Diabetes has ruined my life

ashleyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It hasn't really, i just wanted to get you in here.

Im ashley, diagnosed type 1 two years ago on FRIDAY THE 13TH of july, a month and a bit before my 21st birthday. I was never sceptical...and I'm still not, but i feel like it makes my journey sound more interesting.

Over the last two years I've done more reading about diabetes that i have ever done on any other subject. I like to think that i control it and it doesn't control me but I'm sure you all know how it gets sometimes. Ive been into bodybuilding since about the age of 17 so a lot has changed since being diagnosed. Its still my favourite hobby and i still train 4/5 times a week but adjusting after diagnosis was pretty tough. A LOT of hypos post gym.

Im also heavily tattooed (2 good friends of mine own their own shops) so if anyone has any questions regarding that I'm pretty clued up.

My control is very good, i rarely have hypos anymore and genereally my levels stay in-between 4 and 8. Im a BIG eater and sometimes this comes back round to bite me on the **** but my diet is very strict so this is rare. All my food is weighed (i ate like this even before i became diabetic) so i know exactly what is going into my body and in what amounts. This has helped a lot with my control.

I don't really have any questions at the moment but thought id sign up as its nice to see other people having to go through what i do on a daily basis.

Thanks for reading!

Ash

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum Ash :)

It would appear that your coping quite well with your type 1 diabetes, hope your good progress continues for a long time to come.

Reactions: 2 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ash and welcome to the forum
I dont know how you do it.... since I became diabetic, I just do not grow anymore. i train 4/5 times a week. I try eat high protein meals
When I eat too much carbs, my blood sugars go out of control
Im always between 7 and 10....
Id love to know how you do it...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum Ash :)

Best wishes RRB :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Ash - nice to have you on board. Impressive tattoos:)

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello.
Well done on coping with it all very positively!
I'm 5 months into T1 diagnoses.
How long did you find it took you to get control to the point ur hypos reduced?

ashleyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ash and welcome to the forum
I dont know how you do it.... since I became diabetic, I just do not grow anymore. i train 4/5 times a week. I try eat high protein meals
When I eat too much carbs, my blood sugars go out of control
Im always between 7 and 10....
Id love to know how you do it...

how in check is your diet mate? there is no reason why we shouldn't grow as diabetics so it could be down to you just not eating enough? i had the same problem as you with getting the carbs in but i learnt how to adjust with different digestion rates depending on what i was eating. I'm currently on a bulking phase so carbs are pretty high at the mo.

Originally i would inject the full amount of rapid acting insulin to cover the large amount of carbs but this would send me hypo after about 45 minutes, which i would then correct with some simple sugars. Then around an hour later my bloods would be up way too high nearing the 15s.

Its a pain in the **** but i basically taught myself how to inject what i needed to cover the food over a period of time after eating. So instead of everything at once id maybe do 3 smaller injections every 45 minutes-an hour. I know this may sound ridiculous to some of you but you gotta do what you gotta do and this lifestyle is what makes me happy.

Hello.
Well done on coping with it all very positively!
I'm 5 months into T1 diagnoses.
How long did you find it took you to get control to the point ur hypos reduced?

thank you. believe me i wasn't always like this, i pushed it all to the back of my mind and just dealt with it from the day of diagnosis. This came back around on me about 6 months in pretty hard and i had a very rough few months of accepting what had happened to me and became pretty depressed. My diabetic psychologist and nurse helped me out a lot so id recommend using them if you ever feel like you are losing the plot!

Id say after 12 months id got everything running pretty smoothly with no hypos, it may have even been less than that but my memory is very bad! Its all a big learning curve and i still learn new things everyday, mainly about how different foods effect us.

I'm still waiting for that day when i wake up and this feels "normal". I wonder if that will ever happen?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
how in check is your diet mate? there is no reason why we shouldn't grow as diabetics so it could be down to you just not eating enough? i had the same problem as you with getting the carbs in but i learnt how to adjust with different digestion rates depending on what i was eating. I'm currently on a bulking phase so carbs are pretty high at the mo.

Originally i would inject the full amount of rapid acting insulin to cover the large amount of carbs but this would send me hypo after about 45 minutes, which i would then correct with some simple sugars. Then around an hour later my bloods would be up way too high nearing the 15s.

Its a pain in the **** but i basically taught myself how to inject what i needed to cover the food over a period of time after eating. So instead of everything at once id maybe do 3 smaller injections every 45 minutes-an hour. I know this may sound ridiculous to some of you but you gotta do what you gotta do and this lifestyle is what makes me happy.

Yeah...agreed. Pain in the ****. Thats my problem too. Id eat a big meal and take the required insulin but after 45 mins id hypo and after treating, my bloods would be sky high again. I have not found that happy medium.
One thing I have learned is that when my sugars are over 10, I start loosing weight.

Do you take protein shakes for the gym? If so.... what do you use? I always found them hit and miss. Id take a shot to cover the carbs in a protein shake but then Id hypo. I dont know if the carb contents are pretty accurate.

ashleyp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

you don't even understand how nice it is to hear someone else who has to go through this! you will get there mate don't worry it just takes time and practise of learning what to inject and when.

are you following any sort of diet plan or do you just eat as and when? this is whats gonna have a huge impact on whether or not you grow. you gotta be sure that you are eating OVER your daily maintenance calories.

i do use whey protein aswel just to top up my protein intake for the day. i use a company called Bulk Powders. I couldn't recommend them enough they have a massive range of decent quality products and they are the cheapest in the UK. i order online and 9 time out of 10 its on my doorstep the next day. Their shakes have 3.3gs of carbs per serving so very minimal effects on blood sugar.

I have one as I'm leaving the gym and when i get home i eat and inject but don't include the carbs in my insulin calculation. I know a lot of other companies tend to bulk out their blend with stuff like maltodextrin so some have a considerable amount of sugar in. give them a try mate they have good offers for first time buyers aswel (i don't work for them i promise haha!)

good luck

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Just ordered some Whey, Complete Pre Workout Advanced and HMB.
Hope the chocolate peanut is good.

Not badly priced. Thanks for the referal

Meli126

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It hasn't really, i just wanted to get you in here.

Im ashley, diagnosed type 1 two years ago on FRIDAY THE 13TH of july, a month and a bit before my 21st birthday. I was never sceptical...and I'm still not, but i feel like it makes my journey sound more interesting.

Over the last two years I've done more reading about diabetes that i have ever done on any other subject. I like to think that i control it and it doesn't control me but I'm sure you all know how it gets sometimes. Ive been into bodybuilding since about the age of 17 so a lot has changed since being diagnosed. Its still my favourite hobby and i still train 4/5 times a week but adjusting after diagnosis was pretty tough. A LOT of hypos post gym.

Im also heavily tattooed (2 good friends of mine own their own shops) so if anyone has any questions regarding that I'm pretty clued up.

My control is very good, i rarely have hypos anymore and genereally my levels stay in-between 4 and 8. Im a BIG eater and sometimes this comes back round to bite me on the **** but my diet is very strict so this is rare. All my food is weighed (i ate like this even before i became diabetic) so i know exactly what is going into my body and in what amounts. This has helped a lot with my control.

I don't really have any questions at the moment but thought id sign up as its nice to see other people having to go through what i do on a daily basis.

Thanks for reading!

Ash
Good for u Ash!
Not everyone takes the time to get informed or wants to know more about the disease, since they just curse them selves for having it. So cheers to u :)