FODMap diet

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I have been speaking to my doctor about a flair-up in my IBS and he has suggested that I try the FODMAP diet and I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it? I am slightly concerned at the amount of food it expects you to eliminate and I worry that it might affect my Blood sugar control? I am very much prone to Hypo's and even if I reduce my long acting insulin and take no bolus at meal times I will still have a hypo without carbs in that meal.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience of using this diet and how restrictive they found it?

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
Thank-you for replying.
I'm just not convinced as looking at the food that is okay to eat I know that most of the veg and fruit that is named as okay cause flair-ups (I would be left with cucumbers and bananas). I already eat very little lactose due to a previous suggestion and all seeds and nuts are out. I think I will have a word/email to my dietician and ask her opinion.

I think the doctor might have been trying to rush me out the door as he wouldn't listen when I explained that the prescription he was giving me for my IBS is something I have already tried and it hasn't worked.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have ulcerative colitis/crohns and I swear by the FODMAP diet it really helps me to control my symptoms alongside low doses of mesalizine. I don't follow the lactose part but all other aspects I do. I can tolerate a small amount of gluten but not a lot. Give it a go and see how it works for you- if you want any advice then just ask :) good luck! X

Reactions: 2 people