. Anyway, the variance across the meters just alters my novorapid by 0.5u -almost a rounding error - which is no big deal in the scheme of things.

Now, a couple of days for the sensor to settle in and then I shall see how the sensor correlates to blood tests. I have great hopes.

Not convinced I like being electronically tagged though. My dogs don't mind so why should I? I have zero fear of needles luckily but I now know that I hate being tagged - can't feel it but 'know' it is monitoring me. Worth it if the benefits are there though.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not every diabetic knows when they are going hypo or hyper. Many, like myself, have lost hypo awareness.
Having seen the random variations a lot of people are experiencing on the Libre, I won't be rushing out to buy it soon. If it gave me a normal reading when I was actually hypo, I'd be out for the count without knowing anything was wrong. Other diabetics are the same, and for that reason should NOT "stop comparing and relax"; it could potentially cost them their lives whilst Abbott sort it out.

Well there's a whole new can of worms here. Knowing the readings are interstitial and behind blood levels, and knowing its not DVLA approved, then surely if a diabetic has lost awareness, then this product should not be used by them. If it could potentially cost a life because you rely an a blood reading, then my advice would naturally be that the Libre is not for you.

Id prefer my quotes to stay in its context if that is ok. I am only talking about finger pricking using blood and scanning based on interstitial. If you read the articles I posted and links, it should be clear that this is not for everybody.

On the freestyle libre website, it clearly states:
A finger prick test using a blood glucose meter is required during times of rapidly changing glucose levels when interstitial fluid glucose levels may not accurately reflect blood glucose levels, or if hypoglycemia or impending hypoglycemia is reported but the symptoms do not match the system readings.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Are the gaps in the figures mistakes? I assume the gap on Thursday morning is when the sensor died? There aren't any figures around 3/4am last night - is that a malfunction too? Sorry: I just ask because I thought the sensor would document our levels all the time, every 15 mins.
@LucySW Yes the gap on Thursday morning is when the sensor died.

CjNwuDC.png

The gaps you see above are when the sensor failed to gather any data. My second sensor is definitely kaput the only reading it will give now is 'LO' or I get a message saying no data try again in 10 minutes. I'm waiting to hear back from Abbott.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hooked

Well there's a whole new can of worms here. Knowing the readings are interstitial and behind blood levels, and knowing its not DVLA approved, then surely if a diabetic has lost awareness, then this product should not be used by them. If it could potentially cost a life because you rely an a blood reading, then my advice would naturally be that the Libre is not for you.

Id prefer my quotes to stay in its context if that is ok. I am only talking about finger pricking using blood and scanning based on interstitial. If you read the articles I posted and links, it should be clear that this is not for everybody.

On the freestyle libre website, it clearly states:
A finger prick test using a blood glucose meter is required during times of rapidly changing glucose levels when interstitial fluid glucose levels may not accurately reflect blood glucose levels, or if hypoglycemia or impending hypoglycemia is reported but the symptoms do not match the system readings.

I don't drive, DVLA approval is neither here nor there for me.
I don't see anywhere on the Abbott website that mentions the Libre is not suitable for diabetics who have lost hypo awareness. It's the randomness of inaccurate readings that is the concern; if you got a RELIABLE reading in the low 5s or 4s with a down trend arrow, it would be common sense for someone with lack of hypo awareness to do finger prick tests, but since a lot of people are finding the readings are unreliable...

I've read that quote a few times before on the Abbott site, it makes good sense. But again, it's not the issue I'm raising. And yes, I have been following all posts and all links with interest on these threads as I had previously been quite keen to buy one of these. But so far they have proved themselves not to be relied upon. Many diabetics considering buying one of these are not on here, and are not reading all the links etc people are posting. All we can do is hope those finding inaccuracies are reporting them to Abbott and hold off to see if Abbott respond to this to come up with a more reliable Libre that offers reliable results.

In the meanwhile, I'd still NOT be urging people to stop comparing and relax. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, a couple of things:

1. This does record data continuously every 15 minutes. To view it, you need to download and install the software. You then use the option to export the data into a .csv file. You then open that - it is a text file, but it is better manipulated in Excel. You get the full pattern of what your BG has been doing over the period that the .csv file covers. This is the whole point of the system!
2. You get gaps in data if you don't scan at least once in 8 hours. The scanning seems to cause the previous set of data to save or be committed to memory in some way. Until you scan, I think it is transient data.
3. I think (but I'm not sure) you might get gaps in data while it is attached to the PC. I think that's what happened to me yesterday evening. I'll try again tonight and let you know.
4. I think you need to be careful to unplug the device carefully from the PC - it is a USB device and depending on what OS you're using it needs to be quiesced by choosing the 'remove device safely' in your OS.

So that was more than a couple LOL.

Smidge

Reactions: 5 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I also rang Abbotts earlier to discuss that mine tracks about 1.2 to 1.5 out from the Mobile. I just wanted them o tell me if that's what they would expect. Anyway, the upshot is that they are sending me a new sensor (I actually don't think there's anything wrong with this one but I wasn't going to refuse!) and a pack of 10 BG test strips so that I can test against the correct meter.

@supp - I would take that sensor off and put the other one on. If you react to it, return the system as it isn't suitable for you. If you don't react to it and it's not painful, ring Abbotts back and request that they replace the sensor.

Smidge

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, a couple of things:

1. This does record data continuously every 15 minutes. To view it, you need to download and install the software. You then use the option to export the data into a .csv file. You then open that - it is a text file, but it is better manipulated in Excel. You get the full pattern of what your BG has been doing over the period that the .csv file covers. This is the whole point of the system!
2. You get gaps in data if you don't scan at least once in 8 hours. The scanning seems to cause the previous set of data to save or be committed to memory in some way. Until you scan, I think it is transient data.
3. I think (but I'm not sure) you might get gaps in data while it is attached to the PC. I think that's what happened to me yesterday evening. I'll try again tonight and let you know.
4. I think you need to be careful to unplug the device carefully from the PC - it is a USB device and depending on what OS you're using it needs to be quiesced by choosing the 'remove device safely' in your OS.

So that was more than a couple LOL.

Smidge
@smidge - I believe the 8 hours of data are stored on the sensor, so as long as you scan at least once during 8 hours, you should get all the previous 8 hours data transferred to the reader

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Why prick when you can scan?"

Umm because it's more accurate and not so random. Lol.

To be fair I've deffo seen more negatives than rave reviews. I really hope they sort it because this could be so great!