Best BS numbers within 7 days of diagnosis - Thanks Guys!

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Hi all, I thought I should share my test numbers today as its the 7th day since I started testing and about 12 days since diagnosis.
RECAP:

Hba1c 86 - 12.3% on diagnosis

Initially diet and exercise suggested by GP but DN prescribed 500mg Metformin
Two days of Metformin to date.
LC diet mainly, cut out cakes, biscuits, fizzy drinks, juice drinks, pizza, some fruits,
Last 6 days out of 7 regular exercise. Footy last Friday 1.5 hours and 5 days of walking between 35 and 45 mins each day in the morning.
Foods mainly breakfast of 2 slices of Hi-lo high fibre low fat brown bread, scrambled or boiled egg, carrot juice with celery and apple, 2 days quarter glass of bitter gourd
Lunch typically mix of bean based salads, M&S and TESCO, with olives, tomatoes, pasta, spinach, roast aubergines etc. nibbles walnuts and almonds in between when needed. Evening dinner various curries but with smaller portions, apple, salad of lettuce, red onions radish, cucumber, plus non fat Greek yoghurt. 3 cups of tea over course of day with light crackers.

Numbers as high as 17 after dinner at start. Struggled to get below 8.5 in first 5 days in morning before breakfast.

Today's numbers - 7.18 am - 7.5 mmol before breakfast after waking
9.46 am 6.2 mmol 40 minutes exercise after breakfast of two slices hi lo bread, small plate of baked beans, glass of carrot juice with celery and apple, quarter glass of bitter gourd all freshly juiced.
11.08 am 7.00 mmol
12.30 pm lunch of Tesco salad, bean based, tomatoes, dried tomatoes, olives, pasta, boiled egg, half a bottle of water. 3 small pieces of coconut and a few walnuts
14.58 pm 6.4 mmol

I am feeling quite pleased with myself. I still want to get it lower, exercise and diet already eased waistband my BMI is 29 so at the extreme end of overweight. Be gald to get that down.

THANK YOU to all the LEGENDS on the forum who have been giving me calm measured advice. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE! I know its eraly days yet, but improving numbers from disciplined action proves it CAN be done. This is from someone who just never believed they would be able to resist all the rubbish foods. ONWARDS and UPWARDS

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those numbers are looking pretty good Beatdise. Well done.

One question, your testing times look a bit out of sinc. Are you testing immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after your first bite? This is the best way to do it initially, then later you can add tests at 1 hour to see where your bigger peaks might be. The aim is to keep the rise from before eating and plus 2 hours under 2mmol/l.

Reactions: 3 people

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Those numbers are looking pretty good Beatdise. Well done.

One question, your testing times look a bit out of sinc. Are you testing immediately before you eat and again 2 hours after your first bite? This is the best way to do it initially, then later you can add tests at 1 hour to see where your bigger peaks might be. The aim is to keep the rise from before eating and plus 2 hours under 2mmol/l.

Thanks Bluetit. You are right the times are a bit out of sync. Practicality issues. For consistency I will only actually measure before and two hours later. Thanks for reminder.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only mention it because the 2 hour post meal reading is the only one we have guidelines for, and if you don't test immediately before you eat, you have no idea how much rise you had. I know its hard to fit it into daily life.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
Pre-prandial testing is obvious - just before you eat but, post-prandial is 2 hours after you've finished eating:

See here.

I'm sure it won't make that much difference - unless you take a long time to eat. ;)

Hope that helps.
Many thanks. YOU really are the MAN if I could emulate you with similar numbers I would be very pleased.

beatdise

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gym workouts
You're very kind. :)
Considering how well you're doing in such a short time - you'll probably achieve better figures than me at your next HbA1c. :cool:

In the end the race is with yourself and it's consistency that's the key to avoiding future complications brought on by uncontrolled blood glucose levels.

Well done on your fabulous achievement to this point - keep going, you will get there. :happy:
Thanks nomistheman. I totally agree its my own race and get IT. But seeing your numbers and others provides inspiration and encouragement to people like and others. The VALUE of that is immeasurable. I have been observing how NEWBIES are panic stricken at their numbers and other issues, when they see how others who might have had worse numbers and other challenges overcome them, slowly but surely get through it with the support and advice of people like you.
I am at the moment determined because I have so much life in me and still so much to see and do that I don't want to take risks of complications. I am fortunate to have made the progress I have and hope I continue to sustain it. I wish the best of HEALTH for everyone and clearly people on this forum do to. THANKS AGAIN!

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food acts very quickly. It should be 2 hours after first bite, (I have seen how quickly glucose sweets act on someone having a hypo. But 2 hours is Just a figure that is averaging the effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Food acts very quickly. It should be 2 hours after first bite, (I have seen how quickly glucose sweets act on some one having a hypo. But 2 hours is Just a figure that is averaging the effect.

Agree entirely. 2 hours after first bite. Some foods convert to glucose as soon as they are in the mouth.