Worried about my hypos

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I have a good few of these. But What I'm concered most about is the fact that over the past week or so my blood sugars have to drop to 2.8 or lower before I notice the effects. I am worried because it being that low...it really does not give me much time to correct it, if say for example I had to walk a distance to get something to fix it. Take tonight for example, I was 7.1 at 5pm before my dinner, Tested 3hrs later..down to 4.5mmol/L I had to go out then at 9:45pm to collect a new phone when I got back I seen a small fruit loaf on the table, I wanted some. So I decided to check my BG, It was 3.4 and I still felt no hypo symptoms. Anyways I took 7units and cut a thin slice off and bunged it in the toaster, lathered it up with butter and mauled it with a cup of scald :D

Anyways I was just wondering if I should be concerned because I thought I heard a few people say on here that they were unaware of when they go into hypos? is this correct? Need I worry?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
The more hypos you have, the more likely that your body will get used to them and that then causes a likelihood of not recognising them and needing 3rd party help.

If you are then a driver you then stand more chance of having your licence refused.

The best way to get your awareness back is to keep your levels between 5-9bg for 6-8 weeks. This doesn't mean to say that you will definitely get them back though. Some people can lose for good and this of course has a huge effect on their lives.

My consultant isn't worried if she sees levels down to 3.7. So long as I recognise them. She is also concerned if I have more than 1 low reading a week...

Reactions: 3 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bazzza,

I certainly agree with DD's comment above. In my experience (38 years of it.) with a BG that mark I would treat the low level monitoring its rise first.
I certainly wouldn't bolus for it!

To be positive. The fact you were up for something sweet may indicate that you haven't totaly lost your hypo awareness yet....?

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good comments.

Bazza, you should never take insulin if your bg levels are low like that, it's a recipe for a disaster and will catch you out one day. Better to treat the low with fast-acting glucose then have your food once your levels have returned to normal.

If you do suspect that your losing your awareness symptoms do try running your bg levels higher for several weeks and see if they return, you will need to monitor your bg levels more often than normal so that you don't drop too low during this period. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you guys very much. really do appreciate your advice. Its amazing the stuff im learning here from helpful folks like you guys. Thanks again

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh, and just a thought....

I don't ever think "oh I'm hypo" I just have thoughts that "I need to test" or "i need to eat"... I have never in 30 years actually had that thought "I'm hypo". I test regularly without thinking about "I need to test"... So when my brain tells me to test, that is my brain telling me I'm hypo without using the hypo word.

I probably thought this way for 30+ years because I was really warned about hypo's when diagnosed and it is my brain handling the fact that I don't like the hypo word......

I just know now if my brain tells me to do a test or if I feel that I need to eat then I'm hypo. I never get hunger pangs at all, I never have any appetite to eat so that's why I know my brain telling me to eat is because I'm hypo.

Just wondering if your brain may work in a similar way to mine....