Blood Sugars staying high - Dont know why

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood sugars are staying high and I do not know why.
I am on the Omnipod. I woke up throughout the night on Friday with high blood glucose readings. I kept taking correction doses but my levels were staying high,
Woke up yesterday with a 15. I set my pump basal rate at a +20%. I hardly ate many carbs. I kept testing and taking more correction doses.
I thought I could have a faulty pod so I removed the pod before bed. Took 20 units Tressiba and a correction dose of Humalog by injection. I woke up at 2am and was 15 (only 3mmol down from my pre bed reading at 23:30pm). I then took another 3 units correction and woke up with a 12.
I am using the Libre and my readings are the same as a finger prick reading so its not the Libre or sensor.

I took a further 4 units upon waking - an hour ago and no change.

I feel completely fine and I am not ill so I do not understand why.

Any advice?

iHs

Presuming yr bofyweight hasn't increased and the pods and pda are ok, its possible that you need to increase your basal rates to deal with the high bg. Even though you did a TBR of +20%, it wasn't enough as you still needed to do corrections.

Out of panic, you used some Tresiba but that wont work straight away so will probably tickle yr bg levels later today so you will need to eithrr wait for Tresiba to vanish, or do a much higher tbr on the pump, or do some basal rate testing and adjusting.

its possible that you might be starting to come down with a bug and some slugs as high bg can often preceed any feelings of being unwell.

Hope you get on top of things again

Reactions: 2 people

abdul7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
don't take stress & exercise activness - if your are lazy so do only 10mins in morning 10mins evening 10mins in night but do it.walk is also important...then see result in a week

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bodyweight hasnt changed. The tressiba starts working within 2 hours.
Perhaps I may be coming down with something but I feel fine.

I am very active and fit Abdul7. i cycle at least 20km per day and go to the gym 4/5 times a week

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tressiba take a while to reach its level, doesn't it? it's not like the other two. that could be one reason your are still high???

as a dumb non insulin T2..swapping too much doesn't sound good, I would have stayed with the pump and kept correction, you may be coming down with something
sick day rules on pumps rules, I guess

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well i stayed high from Fri till 11:30pm last night. I wasnt sure the pod was working properly. Instead of changing the pod at 11:30pm then going to bed, it was safer to remove it and take the injections.
Id rather treat myself with injections, try get back to within normal then start the pod again.
The downside with Omnipod is..... sometimes the pod malfunctions and you just dont know and it does not alarm you.
Omnipod always recomend that you do not change your pods at night because of this.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Have you tried a different vial of insulin?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well even on injecting now.... im staying high which tells me theres something wrong.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seen this happen before, high bg readings for no apparent reason then a day or two later the symptoms appear, usually a cold.

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I've had the same over the few weeks and I do have a minor sniffle. I'm riding the storm for the moment and have only tweaked a couple of my basal rates up but if it continues I'll be thinking about doing a 1 step increase through the board during the day as it may be down to the colder weather.