Fed up!

SarahCarrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there ... Looking for a bit of advice. I was diagnosed on 26th aug with type 1. I was in hospital for three night with DKA. My blood was 32.7 when I was admitted. Am now taking novarapid and levemir. I feel utterly overwhelmed and a bit lost and have already had enough of diabetes. My hba1c readings have been 123, 112 and now is 92. I've been told that it will b 18 months before I can do Dafne as I have to b diagnosed a year before I can go on waiting list. I've been told I must eat carbs at every meal and not eat anything with more than 10g sugar per 100g. My average bg readings have gone from being 20 each day to around 8. I think I am trying my best but still am over correcting with hypos and get different advice from GP and diabetic nurse who is slightly patronising. Can anyone suggest anything I should be doing? I've seen that there are carb counting things online similar to dafne... Are these easy enough for a beginner or should I wait?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Am type 2 so can just send hugs but @Spiker any assistance?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hi and welcome
i,m type 2
afraid i don,t know very much about type 1

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
First off, feeling fed up is a totally natural response to being diagnosed T1.

Your levels are coming down gradually, and that is best.

As for diet and insulin, @jack412 has amazing advice of courses available online to give yourself a head start. I hope he'll be along soon!

It is tough, alot of diabetics do not follow standard nhs advice ref diets. You have to long term find what suits you... I've ate lower carbs for 30 years and no complications. I have stayed lean. However, eating depends upon every individual's lifestyle. One size doesn't fit all.

It is a huge learning curve to be a T1. I, as will all diabetics, will all remember diagnosis and the ups and downs that we do get. None of us are perfect, it is hard but you will feel much better about life when getting the right information to help you manage.

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Sarah and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi there ... Looking for a bit of advice. I was diagnosed on 26th aug with type 1. I was in hospital for three night with DKA. My blood was 32.7 when I was admitted. Am now taking novarapid and levemir. I feel utterly overwhelmed and a bit lost and have already had enough of diabetes. My hba1c readings have been 123, 112 and now is 92. I've been told that it will b 18 months before I can do Dafne as I have to b diagnosed a year before I can go on waiting list. I've been told I must eat carbs at every meal and not eat anything with more than 10g sugar per 100g. My average bg readings have gone from being 20 each day to around 8. I think I am trying my best but still am over correcting with hypos and get different advice from GP and diabetic nurse who is slightly patronising. Can anyone suggest anything I should be doing? I've seen that there are carb counting things online similar to dafne... Are these easy enough for a beginner or should I wait?
@SarahCarrick
Welcome.
Don't worry about waiting for 18Mo for DAFNE. While your're waiting, the online course, BDEC http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/ can give you a nudge in the right direction and as for carb levels the crowd here will be glad to give advice. Unlike most HCPs we are mostly fellow sufferers and may have had the same problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The BDEC Carb Counting course is an excellent place to start with carb counting, it's very similar to what is taught on the DAFNE course and should get you on the road to turning things around, any problems do come back and we will try our best to help you.

Reactions: 4 people

SarahCarrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for ur replies... Very helpful. Have downloaded some PDFs on counting from a link on this forum and looking forward to getting started

cheddargeoff

Hi. I was diagnosed with type 1 last December at the age of 61! I would strongly suggest that you buy yourself a copy of the book "Think Like A Pancreas" by Gary Scheiner (available on Amazon). Gary Scheiner is a Type 1 diabetic who has medical training in diabetes, so he knows what he is talking about from both the patient perspective and the medical perspective. This book is mainly aimed at type 1 diabetics, whereas most books on diabetes are mainly aimed at type 2.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome, but sorry to hear you are feeling down about diabetes, it can be hard for some at first/. There are a few of us who have had Type 1 for many years and I have found by reducing my carb intake a little, it has helped and trying to eat a healthy and well balanced diet, but not letting the big D rule or ruin your life. I too take NovoRapid and Levemir. You are heading in the right direction, so don't push your self too hard. Take care

With best wishes RRB:)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess diabetes burnout is my problem at present, although I've never heard of such a thing before. I've been thinking recently "why bother? Why not just forget the diabetes - eat and drink what I want (it wouldn't be extreme, but I might have more carbs) and just take the consequences. If I'm going to die with this thing anyway, I might as well enjoy what time I have left and maybe pop off before my insurance runs out (which I find it will do when I'm 70)". I am well into my 70th year at present. I don't give up, but only because I have a very sick husband who needs 24 hour care and I don't want to leave such a burden to my sons, so I hang on meantime. Once he goes though ... who cares? Am I depressed do you think? Or is this a fairly normal reaction?

issyben

I guess diabetes burnout is my problem at present, although I've never heard of such a thing before. I've been thinking recently "why bother? Why not just forget the diabetes - eat and drink what I want (it wouldn't be extreme, but I might have more carbs) and just take the consequences. If I'm going to die with this thing anyway, I might as well enjoy what time I have left and maybe pop off before my insurance runs out (which I find it will do when I'm 70)". I am well into my 70th year at present. I don't give up, but only because I have a very sick husband who needs 24 hour care and I don't want to leave such a burden to my sons, so I hang on meantime. Once he goes though ... who cares? Am I depressed do you think? Or is this a fairly normal reaction?
I definitely think you are depressed, but diabetes does not have to be the end all. It can be controlled with diet and some exercise, mainly diet.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in September 2012. I immediately went into a very low carb diet and the levels were normalized. I went a bit off the track in the last 6 months and they crept up a little bit (not much).
Just two weeks ago I started on the Newcastle Diet and they have gone back to normal levels again. I have already stopped one capsule of Metmorfin and I expect to stop all of them in a few more weeks. I am also 69 now and I don't intend for diabetes to take me down.
Don't forget that if you give up it is not a matter of popping off (as you describe it) but it could mean amputation, stroke or blindness and you don't want to be a burden to your children.
I wish you the best, but trust me it can be beaten with a bit of effort!

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
When i was first told I was t1 I didn't even pay attention to what was going on for the first several months (make that year plus - took me 2 years to get my head into the game was treating myself like a t2 because its all id known from my mom for 20 odd years of my life .... i got lucky and because I was vegetarian for some reason it helped extend my honeymoon period or something I didn't need very much extra insulin the baseline was mostly enough to cover things (which is once again the case after 11 years n development of celiac)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd echo nobleheads comments about BDEC. It is very similar to what I was taught from the word go in terms of diabetes eating.

A question for you. Have you lost or not put on a lot of weight? When I was diagnosed, many moons ago, I was put on a relatively high amount of carbs to get me to put on mass after about a year of getting worse. This may be what the diet you have been advised to stick to is intended to do.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely think you are depressed, but diabetes does not have to be the end all. It can be controlled with diet and some exercise, mainly diet.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in September 2012. I immediately went into a very low carb diet and the levels were normalized. I went a bit off the track in the last 6 months and they crept up a little bit (not much).
Just two weeks ago I started on the Newcastle Diet and they have gone back to normal levels again. I have already stopped one capsule of Metmorfin and I expect to stop all of them in a few more weeks. I am also 69 now and I don't intend for diabetes to take me down.
Don't forget that if you give up it is not a matter of popping off (as you describe it) but it could mean amputation, stroke or blindness and you don't want to be a burden to your children.
I wish you the best, but trust me it can be beaten with a bit of effort!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you get on to the Newcastle diet? My doctors don't want to know and my diabetic nurse only considers a traditional, relatively high carb diet as appropriate. I tried low carbing by myself because I really do think that this is the way to go for me. Perhaps I went too low carb but it made me very ill on each of the three times I tried. I'm now just eating as little as possible - which means that I am hungry all the time. I take Levemir at night and Humilin S before meals. Plus 5 x 500 mg Metformin a day. I do think part of my problem is irregular meals because I spend most of my time looking after my husband's requirements and this usually means spending hours preparing and feeding him meals.

I must admit that I see my end as a heart attack and fairly quick death, like my mother, who was probably an undiagnosed diabetic but I know my mother-in-law had a lingering end, losing both legs eventually. She was also an undiagnosed diabetic (quite definitely - she had had acute pancreatitis but doctors said she wasn't diabetic although she had many of the symptoms that I eventually developed before I asked my doctor to test me for diabetes).

OK. I'm fed up and depressed (clinically? I don't know) after being out of control for so long (10 or 11 years so far). So - pull myself together is the message and think about the effects on my sons if I give up.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Annb, sorry to hear that you wereill when trying Low Carb, but there is a level of expectation that you won't feel too great, usually known as Low Carb Flu. When your body is switching from carb based energy to fat based energy you go through something could be described as "cold turkey".

You may feel dizzy, nauseous, lethargic, etc and it relates to moving away from carbs and on to fat. The good news is that it does go and that by taking things like Omega 3, Multivitamin, Zinc and Magnesium supplements you can reduce the rubbish feeling. There is a lot of help both on here and on the wider internet that can explain how this works for you. It's worth keeping at it as it really will help you in the long run.