Prediabetes diagnosis

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Carbs & Cals, available from Amazon. They also do a phone app but I don't use that. I use the "proper" book as opposed to the pocket version. When I first started it was my bible, and I still use it regularly. It has over 1,700 photos of food and drink, shown on plates etc with the weight of the portion, showing carbs, calories, protein, fat and fibre amounts. Lots of folk on here have either the book or the app.

Lucky you off to the States. Have a great time - but be careful because the Americans label their food differently from us. Here in the UK the total carbs does not include fibre. The fibre is shown separately. In America, the fibre is included in the total carbs and shown as "of which fibre" so you need to deduct it. They also seem to have more sugar added to some international packed foods than we do here (same brands, different sugar amounts)

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have Carbs & Cals, available from Amazon. They also do a phone app but I don't use that. I use the "proper" book as opposed to the pocket version. When I first started it was my bible, and I still use it regularly. It has over 1,700 photos of food and drink, shown on plates etc with the weight of the portion, showing carbs, calories, protein, fat and fibre amounts. Lots of folk on here have either the book or the app.

Lucky you off to the States. Have a great time - but be careful because the Americans label their food differently from us. Here in the UK the total carbs does not include fibre. The fibre is shown separately. In America, the fibre is included in the total carbs and shown as "of which fibre" so you need to deduct it. They also seem to have more sugar added to some international packed foods than we do here (same brands, different sugar amounts)

Thanks. For the majority of the time we will be staying with my daughter so I'll have good control over food, seeing as I'll be doing most of the cooking, as usual!

Eating out in the US is another matter. We spend a great deal of time there so, by the time we go, I should have a pretty good idea of what to avoid.What with portion size and fast food, the US must be a diabetic time-bomb. Scary.

Reactions: 2 people

LOLLIPOP19

I have no idea about next test. My doctor didn't seem remotely concerned about diagnosis and only recommended I attend a workshop at the surgery. Have yet to hear when that will be. So, in the meantime, I've taken matters into my own hands.
Hi
My experiences are similar to you, my doctors sent me a letter informing me that I am prediabetic and advised healthy eating and exercise. I have found information on here very helpful. Thanks to everyone. I too have taken matters into my own hands and ordered a codefree to try to work out what and if which foods to limit or avoid.

Reactions: 3 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
My experiences are similar to you, my doctors sent me a letter informing me that I am prediabetic and advised healthy eating and exercise. I have found information on here very helpful. Thanks to everyone. I too have taken matters into my own hands and ordered a codefree to try to work out what and if which foods to limit or avoid.

Apparently, I was at this stage over a year ago and my doctor didn't inform me. A wasted year to put things right as far as I'm concerned.

Thank goodness for this site. I wouldn't have known which way to turn otherwise.

Have been testing for nearly a fortnight now and that has thrown up some interesting results.

Good luck and keep in touch.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you ever invest in a pocket book carb counter? If, so can you recommend one?

We will be travelling to the US soon and I will be out of my 'comfort zone' as far as some food choices are concerned.

Lynn - How long are you going to the States for? If it's a 2, 3, 4 week holiday, I would suggest just being sensible, and limit your "big ticket" carbs - for example; icecream by the half gallon, fries, mac & cheese, massive burger buns (burgers are generally OK. The Americans like high beef burgers) which are in your face anyway.

Bearing in mind where your HbA1c is, again, I urge moderation. Sledge hammer to nut, where gentle, finger-tip pressure might be enough to crack it seems OTT and potentially destructive.

How is your husband reacting to your situation?

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynn - How long are you going to the States for? If it's a 2, 3, 4 week holiday, I would suggest just being sensible, and limit your "big ticket" carbs - for example; icecream by the half gallon, fries, mac & cheese, massive burger buns (burgers are generally OK. The Americans like high beef burgers) which are in your face anyway.

Bearing in mind where your HbA1c is, again, I urge moderation. Sledge hammer to nut, where gentle, finger-tip pressure might be enough to crack it seems OTT and potentially destructive.

How is your husband reacting to your situation?

We will be away for around two weeks. I would have always avoided some items on a menu and opted for steak and salad with a few sweet potato fries or, as you say, one of their delicious burgers or some grilled fish. Nothing to do with this diagnosis - purely personal preference. However, my daughter does make yummy homemade icecream.

Have been a little puzzled by some of my results. The same food on different days giving different readings. So many other influences obviously.

No problem for my husband. Been married for 40 years and supportive as ever. Health concious himself; he runs 7 miles at least three times a week. At 65+ that's not too shaby!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with prediabetes this time last year (it should have been August but they told me my blood test was fine and to come back in 3 months time...). I joined this thread and have had so much help,and siupport. I eat low/moderate carb and moderate fat as I find my bg levels are OK with this. I don't eat pasta, rice, or starchy carbs. I eat a slice of burgen bread occassionally and a couple of small roast potatoes with my sunday dinner. On the rare occasions I have eaten cake my levels have been OKish (in the low 7's). Last Christmas it was all still quite new and I was determined to get my Hba1c down so didn't eat anything I shouldn't. This year I hope to do the same...

I still find bg levels and spikes confusing but more or less know what I can eat and what I can't.

My Hba1c when I was diagnosed was 46, it is now 34 so LC does work (well it has for me!)

I have to say I enjoy this way of eating, don't feel hungry and and don't feel deprived. oh and I have lost 2 stone 1 lb too - something I needed to do before but never managed!

Reactions: 3 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was diagnosed with prediabetes this time last year (it should have been August but they told me my blood test was fine and to come back in 3 months time...). I joined this thread and have had so much help,and siupport. I eat low/moderate carb and moderate fat as I find my bg levels are OK with this. I don't eat pasta, rice, or starchy carbs. I eat a slice of burgen bread occassionally and a couple of small roast potatoes with my sunday dinner. On the rare occasions I have eaten cake my levels have been OKish (in the low 7's). Last Christmas it was all still quite new and I was determined to get my Hba1c down so didn't eat anything I shouldn't. This year I hope to do the same...

I still find bg levels and spikes confusing but more or less know what I can eat and what I can't.

My Hba1c when I was diagnosed was 46, it is now 34 so LC does work (well it has for me!)

I have to say I enjoy this way of eating, don't feel hungry and and don't feel deprived. oh and I have lost 2 stone 1 lb too - something I needed to do before but never managed!

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss. I have been following the LC diet for nearly two weeks and have lost 2.5 lbs. now weighing 9st 2lbs. At 4ft 11ins apparently my optimum weight is around 8st 12 lbs so determined to reach that goal. My main problem is exercising. Just had one knee replacement and knee number two will be next March.

Can I ask how often you test now? Pricking my finger umpteen times a day is wearing a little thin!

Did you try any Christmas pud last year? Not particularly fussed about cakes and pastries, but I love Christmas pudding!

Like you, I'm not finding this way of eating (I won't say dieting) a problem. Quite enjoying it, in fact.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 4ft 11 too and I started off at 9 stone 12. I was so in denial before and never weighed myself. I was still a size 10/12 so never thought I was overweight (denial again!!) I am now 7 stone 11. I won't tell hubby that 8 stone 12 is the optinum weight - he already thinks I am losing too much. I don't look too thin yet. You haven't got much to lose but somethimes that is harder than when you have alot to lose - you will get there though!!

We have a dog so that gets me out everyday and we have a cross trainer which I should use more oftern

I test every so often now just to keep an eye on my bg levels, particularly if I am eating something new. Every so often I do a fasting test but in the early days I tested every meal! although once I started eating LC my results all came out OK. You soon learn what you can and can't eat and what will spike your bg. I was lucky that the GP let me have an Hba1c every 3 months as that told me that I was on the right track. My next one will be in February (after 6 months).

Last Christmas because my Hba1c was due in January I didn't eat anything non LC. I don't really like Christmas pudding, cake or mince pies so it wasn't that hard! I did make low carb cakes, puddings and chocolates so I didn't feel totally deprived.

I have found, as a prediabetic, that I can occassionnaly tolerate a higher amount of carbs. I have found that I can tolerate cakes more than bread.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am 4ft 11 too and I started off at 9 stone 12. I was so in denial before and never weighed myself. I was still a size 10/12 so never thought I was overweight (denial again!!) I am now 7 stone 11. I won't tell hubby that 8 stone 12 is the optinum weight - he already thinks I am losing too much. I don't look too thin yet. You haven't got much to lose but somethimes that is harder than when you have alot to lose - you will get there though!!

We have a dog so that gets me out everyday and we have a cross trainer which I should use more oftern

I test every so often now just to keep an eye on my bg levels, particularly if I am eating something new. Every so often I do a fasting test but in the early days I tested every meal! although once I started eating LC my results all came out OK. You soon learn what you can and can't eat and what will spike your bg. I was lucky that the GP let me have an Hba1c every 3 months as that told me that I was on the right track. My next one will be in February (after 6 months).

Last Christmas because my Hba1c was due in January I didn't eat anything non LC. I don't really like Christmas pudding, cake or mince pies so it wasn't that hard! I did make low carb cakes, puddings and chocolates so I didn't feel totally deprived.

I have found, as a prediabetic, that I can occassionnaly tolerate a higher amount of carbs. I have found that I can tolerate cakes more than bread.

Sounds like I've been given the wrong information about weight! Up until I had children I always weighed around 7st 4lbs so that should tell me something.

Oh well, a new wardrobe of clothes it is!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
8 stone 12 could be the maximum weight. I have this aim to be under 8 stone as I was before I got married.

My jeans were dirty on Friday so I put on an old pair - I knew they were big round the waist but not THAT big!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
8 stone 12 could be the maximum weight. I have this aim to be under 8 stone as I was before I got married.

My jeans were dirty on Friday so I put on an old pair - I knew they were big round the waist but not THAT big!

Don't go too low. We should probably be a few pounds heavier than in our teens/twenties.

Funny about the jeans. It's amazing how we can look into a mirror when we're that bit heavier and see someone much slimmer looking back!

By the way, my prediabetes reading was 44 so am hopeful of getting back to normal readings.

Well, off to have my roast chicken, spinach, stuffed mushrooms and two of the smallest roast potatoes! Enjoy your evening.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Don't go too low. We should probably be a few pounds heavier than in our teens/twenties.

Funny about the jeans. It's amazing how we can look into a mirror when we're that bit heavier and see someone much slimmer looking back!

By the way, my prediabetes reading was 44 so am hopeful of getting back to normal readings.

Well, off to have my roast chicken, spinach, stuffed mushrooms and two of the smallest roast potatoes! Enjoy your evening.

Could you give me some ideas for breakfast, please? I do have porridge with some fruit most mornings. Sometimes OK, others not. Can't face cooked breakfast most mornings and am a little concerned about too many eggs.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lynn1 and @aqualung - Using your details, the NHS BMI Calsulator gives a "Healthy Weight" range of 6st 8lb to 8st 12lb.

The upper limit is a BMI of 25. It's a pretty wide band, and I guess where we go within it depends on our underlying frame, how we feel and look, and of course, we'll get feedback from friends and family which can influence us. I found my most complimentary and harshest feedback has both come from those closest to me. Change is tricky for everyone!

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could you give me some ideas for breakfast, please? I usually have porridge with some fruit. Sometimes that's OK, sometimes not. As I can't face a cooked breakfast on most days, I am stuck for ideas and a little concerned about too many eggs. Thanks!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I usually have uncooked oats, with milk or yoghurt and berries, with the odd cooked breakfast once in a while. I'm pretty contented on that. The oats don't cause me a problem, these days.

In my early days I was strict with the above. These days I have a far wider palette including waffles, pancakes and the like. No Maple Syrup mind. Over time my tolerances have improved. Such are the benefits of testing.

I have also always been able to eat modest portions of tropical fruit, which is extremely unusual for those with this condition. I'm not sure if that's because it tends to be local, and therefore extremely fresh. That said, I have routinely steered clear of bananas as I love them too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, I usually have uncooked oats, with milk or yoghurt and berries, with the odd cooked breakfast once in a while. I'm pretty contented on that. The oats don't cause me a problem, these days.

In my early days I was strict with the above. These days I have a far wider palette including waffles, pancakes and the like. No Maple Syrup mind. Over time my tolerances have improved. Such are the benefits of testing.

I have also always been able to eat modest portions of tropical fruit, which is extremely unusual for those with this condition. I'm not sure if that's because it tends to be local, and therefore extremely fresh. That said, I have routinely steered clear of bananas as I love them too much.

Do you know if eating low carb is cumulative? Are levels likely to improve of their own accord?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast I just have 100g of full fat Greek yogurt and about 60g of strawberries, plus 10g of flaxseed. Oh and a mug of tea, closely followed by another one. This lasts me all morning without feeling hungry.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For breakfast I just have 100g of full fat Greek yogurt and about 60g of strawberries, plus 10g of flaxseed. Oh and a mug of tea, closely followed by another one. This lasts me all morning without feeling hungry.

Thanks. Roughly how many carbs a day do you try to work to?