your breakfast?

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My breakfast is usually a two egg omelette with cheese and ham or bacon. It seems to carry me through to lunch really well.

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I've got Redmond multicooker my breakfast became easy to cook. Every morning I'm making porridge for my family and it took time to cook it on the oven. Now I just need to put all ingredients into Redmond device, set a mode and in half an hour my meal is ready.

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Almost every morning, as soon as I wake (usually 5 or 6am), have a 9 Bar Wholebake (or Flax or Nutty) (40g size from a 4 pack box) with 10g almonds and a strong black coffee.

I skipped breakfast for many years pre-Diabetes... and still can't eat too much until a couple hours after waking, but I do quite often go out for one cooked breakfast over the weekend, around 9am... usually a full English (no bread/toast or beans), or at home at weekends I'll do Poached, Scrambled or maybe Boiled Eggs (with 'soldiers'), or sometimes Welsh or Buck Rarebit. Occasionally grilled Goat's Cheese or Salami toastie ... (all using Livlife Bread/Toast).

Also quite often have a Turkish Breakfast - Cold Meats, Olives, Cheeses, Slices of Beef Tomato & Cucumbers, Eggs, Turkish tea etc. (although I have to miss out the honey and mouth watering Sesame topped Turkish 'Pide' bread).

On rare occasions I'll treat myself to Eggs Benedict (with real, full-carb muffins). YUM!

I have a milk allergy, so no milk or cream since being a toddler, but I do sometimes have a little bit of thick Turkish Yoghurt (which seems to be ok on my stomach) with fresh berries and Almonds in summer, or a smoothie (using same ingredients).

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

FredFish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had Quaker Oats for breakfast for the last couple of years; but not any longer. I just discovered that it badly spikes my blood sugar level very high. It is plain unsweetened 100% oatmeal too, so thought it was healthy and safe, but apparently not. At a loss what to have for breakfast now. Other cereals are out of the question as they contain too much sugar. Even branflakes are no good as they are so high in sugar they make me feel quite ill.

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had Quaker Oats for breakfast for the last couple of years; but not any longer. I just discovered that it badly spikes my blood sugar level very high. It is plain unsweetened 100% oatmeal too, so thought it was healthy and safe, but apparently not. At a loss what to have for breakfast now. Other cereals are out of the question as they contain too much sugar. Even branflakes are no good as they are so high in sugar they make me feel quite ill.
Kippers. ?

FredFish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@FredFish
I fast in the morning apart from having my bulletproof coffee. Breakfast is just that breaking the fast - it's a cultured thing to associate breakfast timing with shortly after waking! ;)

I may give that a try, i.e. skipping breakfast other than a cup of tea or coffee. My blood sugar is still somewhat high in a morning anyway. The only doubt is that I'm supposed to take some diabetic medication with breakfast i.e. 1000 mg Velmetia + 30 mg gliclazide and not sure how they'd settle on an empty stomach.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yogurt 5.5 per 100g with berries and a sprinkle of Liz's granola. Total Greek yogurt is popular amongst us lot. I do my own using the easiyo system

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
This morning it was bacon, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. No bread, no cereals. White tea with slendida sugar sub.

So peeps what's with the bullet proof coffee ? ...I love my coffee and have a nespresso machine lying practically unused.

Also normal bread ( Seeded batch ), spikes me big time, but would love a piece of hot toast dripping in real butter. So what nice tasting low carb breads are readily available in the UK please ?

Thanks in advance

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mine varies ;-

Either,
A small yogurt
Small banana or
GF crumpet

depends on the time factor or how I'm feeling ( nausea or not)

RRB :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd not recommend it then - well, not until you consistently get your fasting blood glucose levels down to where you're comfortable.

I'd suggest to keep your carb consumption to a minimum for breakfast - insulin in the morning metabolises blood glucose storage more than afternoon and evening.

If you're taking medication with your meal after waking you should continue that regime and only change that in consultation with whoever prescribed the medication.

Absolutely agree.

I never ate breakfast, for about 15 years.

And I'm convinced it aggravated my blood glucose control problems and caused my raised fasting glucose levels (aka dawn phenomenon). Even now, if I eat breakfast late, I feel 'off' all day and it hikes my morning fasting up for the next day or two.

I heartily recommend a no-carb protein breakfast (like scrambled eggs, bacon, omelette, or even cheese).
Once you get used to it, you realise what a difference it makes.

A

AnnieC

Yogurt 5.5 per 100g with berries and a sprinkle of Liz's granola. Total Greek yogurt is popular amongst us lot. I do my own using the easiyo system
I make the Greek unsweetened EasiYo yogurt really thick and lovely me my husband and the dog all have it.. just a little for the dog each day she waits for hers when we have ours

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite breakfast is now strawberries with Greek style natural yogurt and chia seeds. Wonderful...yum:)

Reactions: 3 people

Krosagro

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I ate breakfast very seldom, but always drink a cup o coffee. However, sometimes it can be omelet with cheese and bacon

Last edited by a moderator:

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm well pleased today, had bacon, scrambled eggs, mushrooms and left over Savoy cabbage after a fasting reading of 5.7 , just done a random and it's down to 4.7 woot: woot.

Yesterday I had a total of 72g carb, expecting a spike this morning, thankfully it didn't happen:)