type 2

alicemason

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mo good luck with the blood tests fingers crossed your change in diet has made a difference . Thankyoy for your message :)

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks alice I will let you know how I get on when I get the results. :)

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Alice, I'm new to the site but been T2 for about 3yrs now. I started on tablets but couldn't work with them at all so my GP put me on Levemir & Novorapid... Since being on them my BS readings are much better, I get very few readings above 15 and most have been in the range of 8 - 12 but mainly staying around 10. Over the last month I've been playing around with my injection quantities and I currently injecting about 50 Units a day which is up from around 30 Units ...

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Geez, welcome.

As a T2 on that medication and levels still in the 8-12 range (and which you say is an improvement) I have to ask what you typically eat? Getting any levels over that is not good.

Reactions: 2 people

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an non vegetable eater so I struggle to keep to a good diet ... I live on Fruit .. Living in Malaysia there's lots of it

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an non vegetable eater so I struggle to keep to a good diet ... I live on Fruit .. Living in Malaysia there's lots of it

Bad news I'm afraid. Fruit is not good for diabetics. There is too much sugar in it. If you want to get those levels down (and hopefully reduce your insulin) you need to reduce your fruits. What else do you eat?

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat meats, fish, all with boiled potatoes .. I eat dairy products ... eggs, cheese etc ..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat, fish, eggs and dairy products are all good things that won't raise your levels. Potatoes probably will, unless your portions are small (3 smallish ones).

What about salads, and do you eat any vegetables at all? Tomatoes? Mushrooms?

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm afraid not, ever since I was a child I vomit as soon as I try to eat any vegetables ... I've no idea if it's a mental thing or what but I'm 53 now and I've never been able to eat them at all ... I have tried but I'm genially physically sick when I try..

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am like you, not a vegetable eater, but have found raw carrots; try things raw the texture is completely different so it may be the cooling that turns your stomach. BTW you could try replacing potatoes with sweet potato. It is like eating fruit but with less carb than even the potato

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that Andrew .., I will give it a try.., one thing I'm not sure about is whether stress affects your BS readings. I've been under particularly major amount of stress right now for some personal reasons over the last couple of months and since then I've seen a particular rise in my readings, which I though I was getting under control to below 8

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Stress does negatively impact on readings.

alicemason

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi geez welcome to the site. Im still trying to get my head round what I should eat . Half the time I don't think im eating enough. Find it hard to work out the amount of carbs im having per day . Im bloody useless at it lol

alicemason

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The doctor told me try not to get stressed it raises ur blood pressure easier said than done

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same .., totally useless and keep getting it all wrong .., often I forget to inject the Levermir and I think I way under inject the Novorapid ... I actually thought I was doing really well last night after a few days of screwing up badly .. I try the counting carb but .. But as an example last night after getting steady readings between 5 & 6, I had dinner then checked a couple of hours later expecting to have readings about 8 .. I suddenly find I've got readings at 11 two hrs later then 10.6 two hours after that ...
Then last night I read that I don't have to wait 4hrs between injections which I though I had to so I was all confused

alicemason

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im only on tablets in the morning and evening at the moment . I dont find the doctors very helpful really. Give u medication and leave u to it

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in Malaysia and they were very good .., but after I understood the bit about injecting myself etc the leave you to get on with it, so many things then I don't know ... So I end up guessing and often get it wrong for months .. This is an example

Geez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What tablets do you take in the morning ? I was on tablets for a couple of years but I felt rotten on them as I know my BS levels were going up and down all over the place so taking a tablet in the morning and one at night doesn't account for everything going on during the day .., I guess if I was doing a strict regime of exercise and diet then it would be fine ... But unfortunately I don't live that kind of lifestyle, never have and never could I guess lol