Rubbish customer service at McDonalds

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
As a diabetic and a low carber I generally avoid McDonalds but every now and then I take the kids. I let them have their happy meal and I have double espresso with a bit of sweetener. Although there was plenty of sugar there was no sweetener out so I went to the counter to ask for some. I explained that I was diabetic but was told I'd have to make do with sugar or go without. Well done McDonalds at Fleet Services. Think you might need to give some Customer Services training to your shift managers! I would complain to your head office but last time I did and you told me someone would ring me you didn't! So am giving your manager prat of the week award! Congrats!

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A similar thing happened to me in a motorway services. No sweetener at all, and just as bad, no vinegar! We don't provide these any more was the answer.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was there at lunchtime getting a cheeseburger happy meal............lol............

I don't think I have ever seen sweeteners at McDonalds, but then again, I have never needed to look for any......

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You can get a salad there now with a choice of protein!!!!!!!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
No sweetener? I thought food outlets were required to provide sugar alternatives!

I haven't been to McDonald's in a long time... find it all a bit heavy and greasy for my liking. The closest I go to grease is the bacon grease I plop in to my scrambled eggs ;)

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Guess I've been lucky. Every McDonald's I've ever been to has sweetener. Regardless, I keep some in my purse at all times, just in case.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Must admit I've never ever asked for a sweetener at any eating establishment, but you would expect if you did they would be able to provide one. as an alternative to sugar.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't use a sweetener nowadays because they seem to affect me in the same way as sugar, but then you know I'm weird right?

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No sweetener? I thought food outlets were required to provide sugar alternatives!

I haven't been to McDonald's in a long time... find it all a bit heavy and greasy for my liking. The closest I go to grease is the bacon grease I plop in to my scrambled eggs ;)
Not my choice either but had someone else's kid who eats a lot of that kind of food. It was the shocking attitude and total lack of interest which bugged. Once happened at the cinema and they gave me a staff sweetener. Very wary about salad. Last time we went out and had a salad my blood sugar shot through the roof because of the amount of sugar in the dressing.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't use a sweetener nowadays because they seem to affect me in the same way as sugar, but then you know I'm weird right?

I can't use sweeteners, especially, but not exclusively, aspartame - even the cough mixture I have to take at present has sugar in it, because I can't take the alternatives. Someone bought me some Stevia when it first came out and I tried a little on the tip of my finger - I was in bed for 2 days and pretty grotty on the third!

I try to go without any kind of sugar or sweetener altogether, but sometimes, especially with medicines, it's impossible, so sugar it has to be.

I also don't go to McDonalds - we don't have one near us so I can't be tempted. But bacon fat is another thing altogether. Mmmm.

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone bought me some Stevia when it first came out and I tried a little on the tip of my finger - I was in bed for 2 days and pretty grotty on the third!

How did it make you feel?

I have a problem with some sweeteners.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Someone bought me some Stevia when it first came out and I tried a little on the tip of my finger - I was in bed for 2 days and pretty grotty on the third!

Serious headache - back to my migraine days. Vomiting. Weak and exhausted. Flu-like symptoms. Slept around the clock (waking occasionally to see if I was still alive only to find I still wanted to be sick and had aching joints and muscles) on the 2nd day. Utterly exhausted on the 3rd. Sorbitol in some tablets is not too bad and malt based sweeteners are OK but dextrose (found in an awful lot of processed meats and other foods) is a bad idea for me.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Scandichic It is a disgrace that you were badly treated. These people should have provided you with,
Splenda Sweetener Sachet
Maltodextrin, Sucralose (1%) I think.
However the good news is you may never visit these restaurants again which can only be good for your health.
Thank goodness you took somebody else's kids there and not your own.
I hope you don't think I am unfair, because my wife and I went to macdonalds yesterday with somebody else's kids. ( I had coffee with no milk nor sugar)

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
I got a wife, who is not Diabetic,
She has a handbag, and its her job to carry the sweetener.
One of the reasons I married her

He He;)

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Scandichic It is a disgrace that you were badly treated. These people should have provided you with,
Splenda Sweetener Sachet
Maltodextrin, Sucralose (1%) I think.
However the good news is you may never visit these restaurants again which can only be good for your health.
Thank goodness you took somebody else's kids there and not your own.
I hope you don't think I am unfair, because my wife and I went to macdonalds yesterday with somebody else's kids. ( I had coffee with no milk nor sugar)
No, I took mine there because I had someone else's kid who is mostly fed that kind of stuff and didn't want my yummy lchf picnic (mini sausages, pieces of cheese, cucumber, cherry tomatoes)
Really grateful for your support as I didn't know if I was overreacting! Bearing in mind the kind of food they serve:depressed: my youngest only likes their mochachino frappe but will just about eat the fries. Eldest likes it though! We go rarely!

A

AnnieC

I use Stevia have never had a problem with it but then I only use it to sprinkle on frozen berries that I have with greek yogurt as they are so sour

C

chris lowe

That's why I always carry a packet of sweeteners in my bag. It's suprising how many cafes etc don't have sweeteners and look at you as if you're mad when you ask for them. I'm sure they would look less shocked if I asked for a line of coke.