yoghurt

A

AnnieC

I make EasiYo unsweetened plain greek yogurt that has 6.7gm of carbs per100 gm and only has natural milk sugar in it. I can't face yogurt and berries for breakfast though so have mine as dessert with my evening meal

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

I have total full fat yoghurt you only need a little as its rich and creamy and I chuck in 4 or 5 small strawberries and a few chopped nuts. Lovely keeps me full till lunch

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have total full fat yoghurt you only need a little as its rich and creamy and I chuck in 4 or 5 small strawberries and a few chopped nuts. Lovely keeps me full till lunch

That's what I have, but add a dessertspoon of flaxseed rather than nuts, which don't agree with me. It keeps me full from breakfast to lunch.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about chia seeds, but flaxseed (linseed) is for the fibre. Low carb diets are a bit short on fibre if we aren't careful.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Full fat yoghurt rules ok. In soup, with berries, mixed with spices for coronation chicken etc.
I eat chia seeds for blood/sugar balance (so they say), fibre & protein. Not sure the Omega 3 claim stands up. I was told chia is more stable than flax (which is cheaper, is it?)
I found some psyllium husks (fibre) in the cupboard too. I'll have to be careful not to spend all my pocket money on fad foods.

Reactions: 3 people

alliebee

I know the chia seeds swell up like you can't believe...supposed to be good for energy levels too. I'm going to try flaxseed bluetit. Thanks for that tip. I see you can bake with it too

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i had a look in morrisons for yoghurt, the best in there, onken natural set, with 3.4g of sugar, so bought a tub

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
i had a look in morrisons for yoghurt, the best in there, onken natural set, with 3.4g of sugar, so bought a tub

It's a delicious yogurt and you won't be disappointed. There's a really good Greek Yogurt that is sold in Lidl, the brand name is Milbona and it's on par with the Onken brand.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@alliebee - It's very, very easy. This is how I do it.

Hardware required:
1 heavy bottom saucepan
Stirring implement
Ideally, a food thermometer (just less accurate if you don't have one)
Jug
Sealable container, just larger than the amount of yoghurt you intend to make
Smaller sealable container to hold your reserved culture for your next batch

Ingredients:
2pt container of milk I have used both Channel Islands and Full milk)
1 x 125/150ml carton of live yoghurt (I started with some Yeo Valley whole milk, plain yoghurt)
Optional Ingredients:
Splash cream, or couple of dessertspoons of dried milk, if you want it richer or firmly set

Method:
1. Warm your milk, in your saucepan to 185f/85c, stirring as it heats to stop the bottom catching or a skin forming on top. if you have no thermometer, heat until almost boiling. It's no catastrophe if the milk boils, but it's not strictly necessary.
2. Put the saucepan of milk to one side to cool to 110f/45c. If you have no thermometer, this will just feel warm, not hot, if you put your finger in. It needs to cool, so as not to kill the live yoghurt you will add shortly.
3. Whilst your milk is cooling, scald your containers to sterilise.
4. Once cool, stir the milk, and skim off any skin that has formed, or it may result in a lumpy finished article.
5. Empty your bought yoghurt, or saved starter culture into your jug. Ladle a few ladles of cooled, warmed milk and stir to fully combine. This loosens the culture and again prevents any lumps. If you are adding cream or powdered milk, do it now. (I haven't used this optional step, but if you're looking to up the fats, this could be an opportunity.)
6. Once your starter is loosened, combine the rest of the milk - in your jug if it's large enough, or in the saucepan, stirring to ensure no lumps. If there are any stir until you get rid of them.
7. Pour an yoghurt into your final containers.
8. Wrap both containers in an old towel and leave overnight in a warm, draught-free place.
9. Next morning refrigerate, remembering to save the little pot for next time around.

Mine has always set really well, and it gets more firm each day. The CI milk makes it very rich, but of course, you don't want much. Once going, it makes a week's supply of breakfasts for under £1 (plus additions and a 5 minutes fuel)

There are loads of YouTube films, employing various methods, including yoghurt makers, slow cookers and ovens, but to be honest, although it's an overnight process, the actual interaction is about 10-15 minutes in total.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh bless you thanks so much. Great detailed instructions. Magic! Just what IS wanted

It's super, super simple. I wasn't sure I could be bothered with the faff, but, frankly, there isn't any!

alliebee

Going to make some tomorrow I'm so grateful for the step by step instructions. So very kind of you. I love yoghurt...will let you know how I get on. Yummy here I come! :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I bought a yoghurt maker for less than a tenner off a shopping channel.
Pour milk/soya/goats milk in, add a spoonful of live yoghurt/last batch, leave for ten hours, eat.
Repeat.

alliebee

Well @AndBreathe. Your ypghurt was a resounding triumph! Its thick and so so tasty I used the yeo one to start it. And put it in my proving drawer ( well there's not much bread being made here these days) was just right temp.. first time I've ever done it. Thankyou. And how cheap its going to be! And low carb

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well @AndBreathe. Your ypghurt was a resounding triumph! Its thick and so so tasty I used the yeo one to start it. And put it in my proving drawer ( well there's not much bread being made here these days) was just right temp.. first time I've ever done it. Thankyou. And how cheap its going to be! And low carb

Excellent. I started a new batch this morning.

I do mine in a big container, as opposed to a number of individual pots, and each morning there has been quite a bit of whey leach out of it. I dispose of that (as it's all very nothing-ish), but the impact is the yoghurt gets thinker/firmer set each day. By the last portion, I swear I could slice it!

YouTube is your friend. :D

alliebee

Ha yes I had to.pour some off. That was a great idea to make it in a big container...I'm really pleased with it. Thankyou