Dare I take metformin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably the doc wouldn't prescribe something that could have fatal results but then again there is the eat well plate - lol! :rolleyes:
My d b n say she is nothing to do with the heart team and its up to me. As you should know by now Never trust a doctor who never sees you or knows nothing about you. And yes the results can be fatal so we have to look out ourselves for any miss prescribing of meds.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My d b n say she is nothing to do with the heart team and its up to me. As you should know by now Never trust a doctor who never sees you or knows nothing about you. And yes the results can be fatal so we have to look out ourselves for any miss prescribing of meds.
What a bunch of numpties. Nothing like denied responsibility or lack of communication!

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
My Doc is a firm believer that too many calories make you obese. I can't say she doesn't know enough, because I know they have to comply with Government guidelines; which are based on conventional 'non-wisdom'. What chance do we stand if our healers are misinformed, or guided along false routes? It's bewildering at the moment.

regards and my thanks
Phub (John)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
tiny seves are a fail waiting to happen, you get hungry..get hungry for long enough, you will breakdown and go back to old eating patterns

as you found out, you need to find a diet that works and you can eat forever. you can go low carb and low fat for a while, but it's unsustainable, you may need to make a decision about fat down the road...IMO carbs not fat.. messes your vascular system and makes you fat

American diabetic association ( http://www.professional.diabetes.org/)
http://www.professional.diabetes.org/admin/UserFiles/0 - Sean/dc132042 FINAL.pdf
Evidence is inconclusive for an ideal amount of total fat intake for people with diabetes;
therefore, goals should be individualized; fat quality appears to be far more important
than quantity.
In people with type 2 diabetes, a Mediterranean-style, MUFA-rich eating pattern [LCHF type] may benefit glycemic control and CVD risk factors and can therefore be recommended as an effective
alternative to a lower-fat, higher-carbohydrate eating pattern.

paleo can be too high in protein for a diabetic, but you can look up a LC paleo, which is a LCHF type
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/08/18/gluten-free-low-carb-paleo-diet.aspx

I do @Scandichic dietDr LCHF

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My Doc is a firm believer that too many calories make you obese. I can't say she doesn't know enough, because I know they have to comply with Government guidelines; which are based on conventional 'non-wisdom'. What chance do we stand if our healers are misinformed, or guided along false routes? It's bewildering at the moment.

regards and my thanks
Phub (John)
That would be the carb turning into sugar causing higher bs, insulin resistance and sugar stored as fat round th major organs. ;)
I love the way I eat now and wouldn't go back. Apart from for the occasional bit of cake or odd slice of crusty warm bread but then again, to quote Kate Moss " nothing tastes as good as thin feels!" I am not thin yet but I'm getting there! I am a work in progress!
What's happening with the meter? You won't regret it!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

GerryOB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mmol. Sorry should have said. If you go onto the website of this forum then it'll tell you about bs and the norms. Ideally aim for normal (4-5.9) is the goal but in the beginning it will be higher but it will come down if you get good control. My fasting bs is between 6.1-7 and there's nothing I can do about this. By mid morning it's in the 5s and by the evening after food it's about 5-6. I eat lchf with the occasional blip where I have decided to eat something not good for me. This is controlled and is a one off. For the first 3 months I had one glass of wine once. Preserve with the ordering of the meter. You need the discount code if you buy the 5 x 5 pots of strips. Have attached piccie.
View attachment 7649

Thank you for this code, I've just been and ordered one of these monitors and 5 packs of strips to go with it. Saved nearly £9 with this code :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good one from my Dr was .. Gosh .... That's a bad scar on your chest, how did that happen ....He looked surprised when I said it was my heart bypass scar .. He had no idear I have got heart problems. I was called in to be asked why I am taking heart meds... I was then transferred to a heart failure nurse .. Best thing they ever did.
On another occasiona diffrent Dr asked what happened to my leg as it has a long scar on it ... When I said heart bypass op .. Again he had no idear I had a heart problem.
So forgive me if I don't blindly trust their judgments or meds prescribed. I must add NOT all Drs are like this .. I have just had a run of strange ones.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Scandichic, how can you like that, it's going to take a month for the poor guy to go through it :)

in for a penny, in for a pound...a couple more links

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm because carbs don’t give up easy.

testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
food count
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
He's going to be fine! Aren't you John!
I haven't told him about Jamrox exercise thread;) but that's coming next!
Actually @Jamrox what's the thread?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for this code, I've just been and ordered one of these monitors and 5 packs of strips to go with it. Saved nearly £9 with this code :)
youre welcome! It'll probably be there by Monday or Tuesday by the latest! Happy testing!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A good one from my Dr was .. Gosh .... That's a bad scar on your chest, how did that happen ....He looked surprised when I said it was my heart bypass scar .. He had no idear I have got heart problems. I was called in to be asked why I am taking heart meds... I was then transferred to a heart failure nurse .. Best thing they ever did.
On another occasiona diffrent Dr asked what happened to my leg as it has a long scar on it ... When I said heart bypass op .. Again he had no idear I had a heart problem.
So forgive me if I don't blindly trust their judgments or meds prescribed. I must add NOT all Drs are like this .. I have just had a run of strange ones.
one of the ones at my docs surgery sent away a child who was dying and told the mother that it was a virus and to take calpol despite her expressing concerns about t1 as all her immediate family were t1. She took him up to A&E where his bs on admittal was 90! He was straight into intensive care as he was almost in a diabetic coma. They contacted the doc to issue a stern word as if she'd left it one more day they told her he would certainly have been dead! Frightening!

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
Exercise for me is out Scandichic.

I have replacement knees, which are fine, but they don't take kindly to heavy exercise. I like walking which is good. There's a great park near me. A two mile bus ride on my free-pass, and I can walk a couple of miles through the park, (lovely hilly, off-road walks) and pick up another bus in the Royal Town, to get home. I also have my gardening and my woodworking. It all takes energy, so the gym can whistle.

I've just finished an hour and a half in the yard cleaning out a space for a new shed which arrives on Monday. So that's demolished a few calories; if indeed calorie theories are correct!

I have ordered my meter thanks, using the right code... Now do I lick the strips, :***:, or do I dip them in sweat? :D

Alla best folks.
My thanks

John

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Phub, If your brave enough to try the LCHF diet then you can forget about calorie counting ... I only wander around the woods with my dogs as heavy exercise is out for me. I have lost 4 stone in 10 months with this new eating plan.. it works and unlike when I counted calories when I was hungery all the time .. on this eating plan I lose weight ..feel great and don't feel hungry .. ? Have fun with your new meter when it arrives .. I also have a code free meter, they are cheeper so can test often when trying out new foods

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Phub, If your brave enough to try the LCHF diet then you can forget about calorie counting ... I only wander around the woods with my dogs as heavy exercise is out for me. I have lost 4 stone in 10 months with this new eating plan.. it works and unlike when I counted calories when I was hungery all the time .. on this eating plan I lose weight ..feel great and don't feel hungry .. ? Have fun with your new meter when it arrives .. I also have a code free meter, they are cheeper so can test often when trying out new foods
I appreciate that this may have been your own personal experience with LCHF but I believe that if weight loss is a goal then calorie counting is still necessary. Many have posted that they put on weight when trying LCHF because they ignored the need to count calories as well as carbs. With fats being especially high in calories extra caution is required.
My understanding is that in order to lose weight there must be a calorific deficit of calories taken in by food consumption and expanded to maintain bodily function and fuel physical exercise. The LCHF part relates to the relative proportion of the calorific daily allowance one gets from each macronutrient source: fats, carbs and proteins. LCHF supporters maintain that the majority should come from fats and less from carbs and proteins. The claimed advantage of a high fat low carb diet is that one feels full even on the reduced calories one needs to stick to in order to lose weight.

Pavlos

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if your a meat eater then yes I have to aggree, but I am a veggie and have not counted calls . I do sometims forget that a lot of this world eats meat ! Sorry

Also I only replaced my low fat foods with the high fat versions .. Cut carbs and ate to my meter .. Have in the past counted calories and it was miserable .. I could not stick to it .. And would not expect others to

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I appreciate that this may have been your own personal experience with LCHF but I believe that if weight loss is a goal then calorie counting is still necessary. Many have posted that they put on weight when trying LCHF because they ignored the need to count calories as well as carbs. With fats being especially high in calories extra caution is required.
My understanding is that in order to lose weight there must be a calorific deficit of calories taken in by food consumption and expanded to maintain bodily function and fuel physical exercise. The LCHF part relates to the relative proportion of the calorific daily allowance one gets from each macronutrient source: fats, carbs and proteins. LCHF supporters maintain that the majority should come from fats and less from carbs and proteins. The claimed advantage of a high fat low carb diet is that one feels full even on the reduced calories one needs to stick to in order to lose weight.

Pavlos
I'd go a few have posted weight gain, most have posted weight loss, but you can gain weight on LCHF, but doubtful for most people because they aren't use to eating the fats in their diet, so it becomes a normal fat low carb diet.

it is more common that people have to be told to eat more fat, because of low fat side effects,

to lose weight on LCHF ketogenic...170g of fat, 40g carb and 40-70g protein [~1900 cal]
that is more than twice that fat intake they had on a standard 20-25% low fat diet

upload_2014-10-26_2-56-40.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Pavlos
Actually I don't agree! I don't calorie count either. If you have a chicken breast or a steak and have sauce or butter with loads of greens or a plate of chilli then it's all good. My brekkie is 1 sausage and 2 eggs. I started off with 2 sausages but find I only want one now. Lunch is just nibbles (cheese, cocktail sausages, cherry tomatoes, cucumber or yoghurt and berries) and I have never felt hungry. Not once.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually I don't agree! I don't calorie count either. If you have a chicken breast or a steak and have sauce or butter with loads of greens or a plate of chilli then it's all good. My brekkie is 1 sausage and 2 eggs. I started off with 2 sausages but find I only want one now. Lunch is just nibbles (cheese, cocktail sausages, cherry tomatoes, cucumber or yoghurt and berries) and I have never felt hungry. Not once.
Scandie

This may be your experience with LCHF or even the experience of the majority but that still does not make it a rule that will necessarily apply to all.

I have seen a number of people post disappointed after putting on weight when first trying LCHF and the reason is that they have been misguided into believing that LCHF is a magic diet that will allow them to eat as much as they like and still lose weight.

It would be a shame if people were put off LCHF through their own personal experience not leaving up to the extravagant claims made by others.

Pavlos

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it's also my experience and a lot of others here who don't count to lose weight, you really have the wrong end of the stick
cutting grain grain product, potato and starch veg, fruit and sugary stuff puts a big hole in calorie intake

Status
Not open for further replies.