Online records for Patients

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Just an update for accessing your online records in the future:

You can only see these, or book appointments if your GP's are signed up to the specific DES/QOF Contracts in England. I'm not sure how Wales and Scotland stand on this....you must see your GP receptionist to inform them that you would like to register as an online Patient. They should give you a piece of paper with your specific details on to register at home...

Info below:

Patient online access to their medical record will be widened. The 2014-15 contract required practices to provide by March 2015 online access to summary information i.e. medications, allergies, adverse reactions and any other items of data agreed between the patient and practice. They will also be required to offer online access to more detailed information, where requested by a patient, i.e. information held in coded form. GPs have the option and tools to withhold coded information and /or free text within the record where they judge it to be in the patient's interests or where there is reference to a third party.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It will be great for Patients in England, we have the limited access now to our health records online with our Practice, so I will be first in the queue asking for more access, and to see if the GP's will give it to me!!

Can you in Scotland view your whole records?

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Sweepstake for how quickly it all falls over on launch day?

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sweepstake for how quickly it all falls over on launch day?

Oooh you pessimist!! Actually, it is amazingly simple as it is literally a button to be pressed by the practice manager to get limited access, and the gp to basically to press another button for more access..and actually the systems in the majority of English practices have been around for a long time just waiting... So nothing like Abbott!!

desidiabulum

This one might need watching. My GP surgery notes that 'Before accessing SCR, permission would be sought from the patient whose notes are being accessed, except in emergency situations, when a patient is not in a position to give their consent (i.e. they are unconscious).
Despite this assurance of security of access, there continues to be concern about the potential for unauthorised access to the records.
There are also concerns about clinical information “getting lost”, either because it is attributed to the “wrong” patient; or no prioritisation of information is being undertaken, so that a trivial entry receives the same apparent weight of a life threatening condition.
To date there has been very limited independent evaluation of SCR, and no assessment of its impact, positive or negative. However, a full evaluation has been commissioned, and the report should be available over the next few months. The BMA has urged the government not to further roll out the programme of SCR until this report is published, but this has been ignored'
Note also Medical Reseach and Pharmaceutical companies have been granted access to online surgery Medical records.

I am choosing to withhold consent for the moment, until some of these issues are clarified. But that's just me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thats really interesting especially about companies having access...

In England we are basically subscribed in to giving out data info at GP's unless Patient's opt out... I stayed in to give data, as I also donate my blood to research on an annual basis as well.. I just hope that if medical companies do have access to my records that they may use them to benefit others... Ever the optimist!!!

With England's system, if I was to have an accident or ill health say, outside my GP miles I know that my hubby could log in and tell any hospital in the world of my allergies and prescriptions for drugs etc...i know technically this is my data, but if I have nothing to hide then I don't give two hoots about my hubby accessing it. Hospitals acroos the country don't have intercommunications. My health records never followed me from living in Wales for 4 years so I hope that from my point of view that anybody that needs to at any point providing my hubby (survives my say, accident!!-lol) can log in and make sure that my treatment is correct according to the extra info from my gp.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out...