Quit tobacco three weeks ago and doing fine but

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So after smoking since my early teens and using the Swedish "snus" which is banned in the rest of the EU because it is so highly addictive I quit both on October 5th and I must say that although I have been tired I haven't had any problems to speak of. Apart from terrible carb cravings! And I mean terrible.

What amazes me is that I can eat more carbs and still be fairly normal bg-wise.

I also am thirsty or maybe it is just a dry mouth. Anyway, I have to get up at least once every night and no, my BG is OK despite the higher carb intake.

I have now started to cut the nicotine patches in half as I am tired of them.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.

The big step was to stop. Now that I am past that step I can't really understand the big fuss about putting something very addictive indeed to your mouth and inhale deeply and repeatedly. It does seem very stupid, doesn't it? As it very toxic indeed?

I never really thought about the amount of money that went out as I was an addict. Now I never ever want to help line the pockets of the tobacco company owners any more, they thrive on our dependency while we only loose.

So not a looser any more.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You're doing really well, I never thought I would quit, ever, but I just stopped nearly 5 years ago and it's one of the best things I have ever done :)

I cant stand the smell of smoke now and makes me heave :arghh: I hate to think how much a packet of cigarettes are now :eek:

Well done.

Reactions: 3 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're doing really well, I never thought I would quit, ever, but I just stopped nearly 5 years ago and it's one of the best things I have ever done :)

I cant stand the smell of smoke now and makes me heave :arghh: I hate to think how much a packet of cigarettes are now :eek:

Well done.
I love to think about what a packet of cigarettes are now as I don't have to buy them any more! Pure joy every day.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Imagine that every day the damage done is dwindling. But don't drop your guard, especially in times of stress and other occasions associated with a "relaxing" cig.
I gave up 34 years ago with a book in which one chapter was entitled "the benefits of smoking." The page was blank.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. Imagine that every day the damage done is dwindling. But don't drop your guard, especially in times of stress and other occasions associated with a "relaxing" cig.
I gave up 34 years ago with a book in which one chapter was entitled "the benefits of smoking." The page was blank.
I may have read it.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I stopped 1st may 2001, I had tablets that made me stop smoking and I haven't fancied one since! The wife still smokes, so another reason to watch the footie in the back room!
FYI embassy are around £10 per packet !!!!!!!!!!!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped 1st may 2001, I had tablets that made me stop smoking and I haven't fancied one since! The wife still smokes, so another reason to watch the footie in the back room!
FYI embassy are around £10 per packet !!!!!!!!!!!
10? Good lord, must very large packs!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well done @Totto!
No they are not king size!
Always be doing something occupying your hands and mind!
If you do more exercise even if it's only housework, (not strenuous, of course) just to help you through the first couple of weeks. That's what helped me.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @Totto!
No they are not king size!
Always be doing something occupying your hands and mind!
If you do more exercise even if it's only housework, (not strenuous, of course) just to help you through the first couple of weeks. That's what helped me.
Why not strenuous? I do that all the time. For the moment I am chopping up a 5 cubic meter pile of fire wood for the kitchen range. No, not this moment but have been at it all week and will continue tomorrow.

And then there is the rest of the farm work. Hubby has a sore muscle so I do most of the work now, except keeping books. There are limits.

As to house work I try to avoid it but somehow it seems to land in my knee again and again. Hate it.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When you quit, how long time did it take to get back to normal?

I eat sooo much atm, not normal at all, usually I just eat until I'm full and then stop. Now I seem to stuff myself with everything that happens to be in the house.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's why you need to stay busy, didn't take too long! A few days and I was fine.