Testing out what I can and can't eat.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing out what I can and can't get away with eating. As my HAb1c was only 50 when I was diagnosed type 2 and I'm on 500g of Metformin daily and lost a stone in weight over the last 6 weeks I don't think my readings should be too high, still have about another 2st to lose.

Blood glucose level at 11pm last night. 5.8

Blood Glucose level after fasting this morning at 8-46am 5.2

Breakfast at 9-20am 2 weetabixs with 3ozs skimmed milk. Cup of coffee

Blood glucose level at 11-32am 5.5

Blood glucose level at 1-46pm 5.5

Lunch at 1-46pm 1 slice of wholemeal granary bread and butter. 30g lean ham. 30g cheese.

Blood glucose level at 3-46pm 6.2

Blood glucose level at 6-01pm 5.0

Dinner at 6-05pm 50g Crinkled oven chips, 50g breaded Scampi. Peas. Lettuce. Cucumber. Tomato.

Blood glucose level at 7-55pm 5.9

So I think the bread is a no no, so will have to think so something different for lunch that I can take to work.

I use carb manager to work out the carbs I have had. Can anyone explain what the difference from where it says E.g 63g net carbs then 75g total carbs.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are reading 6.2 after the bread?

Yes I had 2 rounds yesterday at lunch time and I ended up with a reading of 8.1 so will stop having that. When I went shopping this evening I brought a Hovis Seed Sensations loaf I will give it a try but I think it may be the same outcome.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are great readings.

I aim for below 7 after meals, but that is a bit tighter than NHS guidelines, so yours are great!

But your portions are tiny... Is that enough for you? If not, there are lots of veg and non-carby foods that you can fill up on.

The weight loss is fantastic too, and it may well be helping to keep your BG low.

I hope you are very pleased?

Reactions: 4 people

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those are great readings.

I aim for below 7 after meals, but that is a bit tighter than NHS guidelines, so yours are great!

But your portions are tiny... Is that enough for you? If not, there are lots of veg and non-carby foods that you can fill up on.

The weight loss is fantastic too, and it may well be helping to keep your BG low.

I hope you are very pleased?

For the last week I have not really been feeling hungry, and at most meals are not eating all that's on my plate. I used to eat a lot of fruit but at the moment don't fancy it, the only meal I can really say I'm really want at the moment is breakfast.

I'm aware I need to make sure I don't cut down to much. I feel at the moment I've got into a rut of not wanting to eat.
Don't know if it's anything to do with the Metformin as I read somewhere that it help you to lose weight.

Reactions: 2 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried dropping weetabix for breakfast? First week or so of diagnosis I had them for breakfast thinking I couldn't handle cooked, then I swapped tobacco, egg, mushrooms and never looked back! Have lost at least 2 Jean sizes, never hungry or craving, have no bread, cereal, pasta, rice and just don't miss it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried dropping weetabix for breakfast? First week or so of diagnosis I had them for breakfast thinking I couldn't handle cooked, then I swapped tobacco, egg, mushrooms and never looked back! Have lost at least 2 Jean sizes, never hungry or craving, have no bread, cereal, pasta, rice and just don't miss it!

LMAO off Kim. You swapped tobacco????? A slight typo there! To bacon??????? ;)

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had 2 rounds yesterday at lunch time and I ended up with a reading of 8.1 so will stop having that. When I went shopping this evening I brought a Hovis Seed Sensations loaf I will give it a try but I think it may be the same outcome.

I eat Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal (14g carbs per slice) and can manage 1 slice. The slices are quite thick, but there is plenty of fibre in them. I cut my slice up into lots of soldiers so it looks more and lasts longer!

8.1 is still under the NHS target of 8.5 at 2 hours.
Your numbers are great. You shouldn't worry about them.

A

AnnieC

If you can eat the bread..maybe just one slice.. and Weetabix ok and by your BG levels which are really good you can then there is no reason to stop them especially as you are a small eater and perhaps could not face a cooked breakfast

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anyone explain what the difference from where it says E.g 63g net carbs then 75g total carbs
I assume that this is an app from the US.
In the US they calculate carbs slightly differently than in the UK, they include fibre with the carbohydrate amount. To get digestible or net carbs you can deduct the fibre. If you are just using the app to look up the carb counts of things then you will normally use net carbs.

However on labels in the UK (and some websites based in the UK) the carbs as listed on a packet have already had the fibre deducted .You will see it is listed lower down on the label. You must therefore not deduct fibre in this case , just use the total carb figure (if you deducted it you would in effect be deducting it twice)

The problem comes when you enter foods into web applications that are based in the US. If you put in the carb from a British label and then the fibre, the application may deduct it to give net carbs (and that will be wrong since it has already been deducted.
These two labels may make it clearer canadian UK labels.JPG

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
losing 2lb a week :) ...I think keep doing what you're doing, [cut the grain product as you found out, bread will spike you]
other than the grain, I think your BG is fine and isn't going to be a problem for you when the weight is gone.
I think you are doing the right thing dropping fruit, new research says T2 convert glucose to fructose, so you don't want more fruit/fructose

it may be having your BG in range and the cutting of carbs that has reduced your eating too, I know I was hitting the fridge 2hr after a main meal when I had high BG and eating twice as much food and still hungry, than as I do now

have a think about a lifetime eating plan and start to put it into place. my suggestion would be a lower carbs, higher fats and normal protein one

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are getting some good readings but I am concerned that you are really not taking in much food at all, the portions you describe really are tiny.

Pavlos

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume that this is an app from the US.
In the US they calculate carbs slightly differently than in the UK, they include fibre with the carbohydrate amount. To get digestible or net carbs you can deduct the fibre. If you are just using the app to look up the carb counts of things then you will normally use net carbs.

However on labels in the UK (and some websites based in the UK) the carbs as listed on a packet have already had the fibre deducted .You will see it is listed lower down on the label. You must therefore not deduct fibre in this case , just use the total carb figure (if you deducted it you would in effect be deducting it twice)

The problem comes when you enter foods into web applications that are based in the US. If you put in the carb from a British label and then the fibre, the application may deduct it to give net carbs (and that will be wrong since it has already been deducted.
These two labels may make it clearer View attachment 7648

Thank you. I downloaded the Carb Manager on my iPad as I use a lot of fresh foods that's not pre packed so you don't get the information that way. Do you know if these a Uk one that you can download from anywhere.

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood Glucose level after fasting this morning at 8-10 6.0

Breakfast at 8-20am 30g Cornflakes and 30g blueberries with 3ozs skimmed milk.

Blood glucose level at 10-27am 5.7

Blood glucose level at 12-12pm 5.7

Lunch at 12-15pm 33g Hovis Seed Sensations bread and butter. 50g lean ham. 30g cheese and a gherkin.

Blood glucose level at 2.10pm 6.5

Blood glucose level at 7-00pm 5.9

Dinner at 7-05pm 100g cauliflower, 50g grated cheddar Cheese, 150g bolognese made from
(Lean mince beef, onion, tinned tomatoes, mushrooms and tomato purée)

Blood glucose level at 9-10pm 5.3

Don't know why the fasting one was high. Lunch time was that piece of bread again. Not sure if I should try something a different for dinner as it went down instead of up after dinner.

Is it normal to get bruises where you are doing the finger prick. Have tried different setting on it, but makes no difference.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
those numbers are great, here is what's considered normal
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
Fasting blood sugarunder 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)
One hour after meals under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L)
Two hours after meals under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

I would still be looking at a forever way of eating to put in place

C

catherinecherub

There is nothing wrong with your numbers, they are good.
You are doing the right thing by testing and you will eventually see what is right for you. You seem to have taken to it like a duck to water.:)
Metformin sometimes dulls the appetite but the amount you are eating would be enough for me and many others.

With regards to the bruises on finger tips, your fingers are not used to all this testing and it should subside. Are you squeezing your finger very hard to obtain blood after you have lanced it or is the blood flowing freely? I have noticed that bruises seem more obvious when the weather is colder.