FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually, should have said that I've never used any of Abbott's metres before, so I've no idea how this one compares to any of the others

I have the Freestyle Optium. It's the most accurate meter I've used - but the Libre meter is less accurate. So generally impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry, but some of you are still missing the point. Regardless of whether it lags 5 or 20 minutes behind (for what it's worth, the evidence from the data downloaded from my current reader shows it generally lagging between 5 and 10 minutes) it is actually measuring something different - it measures interstitial fluid not blood as the BG metres do. There is an algorithm that calculates a BG reading from the IF reading and shows that on screen - it is very clever but has many variables involved; individual physiology, location of the sensor, tolerance of the sensor, hydration levels of the individual at a given time etc etc etc., so the result it displays at a given scan will be more or less accurate given a wide range of variables. We then look at the scan and compare it with a BG reading from our favourite meter which also has a +/-20% tolerance. I'm afraid it will be more or less comparable to a BG reading from our favourite meters at different times for different people. It is a guide showing trends. No more and no less - that in itself is an incredibly powerful tool to help spot patterns and manage diabetes.

Smidge

WEll said Smidge.I also think so many people have not watched the videos from Abbott symposium where they explain all this and discuss the trials and certain patient profiles.
I have joined the FB groups too but I am already thinking of leaving them because people just think this is a replacement glucose meter and my timeline is just being filled with comparison tests and images of sensors being taped down...etc etc.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@smidge,

How do you gauge how low you are going? When do you finger stick? That's the only real problem I am having, because I still have to decide on my basal dose, especially at night. I know that I don't go really low at night, but to offset the 3.0s and lower that the Libre tells me I'm getting overnight, even tho I know they're wrong, I have to finger stick, just to check.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@colsan, if you want to test - tho it'll drive you mad - get all your meters lined up with strips ready, and then test from the same drop. Different fingers differ! (Which makes you wonder about the whole testing thing, don't it ...)

redrevis

... and images of sensors being taped down...etc etc.
Regarding this, have Abbott said that in no circumstances should the sensors be taped down? As quite a few people have said their sensor has started to lift off after just a few days of use, especially if they have been exercising etc. So I'm unsure as to what other option people have got than to tape it down? Are Abbott really going to replace any sensor that starts to become unstuck before the 14 day period ends?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@smidge,

How do you gauge how low you are going? When do you finger stick? That's the only real problem I am having, because I still have to decide on my basal dose, especially at night. I know that I don't go really low at night, but to offset the 3.0s and lower that the Libre tells me I'm getting overnight, even tho I know they're wrong, I have to finger stick, just to check.
Well, partly by how I feel - I know when I'm heading into hypo territory generally - partly by what I've been eating/drinking/doing - so last night I had a couple of glasses of wine with my tea and I know wine always drops my BG a few hours later so I need to be vigilant and partly by what I'm about to do e.g. drive, take insulin etc.

So, previously I would have tested at least on waking (still do thi to calculate breakfast dose), before each meal to calculate dose (still do this), after each meal to see effects and make sure dose was right (have more or less stopped this and just scan), before bed (still do this), other times as needed e.g. low BGs or as required e.g. driving (still do this). After my wine yesterday, I scanned fairly frequently so I could see as my BG started to drop - previously I would have had to test maybe once an hour and hope to catch the drop - or correct pre-emptively and usually end up very high the next day. When correcting a hypo I would have tested frequently across the next hour, but now I just test to confirm, correct, then scan frequently until I see my BG rising. Unfortunately, with the low readings overnight, I don't see that you've got any choice but to test for now.

Smidge

hamish112

WEll said Smidge.I also think so many people have not watched the videos from Abbott symposium where they explain all this and discuss the trials and certain patient profiles.
I have joined the FB groups too but I am already thinking of leaving them because people just think this is a replacement glucose meter and my timeline is just being filled with comparison tests and images of sensors being taped down...etc etc.
Yes, that is all well however my first two sensors have displayed 'LO' throughout the night for several days on the trot whilst my GB meter shows between 5 and 8 ....
As for the sensor falling off, I emailed Abbott and they tell me that the sensor isn't suitable for periods of heavy exercise where the user will sweat. Which presumably means that this won't work when you sweat as the sensor will loose it's stickiness - which is worrying in itself given that low BG levels can cause sweating!

Reactions: 2 people

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Regarding this, have Abbott said that in no circumstances should the sensors be taped down? As quite a few people have said their sensor has started to lift off after just a few days of use, especially if they have been exercising etc. So I'm unsure as to what other option people have got than to tape it down? Are Abbott really going to replace any sensor that starts to become unstuck before the 14 day period ends?

I have just called to ask about this as my sensor is starting to worryingly lift at one side. As it is still giving me readings at the moment they advised me to either use some plaster/wrap bandage around it to keep it in place. But if it falls off then to call again so they can "troubleshoot" it. No mention of a replacement but they seem to have been very generous at offering replacements to others previously.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have just called to ask about this as my sensor is starting to worryingly lift at one side. As it is still giving me readings at the moment they advised me to either use some plaster/wrap bandage around it to keep it in place. But if it falls off then to call again so they can "troubleshoot" it. No mention of a replacement but they seem to have been very generous at offering replacements to others previously.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
...., have Abbott said that in no circumstances should the sensors be taped down? ...
Abbott customer services told me it's ok to tape it down or cover with a tube bandage as long as you take care not to dislodge the sensor in doing so.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@hamish112 - looks like you have faulty sensors - ring Abbott and explain and they will almost certainly replace them - you then send the faulty ones back for them to examine - they send an envelope for the return. You will get a much quicker response with a call to their Freephone number than with email.

Smidge

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've found the sensors to be reading lower than BG tests but consistently so - i.e. they do not suddenly get more accurate but seem to improve slowly over days. My current sensor has gone from being out by -2.2 mmol to -1.1 mmol (averages) over 5 days.

As the sensor is no longer giving me 'LO' readings I can happily use the scan readings to work out my boluses.

I do a BG test in the morning to see what correction factor I need to (mentally) apply to the scan readings which I use throughout the day.
I do another BG test before going to bed to check if the correction factor from the morning is still valid or needs changing.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Mine was starting to lift after just a few hours so it's now stuck with kinesiology tape - seems to have done the trick! I've found no difference in accuracy with the tape on

hamish112

@hamish112 - looks like you have faulty sensors - ring Abbott and explain and they will almost certainly replace them - you then send the faulty ones back for them to examine - they send an envelope for the return. You will get a much quicker response with a call to their Freephone number than with email.

Smidge
Indeed - I have already done this first thing on Monday - still no sensor in the post with a failed second one that they won't replace until they have received the first one back....
Still, it makes a very cool beeping noise when you scan it over the sensor still - everyone here says I should get a bar code on my sleeve ;-)

raregerry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
customer services going down hill at abbott my first sensor came away after 4 days spoke to customer services on Monday and they said sorry about that we send you a replacement with a free post envelope to return the faulty one, just come off the phone nothing has been done despite them telling me i should receive by today as i explained that i am off to the far east tomorrow and need the replacement before i go. They have now told me i need to send the the faulty one then they will send me the replacement and by the way i need to pay for the postage to France and then they refund me!! I told them they better get me a manger to sort this today other wise they can we refund me the whole lot as happy as i am with the product as such i can not deal with kind of lack of customer service. I am using a new tubi grip bandage over the sensor to keep this one in place!
Not the way to launch a new product !! offered to pay for a new sensor as long as they dispatch today for delivery tomorrow morning plenty of 24 hrs couriers out there was told they could not do. Sorry rant over for now will let you know the outcome soon.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is how my sensor has been performing over the last 5 days.
Note that it was reading aprox 2.2 mmol lower than a BG test when started - it's now reading aprox 1.1 mmol lower.

Two1MRv.jpg

I've been able to use the data to adjust the timing of my boluses and am particularly happy with the last couple of days as the peaks after eating have levelled off substantially.

Reactions: 4 people

gettyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my Libre on Monday took about 12-15 hours before the reading stabalised. but like a few people on here the sensors died. my first sensor didnt not last 36hours before the reader told me it failed and needed to be replaced. I called the helpline and they said they will send a replacement out. I applied the second sensor from the starter pack, it accepted the sensor and gave the 60min count down however when the timer was up the sensor fail before i could take the first scan. just my luck the helpline was close, called this morning and again a new sensor will be replaced. i saw some lot numbers being posted previously, these two sensors were from LOT: 140908B.

Up until this point i was rather impressed with it. was able to see what was going on and also able to not overcompensate with my injections. The sensor itself wasnt as noticable as i first thought it would. in fact i hardly noticed the sensor and applying it was very easy and painless. hopefully these new sensors will work and for longer.

to those who have had it a while now, have you found the libre to be a very useful tool despite having to pay for the equipment?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed - I have already done this first thing on Monday - still no sensor in the post with a failed second one that they won't replace until they have received the first one back....
Still, it makes a very cool beeping noise when you scan it over the sensor still - everyone here says I should get a bar code on my sleeve ;-)

Hi Hamish,

I think it very much depends who you speak to. One guy was virtually throwing a new sensor at me when what I really needed was test strips, the next guy I spoke to when promised sensor didn't arrive said that it hadn't been sent and he'd need to send the strips first and see if its still 2mmol out against those. I was pretty assertive with him at that point so we'll see what arrives! I'd ring back and ask to speak to a manager if I were you.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
customer services going down hill at abbott my first sensor came away after 4 days spoke to customer services on Monday and they said sorry about that we send you a replacement with a free post envelope to return the faulty one, just come off the phone nothing has been done despite them telling me i should receive by today as i explained that i am off to the far east tomorrow and need the replacement before i go. They have now told me i need to send the the faulty one then they will send me the replacement and by the way i need to pay for the postage to France and then they refund me!! I told them they better get me a manger to sort this today other wise they can we refund me the whole lot as happy as i am with the product as such i can not deal with kind of lack of customer service. I am using a new tubi grip bandage over the sensor to keep this one in place!
Not the way to launch a new product !! offered to pay for a new sensor as long as they dispatch today for delivery tomorrow morning plenty of 24 hrs couriers out there was told they could not do. Sorry rant over for now will let you know the outcome soon.

Yes, I've noticed a change in their attitude too over the last couple of days. I thought they might just be getting fed up with me being their new best friend LOL.

Smidge