Told NOT to test BG and I must eat carbs.

alliebee

All drs in our generation are brought up and trained with the sp called healthy plate carbs ect. But in the last ten years the internet is challenging this. Open minded docs are embracing new stats. Go tell your gps its wrong and lchf works. Take your great Hba1c results and say WHY THEY ARE BETTER. Educate gps who have little knowledge in a lot of things YOUR speciality. Tell your dr...

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is excellent advice in theory, Allie, however in practice it didn't work for me. My nurse listened intently to my speech about low carbs, testing, and my own good results, then said - oh but please have bread every day, and mushy peas, and a jacket potato with baked beans. I had run out of mental energy by then and just nodded.

Reactions: 6 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I like this not sure if it is actually Southpark but it does the trick;

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 15 people

alliebee

That is excellent advice in theory, Allie, however in practice it didn't work for me. My nurse listened intently to my speech about low carbs, testing, and my own good results, then said - oh but please have bread every day, and mushy peas, and a jacket potato with baked beans. I had run out of mental energy by then and just nodded.

Its awful they need to advise the party line due to NICE guidlines for insurance policy. But its so wrong

Reactions: 2 people

JSale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am so upset. I was diagnosed with type II on 8 Sept 2014 and put on Metformin a week later. My readings were 66 and 8.2 however you like to read it. I have cut out sugar (apart from a bit of fruit), stopped drinking alcohol, stopped smoking, started going to the gym and have lost half a stone in weight. I was given a meter this morning and did a check after fasting and my BG was 8.4. I don't understand I have been so good. I only had broccoli and stilton soup (homemade) with oatcakes last night. I feel like going home stuffing my face with cream cakes, opening a bottle of wine and smoking a packet of cigarettes seems to keep my BG lower

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so upset. I was diagnosed with type II on 8 Sept 2014 and put on Metformin a week later. My readings were 66 and 8.2 however you like to read it. I have cut out sugar (apart from a bit of fruit), stopped drinking alcohol, stopped smoking, started going to the gym and have lost half a stone in weight. I was given a meter this morning and did a check after fasting and my BG was 8.4. I don't understand I have been so good. I only had broccoli and stilton soup (homemade) with oatcakes last night. I feel like going home stuffing my face with cream cakes, opening a bottle of wine and smoking a packet of cigarettes seems to keep my BG lower

I don't understand how you could be given a meter this morning and then did a fasting test? Fasting tests are done over night. Do you mean you hadn't eaten at all from yesterday?

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't be too disheartened, the morning fasting reading took several months to react after I started checking, it is still higher than any other pre meal reading during the day.

I also notice that you mention Oatcakes, you might want to use your meter to check how your react to oats, they seem to be an odd one, some can eat them and hardly notice, for me they send my blood sugar higher than normal white flour does.

Keep checking and keep off the carbs and you will get there.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Last time I saw my DN she was mentioning highlighting my case within the practice. I should follow up on that ...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I saw my DN she was mentioning highlighting my case within the practice. I should follow up on that ...

Last time I saw mine she told me to eat bread, mushy peas, and jacket spuds with baked beans, despite my good results and my speech about testing and low carbs.

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who aren't nice, just for the sake of it.
Keep on testing mate. It's the only way you can control YOUR life. A friend of mine told me years ago that groups are all very good if you thrive on other people's stories but each of us has our own story and to live it, we have to write it ourselves. Okay so he's a flaky old Native American but it sort of made sense to me. I tested once a day to start, I'm now testing 3 times a day and because of that, know exactly what foods to avoid. How the hell would you do it otherwise?

Do what you do and don't let "THEM" grind you down.

Reactions: 8 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That is excellent advice in theory, Allie, however in practice it didn't work for me nurse listened intently to my speech about low carbs, testing, and my own good results, then said - oh but please have bread every day, and mushy peas, and a jacket potato with baked beans. I had run out of mental energy by then and just nodded.

Sadly I have found many Practice Nurses who have very little insight and a lot of outdated knowledge. One of my nurse's advice was 'dont take sugar in your tea' and that I shouldn't 'blame' other medical conditions for my difficulties in losing weight.

I don't drink tea, I have never used sugar in drinks since I was about 14 years, and I have a number of long term conditions which predisposes me to weight gain, not to mention the stack of medication I take, of which one of the side effects are - you guessed it - weight gain! I am well aware that I have to take responsibility for my own health, but this sort of patronising rubbish really annoys me. I refuse to see her now; fortunately the other two nurses are a bit more understanding

Reactions: 4 people

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed on 22 sept my bs was 14.9 and my other one was 104 instead of 42 I instantly cut out fizzy drinks,chocolate and cut my bread intake from 8/10 slices a day,I am on Metformin 3 times a day have lost about 10lb in weight but levels have only gone down to 10.7 before eating today after evening meal went up to 14, I know bread is one of my problems but just love it, don't know what to replace it with,I'm a fussy eater anyway.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I was diagnosed on 22 sept my bs was 14.9 and my other one was 104 instead of 42 I instantly cut out fizzy drinks,chocolate and cut my bread intake from 8/10 slices a day,I am on Metformin 3 times a day have lost about 10lb in weight but levels have only gone down to 10.7 before eating today after evening meal went up to 14, I know bread is one of my problems but just love it, don't know what to replace it with,I'm a fussy eater anyway.

I believe there are some good very low carb bread recipes - you just need to search on the interwebs. 14.9 to 10.7 is a pretty good change. Exercise can help with insulin resistance. Since you have a blood glucose meter and are testing after meals, you should be testing to see what foods increase your blood glucose too much and cut back on those foods. :cool: Don't be discouraged with your results so far - they are actually pretty good. You could try a low carb high fat diet. That seems to work for a lot of people. Personally, as soon as I got my meter I cut way back on carbs when I saw what they did to my blood glucose levels.

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have got to go on a low fat diet because of cholesterol,low fat,low carbs what is there left to eat I ask myself.

secundaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also try and do at least 10,000 steps a day,yesterday managed over 18,000, I walk almost everywhere.