Toe nail fungal infection

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Does anyone know how is the condition for people with diabetes and pre-diabetes?

Also, how long does it take to treat and is removal of the toe nail a suitable option if nothing else (including laser treatment and ointments) are working?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The treatment will be the same for everyone regardless of diabetes, although the healing time may take longer. Your Dr or Podiatrist will advise on the best treatment method, I've had both of my big toenails removed (due to them ingrowing) but unsure if they do this for fungal infections, but the procedure is very quick (although a little uncomfortable when they anaesthetise the toe) and it takes around 6 weeks for the toe to recover, whereby you need to keep a dressing on to keep the wound clean.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have high sugar levels, then fungal infections have more to feed on, they love sugar. Never had a fungal toenail so don't know the procedure. You see adverts for something you paint on the nails.

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I used a product called curanail.
You have to paint it on for at least a year until the fungal area has grown out completely, but it worked for me

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It didn't cost me anything! My GP prescribed it

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Vinegar and Vicks - how does that work? Do you mix them together?

fruim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors who don't listen or understand how you feel mentally
For the relief of ingrowing toenail pain, while waiting many weeks to see a podiatrist , I rub on with a cotton bud CLOVE OIL which gives me instant pain relief. No harm from trying and it did work with me!!

Reactions: 3 people

janetrm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Try dripping Tea Tree oil over the toenail several times a day, making sure it goes down the inside of the nail. It should clear up very quickly.

Reactions: 3 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please be very careful of any meds prescribed from the Dr to treat this with .. some years ago a friend at work was given something from the Dr .. cannot remember what it was now.. but it caused his kidneys to fail very quickly and within days he was in ICU, very slowly recovered but not the same as he was before ... I would advise Vinegar or tea tree oil .. but if you get from the Dr .. PLEASE read the side effects before using it.

eleni v

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Our prime minister, what a ****!!
Does anyone know how is the condition for people with diabetes and pre-diabetes?

Also, how long does it take to treat and is removal of the toe nail a suitable option if nothing else (including laser treatment and ointments) are working?

Tea tree oil clears the infection. It takes a few months of dedicated daily application to the nail area for the infected nail to come loose with a new nail below. The nail is not as strong at first but will strengthen with time. I found Tea Tree Oil more effective than over the counter treatments from the chemist and cheaper too.

Reactions: 5 people