scared! second pregnancy with GD this time from onset

melliea

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear all, sorry for being rather dramatic but I am feeling rather scared and alone at the moment. I am 10 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had GD with my first pregnancy over 2 years ago, diagnosed at 25 weeks. Luckily I controlled it with diet and moderate exercise and my son was born early (induced at 38 weeks) weighing healthy 7.7 no complications.
I have been asked to monitor my diet and sugar from the onset this time and it appears that GD is back as my blood sugars were high when checking in the hour finger prick (9 after eating sandwich etc etc).
Whilst I am controling it by diet most of the time now, I am scared that as I wasnt told to monitor my sugar/diet until the midwife came to see me at my booking appointment at 7/8 weeks, I am worried what damage I may have done to my baby. I have been reading about birth defects and I am very worried.
it is hard to get hold of my diabetes nurse and my doctors surgery are pretty useless - I was only told to take double folic acid last week and I should apparently have bee taking it from the beginning.

I am so tired all of the time and paranoid of what harm I might have done that any reassurance would be great.

not the it makes any difference but I have never been overweight and had a bmi of 21 both times and had regular exercise through dog walking, riding and caring for my horse.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think 9 at 1 hr is fine, 9 at 2hr is still ok, but under 8 is better, If you were high teens or 20's it wouldn't be that good.
Take a breath, you and your bub are going to be fine, you are aware and won't let it get out of control. When you saw the nurse, did she tell you what numbers she wants you to run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

melliea

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE When you saw the nurse, did she tell you what numbers she wants you to run?[/QUOTE]

Hi jack412, thank you for the reassurance :) only just seen the last bit! Diabetes nurse wanted it less than 7.8 an hour after eating. I just have to check blood 3 times a day.

Becky78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in Sweden the recommendation is 7.8, 1-1.5h after the finished meal. So I wouldnt worry at all about that 9 value. If you are unsure, measure 1h and 2h after each meal for a while and keep a detailed diary of what you are eating. You'll notice then that you react a bit over the top to some carbs, but not to other. If your glucose levels havent started to go down at the 2h measurements, then you need to take a really good look at the contents of that last meal. This will help you plan your meals better during the rest of the pregnancy. Sandwiches containing loads of carbs that are processed all to hell and have no nutritional value whatsoever are usually not that good for the blood sugar. Save your carb 'quota' for veggies, tubers and fruit instead. ;)

mdsremos

Hi, I also has GD with my last pregnancy 4 years ago and saw consultant at 10 weeks and started checking levels on Tuesday 23rd December. My levels should be under 6 before meals and 7.8 or under 1 hr post, straight away on Tuesday they were 11.4 after a soup lunch then fish and chips for tea ended in 12.4!!! I started insulin Christmas eve (2units before meals) and was still getting high levels so yesterday had to increase the dose. I'm still in shock it's all happened so fast, had a crying melt down today as the reality hit me, have sore fingers from testing BG 7-8 times a day but reassured that I have experienced excellent care already and I'm only 14 weeks today.

Hannah july

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I had GD in my pregnancy diagnosed at 25 weeks.i now have a healthy 6 month year old baby girl. My problem was my fasting sugar which was always around 6.1 so I was put on insulin before bed. I controlled my sugar during the day with no metformin or insulin.i struggled with my diagnosis and blamed myself cos I'm overweight.i was petrified that I'd harmed my baby.but she was born at 38 weeks a healthy 6.11. I had been told to expect an 8 or 9 pound baby!! Don't worry as long as you monitor your sugar and take advice from the diabetic team you and your baby will be just fine. Unfortunately it looks like I'm diabetic now as my fasting sugar has remained higher than it should be