IBS

gemz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

Has anyone else been diagnosed with IBS after Diabetes Type 1? Just wondering if there is any kind of link.

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I have ulcerative colitis been a type 1 for 38 years and diagnosed with UC 8 years ago - I was told it was an auto immune condition too and not uncommon for a type 1 to develop other such conditions.

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too unfortunately am in the same boat, although currently inbetween a diagnosis of crohns and ulcerative colitis. As mentioned above there is a link between any auto immune diseases. I currently take mesalizine three times daily and am on a FODMAP diet plan. This seems to control my symptoms very well!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Fodmap diet is rarely talked about but well worrh googling and finding out if it can help relieve symptoms.

Reactions: 2 people

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also- does anyone find flax seed helps? I was advised re this when picking up my prescription one day by the pharmacist!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with slow colonic transit, but gastric consultant thought that initially it was IBS. He only did further tests because of T1 30 years...

So, I use 2 teaspoons flax seed everyday at least.. It also goes in majority of muffins etc that I make.

Now discharged from hospital totally and no problems at all since having flaxseed. Stomach completely working totally normal everyday.

Linwoods on their website have their ground flaxseed at a good price at the moment.

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and it's complications
I suffered from IBS for about two years before I started with the symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes. The IBS continued for about another two years after diagnosis, and was very debilitating until I underwent a six week hypnotherapy treatment from Greater Manchester NHS Trust. This essentially cured me of all symptoms within a few weeks of finishing the treatment. I would recommend anybody who suffers from IBS to try it, even if you are very sceptical (as I was). You certainly have nothing to lose.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My niece had hypnotherapy just after leaving school as she was so ill with ibs. She went for 3 sessions I believe and never looked back and has since travelled to the most destitute barren places in the world and got herself a really high pressured job...

pshuttle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and it's complications
My niece had hypnotherapy just after leaving school as she was so ill with ibs. She went for 3 sessions I believe and never looked back and has since travelled to the most destitute barren places in the world and got herself a really high pressured job...

I am glad you niece experienced the same relief as I have. I too now have a fairly high pressured job, and also live what most people would call a pretty adventurous life.

Alex94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Last week I just got diagnosed with IBS! On tablets to take 20 minutes before I eat but don't seem to be doing anything :/

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I was diagnosed with IBS around 3 years before diagnosis as a T1. I went to straight onto a low carb diet after T1 diagnosis and found IBS 'bouts' became less frequent and even controllable. I was on all sorts of tablets and had a couple of colonoscopies without any success. Low carb really helped me.

Molly0

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bigotry and prejudice of all kinds.
I have had IBS for some years but recently it has become a lot worse. Very painful and difficult; I was diagnosed with diabetes only 3 and a half weeks ago. I thought it might be the Metformin tablets that had made it worse but I haven't been taking them over t he weekend and the IBS is pretty bad right now. The hypnotherapy sounds promising - I would be more than willing to give that a try.

Mommayorkie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being ruled by my conditions.if it isnt one playing up its another. stopping me leading at least some sort of life.
i was diagnosed with IBS about 3 yrs ago and type 2 diabetes about a year after that. also have other auto-imune conditions.i.e. eczema,underactive thyroid,... as i also have spinal spondylosis i am on co-codamol capsules for pain.take 2 every morning to get me going then 2 upto 3 or 4 times if/when needed. i dare not take them too often as they throw me the opposite way into constipation.so tend to spend days doing nothing nothing much. im 72 and cant exercise other than the odd walk in town with my daughter. i do find that i can be fine eating certain foods for a while, then my IBS kicks off and again i have to do a process of elimination to find out what is the culprit each time.i tried low carbing after a series of incidents where i had to have 4 lots of steroids in 4 months. blood sugar went berserk. but i felt so ill. i dont eat big meals so maybe i just wasnt eating enough.i rarely cook because i cant do it from scratch unless having a really good day. so bread is a staple, though i do use weightwatchers WHEN I CAN GET IT.seems to getting harder to find at the moment. and i do most of my shopping online too so have to rely on the pickers. (apparently at tescos the orders are picked between 5 and 6am but bread not delivered till around 7/8am. no win situation there.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have been gettin stomach problems for a few years before diagnosed with diabetes but not diagnosed with anything. I was tested for coeliac disease but i dont have that. But i think i have developed an intolerance to eggs n thats whats been flaring my stomach problems

MrsMushroom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had severe stomach problems for around 5 years before i was diagnosed as T1.

I had all sorts of tests for crohns, colitis, celiacs you name it ..... and the hospital couldn't find anything wrong with me and diagnosed severe IBS. Then I fell pregnant in 2010. At my 28 week blood glucose test, my BS was through the roof at around 28.3 and I was hospitalised with suspected gestational diabetes (although my obstetrician was convinced it was T1 from the beginning).

The week before i had my son, it was confirmed i was in fact T1 and strangely, since then I have never really had many problems with my IBS other than the odd flare up now and again. My gastroenterologist says that my body was fighting against itself and when i became pregnant the hormones basically triggered my diabetes.

Not sure if it helps, but I have also had problems with my thyroid in the past and I also suffer from endometriosis (which i believe is an immune deficiency disease, i may be wrong though so please correct me if i am).

My younger brother is also T1 and I have a first cousin who is also T1. His mother (my aunt) has celiacs and my father is T2.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All very interesting. My T2 was diagnosed after blood tests to pin down IBS. I also get regular ear infections from eczema in my ears, but nowhere else. Giving wheat a wide berth has helped me enormously though.

reamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had t1 for 8.5 years and have spent the last year with severe stomach problems. I've been tested for all kinds but told its just IBS.
I've been I'll to the point where I can't work and it is having a really negative impact on my life.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I've had t1 for 8.5 years and have spent the last year with severe stomach problems. I've been tested for all kinds but told its just IBS.
I've been I'll to the point where I can't work and it is having a really negative impact on my life.
Similar here. Mŷ GP referred me to gastroenterologist and I have a colonoscopy in mid December, see what, if anything, is wrong. Something is not right and I need to know, and need to get it fixed. There are not many, if any, tests left so ...... We have to go invasive.
Don't give up.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about the actual colonoscopy. The clear-out meds beforehand are to be treated with respect, but by the time they have sedated you for the procedure you won't care what's going on - or where!