green smoothies

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a big bag of spinach and fancy using it to make green smoothies. I am not sure what to put in apart from spinach (and peanut butter as I love peanut butter!). Does anyone have any good recipes?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good question,with a good answer, any fruit or veg, just experiment with your meter for control.
I know Bananas are a bit doggy for us yet they do add sweetness which is far better than neat sugar.
What the hell, one banana, 2 tablespoons peanut butter.1/4 teaspoon cinnamon then one cup of almond or haze nut milk + your 1/2 bag of your spinach.
enjoy. Please don't sue me.:)

Reactions: 4 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good question,with a good answer, any fruit or veg, just experiment with your meter for control.
I know Bananas are a bit doggy for us yet they do add sweetness which is far better than neat sugar.
What the hell, one banana, 2 tablespoons peanut butter.1/4 teaspoon cinnamon then one cup of almond or haze nut milk + your 1/2 bag of your spinach.
enjoy. Please don't sue me.:)

sounds lovely:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi!

I was going to suggest popping a banana in with your peanut butter too - but @izzzy beat me to it. :happy:

The general rule with a green smoothie (non spiking for type 2s) is to use 60% veg, 40% fruit, by volume.
If you pick mild tasting veg like carrots, courgette, mild aubergine, it will work.
Avoid the stronger tasting ones.

A green smoothie isn't a green smoothie without something leafy green ;) So use spinach, kale, lettuce, spring greens or similar as the basis.

If you keep to that, then you can probably use smallish portions of tropical fruits like pineapple, banana, mango or oranges. It's the only way I get to taste them nowadays! Apple works well (adds sweetness). And if you want to use berries, it will be lower carb than with those tropical fruit...

Ok, I will stop now.
Green smoothies are a passion of mine, and I can witter for hours, if I don't stop myself! :D

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some natural yogurt would go nice with spinach in a smoothie :)

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thank you! hubby is going shopping this evening so will ask him to get me some almond milk and have a go tomorrow - can't wait!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my first green smoothie. I put in one banana, 2 tablespoons peanut butter. one cup of greek yoghurt (hubby said he couldn't find the almond milk!), 1/2 bag of spinach and some cucumber. This made two glasses - I have had one for breakfast and will have the other tomorrow. I just have to convince my body that this is enough for breakfast!

My fasting bg level was 5.7, will test at one and two hours and see what effect it has had.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had my first green smoothie. I put in one banana, 2 tablespoons peanut butter. one cup of greek yoghurt (hubby said he couldn't find the almond milk!), 1/2 bag of spinach and some cucumber. This made two glasses - I have had one for breakfast and will have the other tomorrow. I just have to convince my body that this is enough for breakfast!

My fasting bg level was 5.7, will test at one and two hours and see what effect it has had.

1 hour bg 4.4:confused:

Reactions: 4 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

2 hour bg - 5.6

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................... that does sound nice:)

Pan fried spinach with some crushed garlic cloves added is delicious and nutritious too.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi,
How were your two mornings on green smoothie? How long did they last, and were the BG readings consistent?

I think those yog and peanut butter quantities might have left me peckish before lunch... But I may have a bigger appetite than you! ;)

My standard green smoothie is
Half bag spinach
1 huge courgette
Maybe some cucumber
1/3 punnet frozen berries
1/3 punnett frozen pineapple
Water
About 8 macadamia nuts or half an avocado.
Pinch do spiralina, MSM and / or powdered wheatgrass

Yum.

Makes about 1.5 litres. I have it in 3 drinks; breakfast, elevenses and as a dessert at lunch, with some cheese or cold meat.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Mine is kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, 1/2 avocado, ginger, goji berries, walnuts, berries, MCT oil an water. Wizzed up in my Nutriblend.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
How were your two mornings on green smoothie? How long did they last, and were the BG readings consistent?

I think those yog and peanut butter quantities might have left me peckish before lunch... But I may have a bigger appetite than you! ;)

My standard green smoothie is
Half bag spinach
1 huge courgette
Maybe some cucumber
1/3 punnet frozen berries
1/3 punnett frozen pineapple
Water
About 8 macadamia nuts or half an avocado.
Pinch do spiralina, MSM and / or powdered wheatgrass

Yum.

Makes about 1.5 litres. I have it in 3 drinks; breakfast, elevenses and as a dessert at lunch, with some cheese or cold meat.

The smoothies were good but I think the quantities need upping a bit, especially after seeing what everyone else puts in their's! They were OK for a week end when I had a late breakfast and didn't have to go anywhere before lunch.

Yesterday I felt hungry before an hour but when I tested my bg it was 4.4. This isn't low but it had started off at 5.7 so could be why I was feeling a bit shaky. After 2 hours my bg was 5.6. I am not sure why my bg dropped at 1 hour then went up.

Will definately do again...

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Try this green smoothies; (from Dr Colin Lowe) 1apple
1 banana, 1 carrot, 1 celery stick, 1 sweet potato, 1 lemon including skin, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 1 cup of fresh water. Makes 3 days supply. Check out his blog on forum here quite interesting results !