Crippling nausea...

revnice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I've been suffering from really serious nausea for the last few days and sometimes puking at night. I can't drive, walk or play the bagpipes. On the misery scale it's a 9. I don't dare eat and I'm beginning to think my gymnastics career might be over.

Doc says it's because of fluctuating sugar levels but I have no idea how to get a handle on it. I test in the mornings and the level fluctuates from 90 to 150 overnight when no food has been consumed. I take Gluccovance if the level is high and I don't if it isn't.

I guess what I'm really asking for is a temporary solution first, so that I can function and then how to keep the sugar level fluctuations to a minimum?

Thanks - rev

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's possible that you might have gastroparesis (nerve damage to stomach). Obviously we can't diagnose you, but it would be worth asking your doctor to check you for this. You can get tablets to help with this although long-term, as you suggest, it's best to get your BGs under control. Easting smaller meals more often might be better than fewer large meals.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there any link between when you feel nausea and a particular blood glucose level?

Or particular foods or food groups?

And is nausea on the list of side effects for any medication you are on, including your Gluccovance? Sometimes side effects develop even after years of using a drug.

Really sorry you are feeling so rough. :(

revnice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
First of all, thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond with sympathy and constructive suggestions!

Bob:
"gastroparesis" - yeah, I read that somewhere but I want to cut my wrists with Occam's Razor first. If sugar fluctuations can be the cause then I certainly have that going on right now, so why look further. "Eating smaller meals more often" - I came to the same conclusion, better not to invite large spikes in sugar level - but what is a large spike? Is 90 - 150 a big deal?

Brunneria:
>Is there a link between nausea and sugar levels, food groups or side effects?
I haven't read up on side effects yet but I'd have to say no to the other two. I've read Jack412's links and I'm doing the diet, fruit, veg, no starch or sugar. I tried some nausea remedies for pregnant women but finally got out of it with Dramamine. Just in time, I was afraid that would lead to dancing.

A little pain never hurt anyone but this diabetes thing has me demoralized. 'I'm not a human being, I'm an Elephant man!' The psychological hit is as troubling as the sugar, I've lost interest, I'm having trouble seeing the bright side and apathy looks like such an exciting answer. I don't know if it's the Gluco or the Vance but I'm walking in a mysterious way, lightheaded and off balance in every respect.

Is this normal? I mean for someone who's become abnormal - does it settle in?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
start with a basal check to make sure thats right...you will know in a few days as you BG stabilises with the very low carb, your bolus will be minimal, robert and spiker bolus for about 1/2 the grams of protein as the body will use it for glucose too.
it is a strange one and may in the end have nothing to do with fluctuating BG, I would already be asking for a referral to a consultant

revnice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Jack:
What's a basal check and what's my bolus? I've no problem depending on the 'kindness of strangers' but who are Robert and Spiker?

>a referral to a consultant
I'm in rural Mexico, they're not exactly Borneo pygmies but a consultant here (if there is such a thing) is a guy with a smaller hatchet and bigger pictures of the virgin Mary on his wall. You guys here on this forum have been more helpful than Dr. Phibes and Dr. Strangelove put together.

I'll get my bolus out of the closet and stop fluctuating. If I can do that I'll know if something else is going on or not.

Thanks!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry mate, I got mixed up and thought you were T1 when you are T2 forget about that post
the LCHF won't be as fast as with a T1 to get your BG down, but you should see a change of an afternoon/night at first, the before breakfast will take a while
it will take out wheat allergies, IBS and stuff out of it, take your meds, metformin takes 3 weeks to work and stop start will get you no where, I would separate the meds and take just the metformin, if the combined glyburide drops you too low
with your bloods coming back to 90 sometimes fasting, it takes a lot of stuff of bad stuff off the table, which is a good thing.

I still think it's a strange one and it may have nothing to do with your Bg swinging 90-150 fasting, if your BG goes high and stays high, use a urine/blood ketostrip to check for ketones

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your med contains Metformin and Glyburide, you should be taking it all the time, not just when your levels are high. Nausea is listed as a side effect but in my opinion you could be making it worse by not taking the tablets regularly.

revnice

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Problems solved! The crippling nausea was an allergic reaction to Codeine that I take for pain. I didn't click to it at first because it didn't start until the Codeine built up in my system. I was fine for about 3 weeks. Once I stopped taking them, I never had the problem again and I found the side effect by looking it up on the web.

The dizzy spells I reported in another post turned out to be hypoglycemia caused by too much whiskey. I know whiskey is OK with diabetes but probably not in quantities that would kill a pig.

I'm better all round, no more horrible horrors - just the understandable horrors of broccoli and vegetables...

rev

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's good news!

Have to smile about the whiskey. Vile stuff. ;)