Dexcom CGM transmitter/sensor on arm?

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
I use an Animas Vibe pump with the Dexcom CGM intergrated. I have always positioned my Dexcom CGM transmitter on my abdomen, Dexcom recommend this position only, but on reading lots of posts on the forum I understand that the top of the arm seems to be the favourite site for many. Can you please tell me if the accuracy is as good as on the abdomen?

Thanks
Annie

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
currently sat here with Dex on my arm for the first time and yes for me accuracy has been good. I have knocked it a few times more than i usually would but its survived so far. not sure about duration yet as its been less than 7 days

UPDATE: on my 4th week on the Arm with one sensor. Accuracy was very good until Friday or Saturday. trending still good but numbers aren't quite as good as I would like. Will be pulling on Thursday (28 days)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use dexcom on my arm and I love it. Accuracy is no different than on belly, and I find it much more convenient that belly. I also manage to keep it on for longer as my arm doesn't "wiggle" so much :D

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I wasn't so keen on the arm usage to start with but now that I've learnt to position the sensor properly, it's fab very accurate and stays in place longer.
If you have a sensor failure before the 6 days usage then make sure you tell animas the sensor is in your tum and not on your arm.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been using my arm for over 18 months - best place and no problems.

Reactions: 2 people

nutcasey

Does anyone here do weight lifting at all and also place these on an arm? I just ordered this and would like to use it on my arm but am afraid my gym routine might knock it off.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone here do weight lifting at all and also place these on an arm? I just ordered this and would like to use it on my arm but am afraid my gym routine might knock it off.

Have a look on facebook for type 1 diabetic athletes group - lot of weight lifters on there using dexcom in their arms. I think it's probably more likely to get knocked off on the abdomen, by weight belts bar bells etc. But if you are very muscley you have to try not to insert the sensor into a muscle because you will bend the wire for the sensor and get inaccurate readings.

I think @TorqPenderloin uses a dexcom and lifts, he might be able to add some practical experience.

nutcasey

Have a look on facebook for type 1 diabetic athletes group - lot of weight lifters on there using dexcom in their arms. I think it's probably more likely to get knocked off on the abdomen, by weight belts bar bells etc. But if you are very muscley you have to try not to insert the sensor into a muscle because you will bend the wire for the sensor and get inaccurate readings.

I think @TorqPenderloin uses a dexcom and lifts, he might be able to add some practical experience.
Thanks mate! I'll check that out.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I do use a Dexcom G5 and I do lift regularly. Unfortunately, I don't have the best of luck (or any luck) with wearing the sensor on my arm. Just as @catapillar mentioned, the sensor wire bent the wrong way into my muscle which caused some discomfort and inaccurate readings. I wasted three sensors (not consecutively but over the course of a few months) before deciding I couldn't wear it on my arm.

I actually wear my sensor below my left arm on my rib cage. If I put my arms by my side it's right in front of my elbow joint (if that helps you visualize). That allows me to wear a 4" powerlifting weight belt without issue. It doesn't get in the way of running or hinder my range of motion. Oddly enough, it's extremely accurate there as well and it's far enough on my side that I can sleep on my stomach or back. The sensor wire also has a slight curve to it which follows the curvature of my rib cage so it's less likely to get bend the wrong way.

nutcasey

Yes, I do use a Dexcom G5 and I do lift regularly. Unfortunately, I don't have the best of luck (or any luck) with wearing the sensor on my arm. Just as @catapillar mentioned, the sensor wire bent the wrong way into my muscle which caused some discomfort and inaccurate readings. I wasted three sensors (not consecutively but over the course of a few months) before deciding I couldn't wear it on my arm.

I actually wear my sensor below my left arm on my rib cage. If I put my arms by my side it's right in front of my elbow joint (if that helps you visualize). That allows me to wear a 4" powerlifting weight belt without issue. It doesn't get in the way of running or hinder my range of motion. Oddly enough, it's extremely accurate there as well and it's far enough on my side that I can sleep on my stomach or back. The sensor wire also has a slight curve to it which follows the curvature of my rib cage so it's less likely to get bend the wrong way.
Thanks for all of that. I don't really wear any belts or the like in the gym but I do like to do situps. Around this area might actually help then if the arm doesnt work out for me.

Reactions: anniehi41

nutcasey

Got it today and it just won't seem to pair with my iPhone at all. Bit gutted about it all to be honest! This thing cost a fortune.

nutcasey

So my phone just says 'enter new bg meter value' and whenever I do, it stays there...

I am coming up to a week having had this. How have people managed to keep this on for more than a week?

iHs

Have you entered the transmitter id no in the Dexcom settings menu on the iPhone and have you done the 2hr warm up?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
So my phone just says 'enter new bg meter value' and whenever I do, it stays there...

I am coming up to a week having had this. How have people managed to keep this on for more than a week?
Assuming you have worked out how to use the iPhone as a receiver then all you do is restart the sensor and go through the 2 hour warm up. So it stays on make sure it's well stuck down.