6.5 mmol/L

kingshussar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Despise reality TV, cheap rubbish, X factor= pins in eyes!! Grey skies-cold-rain.
Victor is alive and well inside my head.
Hi and welcome,

I think @zand may have been referring to xylitol or erythritol (sugar substitutes), which are processed very differently from things like aspartame :yuck:.

I like both of them, but have recently stopped using xylitol because of its toxicity to dogs.
How was the dog getting hold of it?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How was the dog getting hold of it?

If the dog HAD got hold of it, he'd probably have died - that's how toxic it is.

We've had the dog about 18 months, and in all that time I've been baking and sweetening with xylitol. All it would have taken would be some visitor casually giving him a bit of biscuit, or me dropping something on the floor...

Luckily, we're v strict about begging and treats. He gets treats, but only meaty ones.
The rest of Mr B's family though, seem to think that half the fun of having a dog is treating them to table scraps. They give theirs fig rolls, for goodness sake.

Anyway. Risk removed. Only erythritol in the house, now.

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The results of my recent visit to the GP was that the HbA1c test came in at 6.7mmol/L so I guess I'm now a full member of the club! I have been prescribed 2 x 500mg Metformin per day and have to cut down on carbs and watch the dairy food. Any advice her would be welcome particularly the dairy food - I do use yogurt or should I say used to use yogurt.

Regards

Filmskate
Actually the good news is that you don't need to cut down on the dairy if you eat lchf! See www.dietdoctor.com
You might even be able to lower your metformin (though always in consultation with your doc!)
My brekkie on this diet is bacon or sausage with eggs (fried or poached)
Lunch is nibbles (peanuts, pieces of cheese, olives, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cocktail sausages, salami)
Snack full fat Greek yoghurt mixed with berries or cheese or nuts
Dinner salmon with full fat sauce and loads of green veggies or salad or chicken cooked in cream. The list is endless!
I rarely eat cake though I will have a piece tomorrow and tonight I'm going to have dessert as we are going out for a birthday meal. But generally I have cake once a month. I have a low carb dessert once or twice a week, a few glasses of wine at the weekends and I've lost 3 stone 10 lbs since the end of January.

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Actually the good news is that you don't need to cut down on the dairy if you eat lchf! See www.dietdoctor.com
You might even be able to lower your metformin (though always in consultation with your doc!)
My brekkie on this diet is bacon or sausage with eggs (fried or poached)
Lunch is nibbles (peanuts, pieces of cheese, olives, cherry tomatoes, avocado, cocktail sausages, salami)
Snack full fat Greek yoghurt mixed with berries or cheese or nuts
Dinner salmon with full fat sauce and loads of green veggies or salad or chicken cooked in cream. The list is endless!
I rarely eat cake though I will have a piece tomorrow and tonight I'm going to have dessert as we are going out for a birthday meal. But generally I have cake once a month. I have a low carb dessert once or twice a week, a few glasses of wine at the weekends and I've lost 3 stone 10 lbs since the end of January.

Impressive weight loss - tempting food - thanks for the info. I'll look into LCHF- no portion size, no counting sound right up my street.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impressive weight loss - tempting food - thanks for the info. I'll look into LCHF- no portion size, no counting sound right up my street.
Oddly enough your portion size gets smaller naturally as you require less food to feel full. There is a thread what have you eaten today and my one Scandis recipes if you want some ideas. I couldn't be bothered with weighing and measuring and trying to calculate the calorie content either.

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
can anyone reccommend a good glucose meter - there are so many on offer. Thanks

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for your advice
You can get a discount on the strips if you buy your strips in packs of 5 or 10 from the same website as @Brunneria mentioned.
image.jpg

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just bought a codefree glucose/blood monitor and having lots of fun. How long after a meal is one supposed to do the test and what are considered good results? I'm getting between 5.2 and 6.3mmol/L - any advice would be most welcome.

Regards
Filmskate

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just bought a codefree glucose/blood monitor and having lots of fun. How long after a meal is one supposed to do the test and what are considered good results? I'm getting between 5.2 and 6.3mmol/L - any advice would be most welcome.

Regards
Filmskate
General consensus on here seems to be that you should test one hour and then two hours after eating - this should show you what gives you BS spikes, and how quickly they occur.

NICE guidelines for Type 2 Diabetics are:

Before eating 4 - 7 mmol/l
2 hours after eating <8.5 mmol/l

Further general consensus seems to be that if you can aim for lower numbers (but p'raps not lower than 4 :arghh: :)) things will be even better. I think the US 2 hr post prandial upper reading guideline is 7.8?

For me - it's a work in progress; I hardly ever go above 8.0 (after several months of lowish carbs, metformin and exercise), but still have the occasional glitch, and at the lower end I am currently more sixes than fives and I'd like it to be the other way round :).

Good luck.

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your info - really useful. I've been testing two hours after eating so my figures seem quite encouraging or am I deluding myself?

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ideally yes we should be testing 2 hours after the meal.
You can share the figures here as well if you want and a lot of members can suggest you as well if they think your levels are going higher or what to avoid. As diabetic I aim for anything between 4 and 6 although NICE recommendations are give above by @jay hay-char

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your info - really useful. I've been testing two hours after eating so my figures seem quite encouraging or am I deluding myself?
Doesn't look like you're being delusional to me :) - those figures look pretty good. The really important numbers will be your Hba1c results after a month or three of your new regime because they show an average over a couple of months, rather than a snapshot at one particular moment. I was told that levels of between 48 and 58 mmol/mol (not the same as the unit of measurement for BS above) represent good diabetic control and anything below 48 (or 6.5% in old money) counts as excellent. Go below 42 and some guidelines suggest that you should start worrying about hypoglycaemia: there's no pleasing some people .... :)

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Last night I had wholemeal spaghetti bolognaise - 1hr after my BS was 7.5 and 2hrs after it was 5.7. Would thos figures bee acceptable or is the peak too high?

Regards

Filmskate

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I had wholemeal spaghetti bolognaise - 1hr after my BS was 7.5 and 2hrs after it was 5.7. Would thos figures bee acceptable or is the peak too high?

Regards

Filmskate
Not too bad, I'd have said, particularly the 2 hour figure. The key thing is to know how much your levels have risen from before you ate. The figure often mentioned on here is that you should aim to keep the rise between pre-prandial and 2 hours after your meal to less than 2 mmol/l.

filmskate

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everybody,

Here's a recipe for Oat Bran Bread - very tasty and with a low GL.

Ingredients:
Bicarbonate of soda 1 teaspoon
Oat bran 227 grams (8oz)
Salt 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk 284 ml (or if not available 125ml milk + 125ml yogurt)
wheat bran 2 tablespoons (I ground down some All Bran in a coffee mill)
Instructions:
Mix all dry ingredients then add buttermilk (or yogurt and milk) to make a spongy light mixture
add more milk if too dry.
Lightly oil a small 1lb bread tin - fill with mixture.
Smooth top and put in pre heated oven at 200c for 20-25 mins
Turn out onto a rack. Slice thinly when cool. Delicious!

That's it - simple. Hope you like it.

Filmskate