Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi again all :)

Downunder, we have streaky bacon rashers (with plenty of white fat) and lean bacon (the major section without the rasher commonly called Canadian bacon in the U.S) and it's cheap and I love it, medium fried especially with a well done egg in a toasted sandwich. Those days are gone or at least that's what I thought. I've seen SOOOO many sites that say it's good, it's evil / bad, it has to be balanced if it MUST be eaten ... blah blah blah.

I know you guys in the UK love your cooked breakfasts (who wouldn't in your winters :) ) and so many people post here suggest it's fine and doesn't play up with your BS readings and balances out the carbo intakes.

I can take dropping the bread (and ****, do I miss a good sourdough or what !!) so I'd like to get to know if it's OK maybe three times a week with an avocado .... and yes, I know I must test to see the effects .... but I'd love to hear from those who just think it's a "no no" just as much as I would from those you reckon it works for them.

My wife is working her proverbial off trying to work out what I should and should not eat, counting calories, carbs, my readings etc etc and I'd love to give her a break from this as this is my problem far more than hers. I love her for it and though I reckon I've got lunch and dinner (more or less) worked out, the first meal of the day should set me up for the rest.

All the best to you all

Mike

Chris P Bacon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mike

Personally, I achieved brilliant hba1c and weightloss and blood pressure and cholesterol eating huge quantities of eggs and bacon fried, mushrooms are also essential :)

My neighbour owns a cafe and I would go there all the time for a gut buster, she would make me stand up display me to complete strangers telling them how much weight I was losing, eating her huge breakfasts

So although you will get negative responses from the less fortunate that have to calorie count or portion control

As long as your meter.is happy, I say eat it as often as you like and as much as you like, I often eat 5 rashers of bacon lol why not! :)

All opinion

Best of luck

Reactions: 5 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi mike

Personally, I achieved brilliant hba1c and weightloss and blood pressure and cholesterol eating huge quantities of eggs and bacon fried, mushrooms are also essential :)

My neighbour owns a cafe and I would go there all the time for a gut buster, she would make me stand up display me to complete strangers telling them how much weight I was losing, eating her huge breakfasts

So although you will get negative responses from the less fortunate that have to calorie count or portion control

As long as your meter.is happy, I say eat it as often as you like and as much as you like, I often eat 5 rashers of bacon lol why not! :)

All opinion

Best of luck

Going by your screen name, that is so damned funny :) Thanks mate

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G'day mate, i'm aussie too
IMO real bacon and supermarket bacon are different things, I call it a processed meat.... I have the total of all processed meats only once or twice a week, I put sausages in that group too.

I would find a german butcher that does his own, it's twice the price but you know what you're buying...I regularly use a high quality spec, it's basically a lightly salted, smoked, 80% fat as a bacon rasher ...a small slice or two of this gives so much flavour to an egg dish

LC homemade mince meats rissoles and other shapes, mixed and spiced in a 100 ways, then frozen off sounds better...thin ones can be cooked frozen.
I also have a cheap mincer/sausage maker that I wouldn't swap. you won't buy a processed sausage again

I found a couple of simple rules changed my life...

1. don't eat grain or any grain product ever....bread, pasta, grain oils,etc,

2. not eating carbs above your insulin resistance tolerance level is a forever thing and is based on your BMI..the higher your BMI was, the less carb you can ever eat
a person with low resistance can eat 400g of carb a day and be skinny
a person with very high resistance can get fat on 50g a day

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
G'day mate, i'm aussie too
IMO real bacon and supermarket bacon are different things, I call it a processed meat.... I have the total of all processed meats only once or twice a week, I put sausages in that group too.

I would find a german butcher that does his own, it's twice the price but you know what you're buying...I regularly use a high quality spec, it's basically a lightly salted, smoked, 80% fat as a bacon rasher ...a small slice or two of this gives so much flavour to an egg dish

LC homemade mince meats rissoles and other shapes, mixed and spiced in a 100 ways, then frozen off sounds better...thin ones can be cooked frozen.
I also have a cheap mincer/sausage maker that I wouldn't swap. you won't buy a processed sausage again

Thanks Jack

Where are you from?

I only intend to use two fry short rashers, mushies and one two egg(s) fried / omelet and some onion.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mike! Before I began lchf I never had much breakfast and never a cooked one! Now, 18 weeks on I just got my latest hbA1c and it's 38, non-diabetic levels, have lost at least two Jean sizes - and have either bacon, egg and mushrooms or 90% meat gluten free sausage every morning!! Never hungry before 1-2pm either!! Love it !! Oh, and my last cholesterol was "excellent" at 3.7 !!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Mike! Before I began lchf I never had much breakfast and never a cooked one! Now, 18 weeks on I just got my latest hbA1c and it's 38, non-diabetic levels, have lost at least two Jean sizes - and have either bacon, egg and mushrooms or 90% meat gluten free sausage every morning!! Never hungry before 1-2pm either!! Love it !! Oh, and my last cholesterol was "excellent" at 3.7 !!

Hi Kimbo :)

I've been reading your posts so well done .... you have set a damned good benchmark !!! Congrats !!!
mike

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mike,

I'm another that loves my cooked breakfasts, except I can't face it so early, so I have my fry ups at lunch times. 3 rashers of best back bacon, egg, tomato, mushrooms, half a slice of fried bread or a slice of toast with butter. The mushrooms and bread are griddled in butter, the bacon and eggs just griddled, the tomato microwaved. I have this about 3 times a week. (I don't like sausages). This does not spike me beyond 1mmol/l, often less. I have lost 4 stones in weight and my cholesterol breakdowns have improved from high normal to low normal.

Reactions: 6 people

alliebee

Hi there. I started lchf two months ago. I've lost a stone and a half and regularly at least 4 times a week have bacon eggs mushrooms..or scrambled eggs and mushrooms...I'm trying to stay around 35 to 40 g of carbs. Good luck..also just a tip. Try logging your food in my fitness pal. A free app or online..it taught me more about carbs than anything.. also the book Carbs and Cals. It shows plates of food and portion sizes. Its really good. They do an app as well ..carbs and cals. But the book is better

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jack

Where are you from?

I only intend to use two fry short rashers, mushies and one two egg(s) fried / omelet and some onion.
south australia
I slice off of a lump of spec, my small slice would equal a rasher in volume, ...I also do 1/2 inch cubes for other dishes
the old 'fat is flavour' is a must have with bacon IMO, the mushies or onions, soak up the bacon fat with extra butter/oliveoil

alliebee

Oh yes indeedy!!! Like a rocket ...all systems Go Go ...I have introduced not a few SHOs and junior doctors to this at work. Fairly sure Brunnaria has saved peoples lives here ......:)

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Mike,

I'm another that loves my cooked breakfasts, except I can't face it so early, so I have my fry ups at lunch times. 3 rashers of best back bacon, egg, tomato, mushrooms, half a slice of fried bread or a slice of toast with butter. The mushrooms and bread are griddled in butter, the bacon and eggs just griddled, the tomato microwaved. I have this about 3 times a week. (I don't like sausages). This does not spike me beyond 1mmol/l, often less. I have lost 4 stones in weight and my cholesterol breakdowns have improved from high normal to low normal.

Thanks BT

Just about to try it this morning on the back of an excellent 4.7 reading on waking :)

Will let you know

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi there. I started lchf two months ago. I've lost a stone and a half and regularly at least 4 times a week have bacon eggs mushrooms..or scrambled eggs and mushrooms...I'm trying to stay around 35 to 40 g of carbs. Good luck..also just a tip. Try logging your food in my fitness pal. A free app or online..it taught me more about carbs than anything.. also the book Carbs and Cals. It shows plates of food and portion sizes. Its really good. They do an app as well ..carbs and cals. But the book is better

More good tips alliebee :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

BTW Alliebee, is that 35 to 40 per meal or per day?

Logged onto fitnesspal (wondering if it's suitable for me though as I have no desire to lose any more weight and it doesn't seem targeted toward those with diabetes as much as it does with those who have pounds to shed) but it does have good info :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, MFP is very useful if only to show you whats in what you are eating

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thanks BT

Just about to try it this morning on the back of an excellent 4.7 reading on waking :)

Will let you know

5.8 one hour later and 5.4 two hours later

Totally rapt with that :):):):):):)

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
@Mike D
I have been eating bacon and eggs or sausage (97% meat) since end of Jan. Down 3st 10lbs now! Lchf rocks!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
If I lose any more kilos, I'll disappear :)

From 91 to 77 since June
Go Mike!
I have another 2 stone to go! Going a bit slow at the mo but at least a normal size now! :D