Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn't have thought there'd be any challenge to that. It's wonderful news your ulcer is improving!!
It's ironic that nothing was improving it all that time pre-diagnosis, maybe I was diabetic long before!

Reactions: 3 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ahh.....alliebee, thank you! I came here 18 weeks ago confused, scared and un-informed, learnt so much, had support from lovely folk and know for certain I wouldn't have got to this point without being here! nothing is changing, I will still be on here daily as I am still continuing my journey of course and being on here is part of it all. Still have weight to drop, still going to do lchf, couldn't be without you all either!!

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nobody ever queried that you know!

I think that diagnosis is a point on a line - but your (and my) bodies don't know about points and numbers. They just know that too much glucose in the blood is too much, and react accordingly.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
5.9 fasting 8.3 one hour after breakfast and 8.8 2 hours after

Breakfast was avocado, one lean mince pattie with LF cheese and 2 spoons of LF yogurt with a few blueberries. Didn't drink any water between getting up and just now. Could that have something to do with it?

By the way, what SHOULD be my daily carb count? Can anyone advise??

Tks Mike

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my opinion your carb count should satisfy all of these:

• It should allow you to enjoy your food
  • It should be a sustainable diet.
  • It should not result in blood glucose spikes that take you over your target (I use Jenny Ruhl's blood glucose targets, as found on bloodsugar101.com - see link in my sig)
  • It should not cause weight gain, bloating, indigestion or sleepiness
  • It is best spread through the day, at meals, rather than saved up and splurged on a single meal

But our ideal carb count is unique to each of us. There really isn't a one size fits all.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
In my opinion your carb count should satisfy all of these:

• It should allow you to enjoy your food
  • It should be a sustainable diet.
  • It should not result in blood glucose spikes that take you over your target (I use Jenny Ruhl's blood glucose targets, as found on bloodsugar101.com - see link in my sig)
  • It should not cause weight gain, bloating, indigestion or sleepiness
  • It is best spread through the day, at meals, rather than saved up and splurged on a single meal

But our ideal carb count is unique to each of us. There really isn't a one size fits all.

Thanks Brunneria :) I've read it shouldn't exceed 45 to 60 carbs per meal and if that's my target, then I need to do it.

I've given up the Guinness altogether and just stick with about four glasses of wine just prior to and post dinner. I certainly feel a LOT better than I did yesterday but that spike this morning concerns me.

Mike

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brunneria :) I've read it shouldn't exceed 45 to 60 carbs per meal and if that's my target, then I need to do it.

I've given up the Guinness altogether and just stick with about four glasses of wine just prior to and post dinner. I certainly feel a LOT better than I did yesterday but that spike this morning concerns me.

Mike

I've read in a few places that low carbing starts at below 150g a day.
But that doesn't work for everyone.

I've ended up going lower and lower. And feeling better and better. But I have a lot of built in insulin resistance, so I'm not comparable with most. Am currently on 20gish a day. Less usually. Feel better than I have for years, but I don't think its sustainable in the longer term. I'd be very happy on 40-60g/day.

See what I mean when I say we are all different? :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I've read in a few places that low carbing starts at below 150g a day.
But that doesn't work for everyone.

I've ended up going lower and lower. And feeling better and better. But I have a lot of built in insulin resistance, so I'm not comparable with most. Am currently on 20gish a day. Less usually. Feel better than I have for years, but I don't think its sustainable in the longer term. I'd be very happy on 40-60g/day.

See what I mean when I say we are all different? :)

I sure do :)

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning.......and........RESULTS ARE IN!! Shall I post here???? I'm actually so very shocked, impressed and proud and had a few tears !! Ok.....Well.....38 !!!!!;) I really am amazed at myself!! Trying to get ready for work here while wanting to dance around the room!!

Well done! I go for mine in about 3 weeks. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been gone all week on a business trip. :) fasting BS results were between 5.4 and 5.8. Who says you can't eat well on the road. :) Have a reading right now of 4.9. :) Been catching up on all the messages on here!

Friday night ritual, movie night and waiting on my chicken wings ( hot and spicy). Treated myself to a coke zero. Glad to be home.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5,0 this morning.

Felt better yesterday afternoon and had a very good session at the gym, thirty five minute 2,5 mile brisk walk followed by an hour's strength work at the weight machines. I am determined that when I turn 50 next year I will be in the best shape of my life.

Evening counts of 4,4 and 5,2 before and after a home made dinner of fillet stake with stir fried vegetables, lifted my mood even higher.

Got to get ready for tennis now, plus the bike ride to and from the tennis club.

Got a wedding to go to later on today. Wife's cousin getting married. Would rather stay home and watch the football but little chance of the wife letting me do that.

Have a great weekend everybody.

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You too my friend :) ... as well as the other fabulous people on this board !!!!!!!!!!!

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 This morning. A little higher than what I really want for fasting. Went to bed on 6.5, need to visit portion control.

Status
Not open for further replies.