My Atkins Life

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers scandi!!

Breathe - water is definitely an area I need to work on.

My youngest is off school today as she's had temperature and aches. She was so cute earlier when she was suffering but since the calpol kicked in, I'm getting nothing done! Duvet day I'm thinking....

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow was it really the 3rd oct since I last posted?! Been so busy with the business - I'm starting to get myself out there with craft fairs in the run up for Xmas. Did first one last week which was dead but I still learned from the experience and met a couple of lovely fellow business ladies!

So back to diabetic business. I've stayed the same - bloods are boring - usually in low 6s for fasting although I've had a couple of 5s. I have realised me eating after 8 is the main culprit for higher fasting levels - even though that snack is low carb. I'm still working on eradicating that.

Leg hasn't improved despite having physio - it's do frustrating and limiting but can't do much about it so am focussing on what I can do - lose weight.

People are still complimenting me but I've seriously plateaued. I saw a post on a low carb fb page where someone had posted a similar comment and someone recommended carb cycling. So off I went and ordered the book which I am now reading at great pace while chaos surrounds me with two ignored children!! They're being fairly good at the mo which really helps!

No idea if this carb cycling is good for diabetics but figured as docs tell us to eat carbs, I may as well give it a go to shake things up a bit - I'll get the weight off and then go back to Atkins to maintain. I also need to somehow get exercising again as I definitely missing it and the endorphins that come with it!!

Have any of you tried carb cycling?

I start the Expert course in November. Looking forward to hearing the protocol and will compare to my choices...would actually rather be making bags but what can you do?!

I was also thinking about doing some diabetic themed bags for people on here but don't have any idea what the demand would be like. Do you think peeps would be interested? I'm also doing something for the Cats Protection shop so maybe it could be of interest. Essentially I want to get some positive messages about diabetes out there in a cute and pretty way.....it's something to think about I suppose.

Ex has been away on holiday for a month so I've had no stress with his stuff which has been lovely. Girls have also been a lot better behaved without him disrupting our routine. He's back tomorrow though :(

And I'm being brave and going to a single parent's breakfast tomorrow where I don't know ANYONE!! It'll either be great or flipping awful but you just don't know til you try.....

I'm really sorry I've not been around - have missed you guys xxxx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"And I'm being brave and going to a single parent's breakfast tomorrow where I don't know ANYONE!! It'll either be great or flipping awful but you just don't know til you try....."

If you're nervy, just treat is as networking. Business will probably come out of it anyway. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi Debs!
Glad it's going well! Half term now so am having some r&r! Going out for meal tonight without kids. Very rare! Looking forward to it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Debs!

Pleased to see you are still with us and all is going well with you. We do miss you!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just thinking yeaterday that I hadn't 'seen' you for a whhile. Good to see you back and so pleased the business is going well:)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
was just thinking about you- nice to see you posting. What is this carbs cycling? I'd like to think that it is eating fish and chips whilst peddling on exercise bike, but I doubt it. x

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'd be a bit worried about the higher carb days re my BS levels tbh. I can't help but think the best thing is a low carb low calorie diet for weight loss- so lots of leafy veg but none of these fat balls, mug cakes etc on a regular basis. I think it is easy to think that if it's not a carb, it's ok to eat but sometimes to lose weight we have to say no to the delicious fatty things a bit too. Just my tuppence worth.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
See I agree Ethyl BUT my situation is a bit chicken and egg! I'm still really overweight, despite shifting the pounds and although I'm
Sticking to low carb, it's not shifting for me now.

I've only just started reading the book today so haven't decided if I will but here's my conundrum....should I focus on shifting the weight for the next year and once I've hit my target go low carb forever.

Or

Do I continue with level BG but not losing weight and therefore remain high risk?

I'm thinking or the sake of a year, maybe I'd naturally lower my BG if I was slimmer but if I didn't, then would a year of higher BG kill me?

If docs spout on about low fat and high carb to help weightloss to prediabetics, then maybe this idea could work?

I love low carb and have never been so good at sticking to something in my entire life so will always come back to it but I think my body is just too efficient at adapting to my lifestyle! So maybe I should shake it up a bit?!

X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @cold ethyl Keep the low carbs but also count your calories, which will mean cutting back on some of the calorific fats. Not all, but some!

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Deb I agree with the shaking up your diet to carry on losing weight but maybe a short shake up would be better than longer term? Every so often I up the fat in my diet, not necessarily consciously, and find that my weight drops that week instead of the usual plateau. Last week I lost 3 lbs and the main difference was I ate an avocado for lunch every day. I seem to lose more weight the more fat I eat.

Of course there are people who know alot more than me but this is my personal experience.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just read the link from Breathe - 'high carb days' are still only 50g carbs a day so still low carb isn't it?! I'm currently on c30g a day...

X

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just read the link from Breathe - 'high carb days' are still only 50g carbs a day so still low carb isn't it?! I'm currently on c30g a day...

X

hi, they aren't 50 g a day on that link. they are 50 g per meal for the first 4 meals of the day. he eats six meals, and each of those first 4 he has 50 g of carbs in the form of oats. he is also a hard core body builder.

Of course, no idea if that link is similar to your book.

I agree, if you are plateauing, then shaking things up a bit would be a good idea.
But why not do something that won't mess your bg up at the same time.

How about a 'meat only' day like on the Dukan?
Or a higer fat day?
or a no fat day?

- remember, if you are keto adjusted, it is going to take days to get your body back to dealing with carbs, so for those first few days, watch your BG like a hawk. It will go high, and take a long time to go back down again - unless you introduce very small amounts of carb and build back up gradually. Personally, I wouldn't risk the high BG you will get. It'll take days to adjust. So changing carb levels every day is going to strain/shock/stimulate. Not sure if that is a good thing.

I'm currently doing 20g ish a day, using Diane Cress' Diabetic Miracle thing (see Amazon), and in it she is very VERY specific. She says that eating very low carb is a rest for the pancreas and liver - which is a good thing. But it takes a min of 8 weeks eating no more than 5 g complex carbs/meal to get the max benefits. Once those 8 weeks are over, you get to increase your carbs VERY GENTLY, to 11-20g of carbs/meal for a while. this is to let your liver and pancreas adjust to the increase. Because if you were to suddenly shove full portions of carbs down, it would undo all the lovely rest, and put a massive strain on the pancreas and liver. Then, when you are ready, you increase your carbs again to a higher level. The rest, and gentle rise is intended to avoid sudden peaks and troughs, and reduce strain on the body.

You may not be interested in following Cress' methods, but the whole 'be gentle with your body, and don't strain your insulin/glucose balancing capacity' makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Especially since this is a looooong, lifetime game.

Decisions you make now could well affect how resilient your organs are in 10 or 20 years.
I certainly know that decisions I made when younger are coming back to haunt me now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops!! 50g a meal???!!!! I'd be in a coma!
Right not making any decisions til I've finished the book!!

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that!

Xxx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

X

I just Googled Carb Cycling and that's one of the links that appeared.

Debs - Am I recalling correctly when I think you tipped over the pre-diabetes balance point at your last HbA1c, into T2? I'm just clarifying my thinking.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just Googled Carb Cycling and that's one of the links that appeared.

Debs - Am I recalling correctly when I think you tipped over the pre-diabetes balance point at your last HbA1c, into T2? I'm just clarifying my thinking.

you are right.

I worry about upping the carbs to lose weight as in my experience it was eating them that was so addictive in the past and led me to piling the weight on. As a a diabetic the healthcare professionals won't be able to see past your weight, but it isn't the be all and end all- you can improve your BS levels and still be fat and I think that improving your levels has to be the first priority. It's easy for me to say, but I'd try reducing your calories before I started on upping the carbs. I seem to recall that you make a lot of fat bombs and low carb cakes etc which are ok as an occasional treat but not if you have weight to lose, I think the LCHF diet is no different from any other diet in my own experience, and weight loss only comes from watching the calories and upping the exercise, which is tricky for you at the minute( btw what about aqua aerobics - can you manage to swim?). I've not gone mad on the fat , and have tried to portion control the likes of cheese, nuts and oils as they are so calorific. If we had a normal appetite, we probably would be ok with eat freely to appetite advice given with the diet, but then if we were operating normally , we wouldn't be fat or diabetic ;-) I also take Metformin- it hasn't done much for my BS levels really but has taken edge off my appetite so maybe it is worth asking about that?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Breathe - you're right I topped over. Doc always goes on about losing weight and never credits me for the loss I've already achieved.

Ethyl - I stopped the bombs and mug cake ages ago - only have a treat once a week, twice if I'm being rebellious! My overall calorie intake is around 1600-1800 and I've totally lost my appetite. Given my size, those calories should make me lose.

I think my thinking is if I lose the weight, my body will also adjust its BG - read somewhere that once you hit a certain loss, it drastically affected bg in a good way.

Aqua aerobics is a good idea but being in damp conditions causes so much pain I'm not sure it's worth it, plus there's the cost - I'm so poor now and all the cash I had has gone into the business so money is really tight. Walking is free so I plan on doing more of that and getting back into weight training on upper body at home - just ten mins here and there when I get the chance!

Doc offered me met but I refused as I didn't want to add to my prescription list! But it's tempting as you hear so many people talk if how their weight dropped off once they started it.

I wish there was an easy solution!

X