ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
my readings were high this morning. i had a very small lunch and am starving now

alliebee

Well I hope you have something hot and nourishing Ally.
How utterly amazing you recorded 24 last night yet you had a fasting of 11 this morning. ?? You are doing extemely well...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. Make sure you don't stay hungry Ally.

I've had a couple of hungry days very recently and I could easily have fallen head first into a load of rice or a jacket potato. I've sorted it now, but it was yet another lesson learned!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Ally. Choose nourishing foods that fill you up. No need to go hungry or you will feel deprived and tempted. Did you have a small lunch because your numbers were high? That isn't always the best option.

alliebee

Yes me too...if you just try amd exist on your salads ie corned beef n ham beetroot ect ..at some point out of sheer need or boredom let alone hunger you will be tempted by the wrong things?
May I ask Ally ..I've only seen you post about those types of salad? I've not seen an example of what you do for hot cooked meals? Not being nosy I honestly would like to help? Like you I live alone now..Mabe we could give each other ideas?

Reactions: 4 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i need ideas, i do have the odd stew and vegetables. the trouble is, as i,m on benefits, i don,t have alot to spend on food after paying my bills and test strips. i do love sausages

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i need ideas, i do have the odd stew and vegetables. the trouble is, as i,m on benefits, i don,t have alot to spend on food after paying my bills and test strips. i do love sausages

Do you like spicy food Ally?

Whilst I'm on a relatively relaxed budget, I've found it interesting cooking for one for the past few weeks. Do you have a freezer or a freezer compartment in your fridge?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here goes:

I've modified this a little bit to keep tabs on the carbs. It's not low-low-low, but it is low carb and delicious.

Ingredients:
A pack of the best sausages you can find and afford. (You can use other meats too.)
1 pepper - which ever you prefer yellow, red or green
1 onion
1 courgette
Handfull of mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil.

Line a roasting tin or baking tray with foil.
Chop your vegetables, and cut the links of your sausages, if they're a bunch.
Put a couple of tablespoons of oil into the tray and spread around the bottom a bit to make.
Scatter the sausages and vegetables around the tray, but not the mushrooms.
Shake it a bit, or mix it around, to spread the oil a bit.
Throw into an oven about 180c, and ignore it for about 25 minutes. (Perhaps peep in to ensure nothing is burning or going to broown.)
Take the tray out and shake it a bit, to turn the sausages. There will be more oil in the tin by now, from the cooking sausages
Add your mushrooms and return the tray to the oven. Ignore for a further 10-15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and eat as many sausages as you might normally, and half the veg.

The remaining veg will be delicious cold, and your cooked sausages make a decent breakfast or lunch. Alternatively, you could just cook enough sausages and veg for one meal.

I love this, and sometimes just drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over it before I tuck in.

Yummmmmmmm.

Reactions: 6 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds delicious - I might try it myself but I'll have to do some roasties with it for hubby cos he won't think it's a proper meal otherwise!!

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Morning Ally. Back well on track now! I've got a small roast chicken today. It will easily last me 3 days meals and then I have the lovely stock to make from the carcass for chicken and leek soup :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

alliebee

Another cheap meal I do for myself is savoury mince n veg. I brown the mince add whatever you like as in herbs or spices. Peppers leeks an onion maybe one carrot an oxo cube. A tin of tomatoes and just put in the oven. I thicken it with a little bisto...this is enough for several meals too. Nice and low carb too

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This one is utterly stupendous:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicy_chicken_thighs_43925

I don't bone, or remove the skin. I slash the skin, to allow the marinade in. I also keep the salad really simple, forgetting the boodles, replacing with shredded iceberg lettuce, and dress it all with the reserves marinade.

Trust me, it tastes so much better than the pic looks. I also do more chicken thighs than I will eat in one sitting, and just keep in foil for next day - either a finger food lunch, or with steamed spinach for another main meal.

(Some of these chickens have thighs almost as big as mine!!!!!!! What do ASDA feed them on?)

alliebee

Ha ha ha. Chicken thighs!!!!! Now that sounds lovely. I'm getting hungry..I can feel a shopping trip for thighs!!! Gosh how yummy does that sound!!!
Ps does thinking about food raise bgs!!!!! Doomed!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And another one, although only Mr B has the saute potato:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pork_chop_maman_blanc_71608

This one is pretty high calorie, but, with the fat, it's a wonderfully filling meal. We usually have it with kale, spring greens or spinach. Any dark green veg works well with it.

OK. I might have to steal a little potato!

I must admit, my spice rack and pantry has even more variety since eating this way. I'd encourage anyone embarking on this way of eating to slowly build up their herbs, spices and sauces.

alliebee

I sometimes buy a pack of 4 chicken breasts often on offer. Cut a slit in them and stuff with boursin cheese...wrap some streaky bacon round the middle of them and sprinkle with season all shake mix. Then I pop 2 in the freezer and bake two. 4 or 5 meals for under a tenner
Another tip. I buy bacon scraps from my butcher. They are the good stuff just not uniform slices. I got loads last week for £2. Great for my breakfasts today having fried eggs n bacon n mushrooms and a tomato.....will keep me full for hours