Flu vac. Yes or no?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Had mine nearly 12 hours ago.
Feel fine.

(Probably dead tomorrow, after posting that)

Reactions: 5 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you know now :) I had mine done in the Asda pharmacy last year and in the Sainsbury's pharmacy this year, all they do is take a few details and then write to your gp surgery to say you've had it done, I find it much better to do it this way as you can get the flu jab when your in store shopping, so much more cconvenient than trying to fit in with the sugery's timetable.
Do you have to make an appointment?
Had mine nearly 12 hours ago.
Feel fine.

(Probably dead tomorrow, after posting that)
Probably should not have liked that.

Reactions: 2 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't have it because the 2 times I have it has put me in hospital. The first time I was at school and missed a month due to severe reaction. Heard all the stuff about "the jab can't have done it" and "you must have had flu lurking" etc. Years later finally decided to get it done after the worry of swine flu. Was fit and healthy until had the jab. It crippled me again. Hubby came home to find me lying on the bathroom floor with severe flu. I had to go to hospital. This time doctors at hospital were honest and said a small percentage of people get the flu due to a reaction from the jab. So no jab for me!!!!!

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the flu jab 2 weeks ago. Came up in a red lump over the next 24 hours but wasn't painful. Last time I had flu (January 2013) I ended up in bed for a month after contracting pleurisy as a secondary infection. Not fun, although someone thoughtfully gave me a complete DVD box set of Blake's 7 to while away the hours. :cool:

Reactions: 5 people

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had the flu jab 2 weeks ago. Came up in a red lump over the next 24 hours but wasn't painful. Last time I had flu (January 2013) I ended up in bed for a month after contracting pleurisy as a secondary infection. Not fun, although someone thoughtfully gave me a complete DVD box set of Blake's 7 to while away the hours. :cool:
was it the one with Makepiece?

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an appointment to have mine on Tuesday. Last week end I had a cold and ached all over...that was bad enough I don't want the real thing.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had flu once as a teenager and ended up in hospital seriously ill, since then I've had the flu jab at my GP (back in the days you had to get a prescription for the vaccine, showing my age lol), have had it every year and touch wood never had full blown flu to the effect I ended up in hospital. Funny thing is I've never had any side effects until this year when I had to substantially increase my pump's basal rates as I was needing significantly more insulin. 2 weeks later and I'm now back to normal.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you have to make an appointment?

Probably should not have liked that.

Didn't die.
No reaction at all, in spite of walking around for the entire day.
Actually not entirely true, the injection left a sore spot on my arm, and today I was trying on dry suits at a dive show, every suit had a dump valve that just hit the exact same spot!

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't die.
No reaction at all, in spite of walking around for the entire day.
Actually not entirely true, the injection left a sore spot on my arm, and today I was trying on dry suits at a dive show, every suit had a dump valve that just hit the exact same spot!
I only wear dry clothes.

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys
I am astmatic and have a genetic/ neurological disorder as well as been T2. I have had both the Flu jab and top up Pneumonia jab this year. The last time i miss the Flu jab, i was in and out if hospital with chest problems. So Will always say have the Flu jab it doesn't hurt.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Smitten73

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Took my 15 year old T1 this morning for his jab. Turned out he was having the nasal spray version instead of the jab because of his age. He was offered an an additional pneumococcal vaccine as well. This one is supposed to be a 'Once Only" vaccine, to last his lifetime. They didnt have it, so we have to go back when it comes in.

treefrog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have Asthma & diabetes type 2 treated with insulin among other things, I had a bad asthma attack which turned to pneumonia after getting flu 40 years ago in the army, was in intensive care for 2 weeks, I started getting flu jabs then, I haven't missed one since and I've never had flu since. Also had the Pneumo vax . I never get any side effects not even a sore arm. I would reccommend having one every year, Flu kills Diabetics and Asthmatics.

Reactions: 4 people