What Do The Figures Mean?

billbruen

I was diagnosed Type 2 in August this year......13.3 mmol/L

I can see from others in the Forum, that some people take their condition very very seriously....taking Blood Sugar readings every five minutes etc (I jest).

Whilst I understand my condition IS serious, I will never be a member of the group above. I have got hold of a blood sugar tester, but only use it intermittently.

I'm taking my diet very seriously.....a combination of LCHF, Keto and since August I've lost 1 stone......I'm now getting interested in the Newcastle Diet, with the potential to become diabetes free (they say).

My main problem is that I don't know what the BS readings mean......I know what the 'normal', 'prediabetic' and 'you've got it' ranges are, but, for example......took a reading this morning before breakfast....6.8........took another reading 2hrs after my careful tea....5.6........what does this tell me?

I only have a few figures so far......all comments welcome.

21.Aug.......13.3
2.Sept........11.7
27.Sept......5.0 (before food)
27.Sept......7.0 (2hrs after food)
9.Oct...........8.1 (2hrs after food which included Uncle Ben's rice.....maybe not a good idea??)
21.Oct.........6.5 (with empty stomach)
25.Oct.........6.8 (empty stomach)
25.Oct.........5.6 (2hrs after food)

Bill

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you seem to have the hang of it..you didn't like the 8.1 :) keep up the good work.
your fasting is your hormones, liver dump and insulin resistance.
during the day is what you eat on top, most have less IR of an afternoon and get better numbers.

this is a good site for blood testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I only have a few figures so far......all comments welcome.

21.Aug.......13.3
2.Sept........11.7
27.Sept......5.0 (before food)
27.Sept......7.0 (2hrs after food)
9.Oct...........8.1 (2hrs after food which included Uncle Ben's rice.....maybe not a good idea??)
21.Oct.........6.5 (with empty stomach)
25.Oct.........6.8 (empty stomach)
25.Oct.........5.6 (2hrs after food)
Apart from the first two readings I wouldn't consider you diabetic at all.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @billbruen your numbers look good and so they should as you are on a low carb ketogenic diet. This means you do not have much carb to turn into glucose and all your body will be doing is processing the protein into glucose and delivering glucose from your liver to keep you at a reasonable level. This is one of the reasons you are seeing the higher morning figures. With the amount of glucose your body is going to use you are all set up to keep your brain going for the day.

Do seriously consider a very low calorie diet (whether that is newcastle or some other approach - eg stay on the diet you are on but drop a lot of the fat)) to shift the weight but make sure you also do exercise with it. You do not need to do it for long and it really worked for me. Had a bag of wine gums yesterday (for experimentation purposes of course) and I reached a heady peak of 6.7!

BTW we understand our numbers because we tested/tested/tested and compared with what we ate, how much we exercised, etc and know what our bodies are doing and what we expect them to do. I do not test as much any more - just when I experiment. I rarely bother with my fasting number as I know that will be between 4.8 and 5.2 or at 5.4 exactly if I ate beef the previous night (would love to know why beef does this)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
your readings are good, i would say stick between 5 and 6

billbruen

Hi @billbruen your numbers look good and so they should as you are on a low carb ketogenic diet. This means you do not have much carb to turn into glucose and all your body will be doing is processing the protein into glucose and delivering glucose from your liver to keep you at a reasonable level. This is one of the reasons you are seeing the higher morning figures. With the amount of glucose your body is going to use you are all set up to keep your brain going for the day.

Do seriously consider a very low calorie diet (whether that is newcastle or some other approach - eg stay on the diet you are on but drop a lot of the fat)) to shift the weight but make sure you also do exercise with it. You do not need to do it for long and it really worked for me. Had a bag of wine gums yesterday (for experimentation purposes of course) and I reached a heady peak of 6.7!

BTW we understand our numbers because we tested/tested/tested and compared with what we ate, how much we exercised, etc and know what our bodies are doing and what we expect them to do. I do not test as much any more - just when I experiment. I rarely bother with my fasting number as I know that will be between 4.8 and 5.2 or at 5.4 exactly if I ate beef the previous night (would love to know why beef does this)

Gosh you've done really, really well Andrew......do you consider yourself non-diabetic now?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Umm now there is a question. I know I have no diabetic symptoms at the moment but the question really is how long will it last. I am not scared of eating things any more but I am always curious about their impact. I consider myself lucky really

billbruen

Umm now there is a question. I know I have no diabetic symptoms at the moment but the question really is how long will it last. I am not scared of eating things any more but I am always curious about their impact. I consider myself lucky really

I assume you've read all the Professor Taylor stuff and diet (Newcastle) about reversing diabetes?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
oh yes. He says monitor for several years afterwards in case it isn't type 2. So time will tell.